Menu

Need help quick, on negotiating salary

Janeway

When husband was told that a job offer was coming in today, he was told a specific salary. But when it came through, the salary was 10% less than what he was originally told. I told my husband to just go back and ask for the 10% more. He says he is afraid if he does, they will pull the offer and give the job to someone else.  I think you all said you have never heard of that happening, that the worst that happens is usually that the other side could say no. My husband has never ever negotiated before and he is awful when anything comes to anything feeling like confrontation or even going against the grain. But I think it would not hurt to ask. What do you all think?

edited to update: he asked. Not sure why he was given that one figure originally, but it won't be able to go up. Apparently, the figure he was given originally is pretty much what his new boss-to-be makes. Lots of numbers given to husband by the recruiter ended up being wrong, so this is a disappointment. He is taking the job, but he will likely be looking for another one next year at this time. I will be making a separate post about the health insurance.

Edited by Janeway
  • Like 1

Does your husband knows who he is going to be reporting to? The job offer from HR from a former company was lower than what my husband's reporting head offered verbally. So my husband spoke to the reporting head and the guy thrash it out with HR. It took them more than a week to settle internally and HR to come up with a revised offer.

Was stock options included in the salary offered? Was any delayed bonus (after 3 months probation kind of thing) offered? For my husband's first tech employer, the annual salary quoted included guaranteed bonus after a year and stock options spread throughout the year. So my husband spent quite some time over the phone to get a breakdown of the different components. When the offer came, he just tallied with what was verbally promised component by component.

• Like 2

It's acceptable to ask why the numbers are different. Maybe they have an explanation or maybe they will pony up the difference. But I've never heard of a company withdrawing an offer based on respectful questioning of said offer. So I'd say ask away. 

• Like 3

I would make an inquiry but start out emphasizing how much he is looking forward to the job thanking them for the offer however, he is confused by the inconsistency concerning the salary.

It would be good here, to actually screen shot both numbers side by side.

End by saying again how he is looking forward to the new job.

• Like 4

He was told it would be for a specific number. It came in 10% less.  It might be the result of a clerical error. That they copied and edited a previous offer that had been made. Or, it could be that they are trying to screw him, before he begins working for them.  Hopefully it is the former.  If it is the latter, your DH is walking on glass with them.  NOTHING CAN BE VERBAL. NOTHING CAN BE AMBIGUOUS. This is not negotiating salary as in your thread title, this is them doing what they said they would do.  

• Like 1

He was told it would be for a specific number. It came in 10% less.  It might be the result of a clerical error. That they copied and edited a previous offer that had been made. Or, it could be that they are trying to screw him, before he begins working for them.  Hopefully it is the former.  If it is the latter, your DH is walking on glass with them.  NOTHING CAN BE VERBAL. NOTHING CAN BE AMBIGUOUS. This is not negotiating salary as in your thread title, this is them doing what they said they would do.  

I agree hopefully this is just an error - and they'll pony up the difference. and there is a good chance it is just a difference between the dept and HR.

if it was deliberate . . . . consider this a warning about this company from now on, and everything must be in writing.

and even if it was an error . . everything should always be in writing.  dh had one job, the ceo made him a really sweet offer.   dh got it in writing asap.  a few months later, the ceo was trying to figure out how to get out of it.

• Like 1

RE: Update in post #1     Is the "Recruiter" you refer to someone who is an employee of the company, or someone who is a "headhunter", working outside the company, who works on commission>  If it is someone within the company, I would be really angry. If it is an outside "headhunter", they tend to paint a rosy picture of things.

ETA: You need to work on this NOW.  Once your DH begins working there, you have zero leverage. Get everything in writing and do not allow anything to be ambiguous. Are moving expenses involved? Will they buy your old house? What will they do for you?

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

RE: Update in post #1     Is the "Recruiter" you refer to someone who is an employee of the company, or someone who is a "headhunter", working outside the company, who works on commission>  If it is someone within the company, I would be really angry. If it is an outside "headhunter", they tend to paint a rosy picture of things.

ETA: You need to work on this NOW.  Once your DH begins working there, you have zero leverage. Get everything in writing and do not allow anything to be ambiguous. Are moving expenses involved? Will they buy your old house? What will they do for you?

No relocation involved. The job is in our area. The recruiter is not with the company but rather someone who works on commission.

• Like 1

No relocation involved. The job is in our area. The recruiter is not with the company but rather someone who works on commission.

At very least he needs to point out (to Personnel? Human Resources?) that their on-commission recruiter used FALSE numbers to get him to accept the job (and get the recruiter the commission). 

• Like 2

The recruiter is not with the company but rather someone who works on commission.

Was the recruiter the one who quoted the higher pay? Or the interviewer? I have used headhunters since I was an undergrad and pay packet was negotiated between the interviewer(s) and me. The headhunters would give me the job scope and ballpark figure for each job he thinks I might consider applying. It is the same way for my husband, the headhunters get him the interviews but he handle the salary negotiations.

If it was the recruiter quoting a higher figure, I would diplomatically ask if there was a misunderstanding on offered pay. After all we don't know who pull a fast one here. I know recruiters and HR who pull a fast one so I won't assume either party as the guilty party without clarification.

If it was an interviewer from the company quoting a higher figure, I would politely bring it up that the written offer is lowered than verbally agreed on.

• Like 2

From my own experience some Recruiters had no idea what the hiring Manager was looking for. At least one job assignment I interviewed for and got had nothing to do with the technical stuff the Recruiter told me they needed. Protect your family the best you can.

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

Maybe let them win with the 10% salary reduction but try to get them to sweeten the pot with better health insurance and Disability Insurance. Maybe an additional week of vacation after one year.

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk