Menu

Encouragement needed to overcome "used clothing heebie jeebies"

Does anyone else get creeped out by the thought of wearing used clothing? When I walk into a thrift store, all I can think about is "who owned this item" and "was their house clean" and "were they clean" and on and on and on. I know it's totally irrational because you wash it and you'd never know the difference, but I can't get past it. I live in a town with several Goodwill-type stores and a few consignment stores, and the income level is middle to low for the most part. Thus, the clothing reflects that. My normal price range for new clothing is a Kohls/Target type of store, or JC Penney at the most. It's not like I'm accustomed to high-end clothing. I don't have a problem buying my children used clothing, but I can't do it for me. Has anyone else been successful in overcoming a similar neurosis?

Think "bleach" - just wash stuff with diluted bleach before wearing and any germies will be gone.

After all - even new stuff from the store you do not know who else has tried it on before you, or handled it during manufacture/packing/transportation/unpacking and display. :-)

Now - used shoes, I won't go there. Winter boots - ok (I just spray the heck out of them with Lysol first).

I have bought exactly one new item of clothing between all three of my kids: a light-blue "Buffalo Stampede" onesie that I got at Kohl's when I was pregnant with my first.

We have been given some new clothes, but 99% of what my kids wear is used.

I simply don't have the money for new clothes, and with used, I never have to worry about them staining it, because if I paid 99 cents for it, who cares?

Tara

Well, have you ever thought about the fact that the clothes you buy at the store have been tried on by other people? Who might not be clean? And if you try the clothes on there at the store, then they haven't even been washed yet.

I've worn/bought used all my life, & it doesn't bother me at all. I consider it good stewardship of my $ & my space. For ex, it's much easier for me to part w/ my favorite baby clothes, etc., knowing someone else will get to love them as much as I have.

It might be nice, though, to know something about the clothes' previous owners. I have some clothes that my gr-grmother bought in the 60s that are SO cool & vintage now, & whenever I wear them I think of her. I think of the stories my grdad told, incl the first spring after they got married when they wanted new spring clothes. So they sold their CAR. LOL. I can't imagine, but the history behind them makes me smile.

My Mom just goes berserk when I tell her of our latest Goodwill finds, so I don't tell her anymore! She believes the used clothes still contain the *energies* of the previous owners. I wonder what those poor people are doing without their energies? :D She would recommend that I burn sage by them (smudge) to remove all that negativity! My goodness...nothing that a nice run through the washing machine with some happy soap won't cure! Not to worry...

Ginger

Did you ever share clothes with your girlfriends when you were in high school? Used clothing isn't all that different.

I guess I don't assume everyone I don't know is unclean. :confused:

Just wash it before you wear it.

Edited by Crissy

Has anyone else been successful in overcoming a similar neurosis?

When I come home, I immediately go to the laundry room and pull the tags off and wash. Any toys, etc, get a hot water and soap rub-down before anyone touches them. Some things go in the dishwasher. Anything that can't get this treatment, I don't bring home.

[QUOTE=Blueridge;618704]My Mom just goes berserk when I tell her of our latest Goodwill finds, so I don't tell her anymore! She believes the used clothes still contain the *energies* of the previous owners. I wonder what those poor people are doing without their energies? :D She would recommend that I burn sage by them (smudge) to remove all that negativity! My goodness...nothing that a nice run through the washing machine with some happy soap won't cure! Not to worry...

Ginger

This made me laugh. I know someone who suggested that they pray over the used things they brought into their house in case there were evil spirits in the house of the previous owner. :001_huh:

This made me laugh. I know someone who suggested that they pray over the used things they brought into their house in case there were evil spirits in the house of the previous owner. :001_huh:

Honestly, to me this doesn't sound any more weird than most religious practices. I don't see why it's ok to mock it ....

Back to the topic - wash in hot water, dry in the dryer with heat. I usually only get tshirts & sweats etc. so they can take this treatment.

I did get a wool coat once & had it dry cleaned.

I don't understand who buys the bras & lingerie. I can't get anywhere near that section.

Does anyone else get creeped out by the thought of wearing used clothing? When I walk into a thrift store, all I can think about is "who owned this item" and "was their house clean" and "were they clean" and on and on and on. I know it's totally irrational because you wash it and you'd never know the difference, but I can't get past it. I live in a town with several Goodwill-type stores and a few consignment stores, and the income level is middle to low for the most part. Thus, the clothing reflects that. My normal price range for new clothing is a Kohls/Target type of store, or JC Penney at the most. It's not like I'm accustomed to high-end clothing. I don't have a problem buying my children used clothing, but I can't do it for me. Has anyone else been successful in overcoming a similar neurosis?

I've had great luck over the years shopping in thrift and consignment shops, but I don't go that often. If you've got a number of them available, check them all out to see what kind of merchandise they have and how it's handled. Some of the smaller, independent shops have very nice things at a bargain and are selective of what they sell due to more limited space. Some places offer "higher-end" things at similar prices to what you spend new at the chain stores. For me, I'd rather have fewer pieces that are nicer and will last longer.

And like you said, wash it first.

Fwiw, the only skin rash I've ever gotten was around my waist a day after I'd been trying things on at one of those fashion discounter places....new clothes!! blech.

ETA: sorry :lol: not sure that last bit will cure your heebie jeebies, I just meant that it can help if you're selective.

Edited by lovemyboys

The majority of our clothes have come from second hand stores as well. I am quick to wash everything when we get home and agree that it really isn't any different than buying something that many other people have already tried on. Thanks to second hand stores our closets are full of expensive brands of clothes that are very well made that I would never be able to afford new.

I'll confess to struggling with buying clothes at thrift stores. The smell really gets to me for one thing. I'm very sensitive to smells. That being said, I have gotten and used tons of hand me downs from friends over the years and don't have a problem with that.

I have bought a few select items for my children from thrift stores, though.

Cindy

Wasn't it someone here on this board, from the midwest, who took her girls to a goodwill for a funny fashion day?

They tried on outrageous, interesting and actually nice combos and took pictures of each other at the store. She posted it on her blog, with a link for us, if I remember.

I just figure once it's washed, all is fine. Afterall, you have no idea how many times a piece of clothing has been tried on in a fitting room. Sure it's not the same, but I cannot image how I'd catch anything from it.

I have a harder time not getting grossed out eating at a restaurant where lots of people have touched the seats and table.

I have a harder time not getting grossed out eating at a restaurant where lots of people have touched the seats and table.

Well, yeah! And stay away from the salt & pepper shakers too. How many dirty hands have handled those? Eeeewww!!

Oh, and know what really grosses me out? The electronic screen-thingy in the Costco pharmacy where you have to use their pen to sign that you received the Rx...how many sick people have coughed into their hand and then picked that pen right up?!

(BTW, I'm ok with thrift store clothes as long as I can wash them first.)