Menu

Do I get a new fridge.....or Ottakee's water issues

Ottakee

When we bought our house almost 6 years ago we bought a new fridge with water in the door/ice maker.  Because the opening was small, the ONLY fridge that would fit that had an ice and water was a side by side.  I LOVED that feature but have hated the fridge itself ever since we bought it.

Day 2 of having it here I woke up to our brand new laminate flooring BUCKLED all over.  Come to find out the guys that installed it had not tightened the water line and it had leaked.  We ended up getting our flooring replaced by them since it was their fault.

Fast forward to today.....I woke up this morning and noticed a few small places where the laminate floor wasn't smooth.  I questioned the kids and no one said they had spilled water, etc. and the floor was dry.  Tonight I noticed another small spot buckled up so I had ds and his friend carefully move my fridge.  Come to find out there is a small plastic piece in the back near the water line that had a small crack in it and it was leaking from there and because it was in the far back corner of the fridge it was actually running UNDER my flooring.....which made it buckle even though the top of the floor was dry.

Water is now off and leak has stopped.  Floor is still a bit buckled but possibly will go down as it dries from underneath.

NEVER EVER put laminate in a kitchen.....esp. not with a fridge that leaks.  We would have done luxury vinyl plank flooring had that been an option back then. 

The question now is.........do I get a new fridge that I would actually LIKE and maybe even LOVE minus the ice/water in the door or just suck it up and keep this fridge as it does work and now with the water off it doesn't leak.

Possibility 3 is to call and see about it being repaired or googling it once we figure out model number and see if we can replace the piece.

The flooring is just going to have to stay for now as this is an open concept home and the same flooring runs kitchen, dining area, hearth room, down 2 halls, into one bathrooms, our master bedroom, etc.

• Like 1

Our current plan is still stay here for 2 years............or forever.  The only reason we would move is to downsize but we have no mortgage and we have the lowest tax rate in the county so it would have to be a really good deal for us to move.

I'd check into repairing it. Turning the water off means no automatic ice right? That would be a deal breaker here. I'm not interested in making ice manually.  Weird- I'll make noodles from scratch and think it's perfectly reasonable but I balk at filling ice trays. 

Moral: Don't listen to me. I am lazy. 

I detest laminate flooring (and I do have some), so I would be saving all of my pennies to replace that, because my fridge needs are pretty simple (I actually got rid of the fridge our house came with because it had a water/ice line, to me that is just something else to break). 

BUT, if you are greatly troubled by the fridge, then sell the one you have (fix it first, it's easy enough), and use that as partial payment towards one you want.

I'd find out how much the repair cost. We moved into a house w/water in the door and we're never going back. We also have tile in the kitchen, which is a good thing as the kids and the dog are both messy w/their water. So we'd have drips even w/o the water in the door of the refer.

There were 1 or 2 threads on WTM recently about people who had refrigerators with water/ice issues caused by a piece of metal being slightly out of alignment. What would it cost for a service person to come to your house and check out your refrigerator?   Possibly it is something that can be fixed inexpensively?

I seem to remember many years ago being told that if I bought a refrigerator without an ice maker I would probably never have any problems with it. That may also apply to water in the door and other high-end features?  the feature one does not have is a feature one will never have issues with.

I can live with it minus the water and ice. I could see about getting it fixed (DH is finding the manual and we will google the part).

I just hate the side by side style. It is so hard to fit things in the fridge or freezer, things get shoved in the back and you can't see them, etc.

I just don't think I can justify the cost

I hate side by sides.

I also don't like the noise from ice makers in fridges, it's so random and annoying.

If I had unlimited funds, in your situation I would buy a new 3 door fridge with a bottom freezer, or maybe even a 4 door with one of those compartments that is as wide as a sheet cake and can be set to either freezer or fridge temperatures.  I would try to find one without a water system, or if it had a water system I would not hook it up.  And then I would also buy a stand alone ice maker and put it in the basement.  I'd keep ice in the kitchen freezer from it, in one of those rectangular buckets with a diagonal opening (similar to a magazine box) that fits along the side wall of it.  And I'd only have to run the ice maker 1-2X per week.   https://www.lowes.com/pd/NewAir-3-6-lb-Ice-Maker/1000207643

Edited by Carol in Cal.