Menu

Is anyone here near Colorado Springs? Thinking of taking a trip

Chris in VA

Dd's bf lives at Petersen, so we are thinking of visiting in Oct. I'd not have a car, but would love to be able to do "something" fun while there. (He will take her around for a couple of days and I don't want to hang too closely to them.) Any hotel recs or ideas of things I could do on my own that would not involve an expensive Uber ride would be welcome. 

I love Colorado Springs and have a sibling living there. But I have rented a car when I was there; I don't really know how you would get around without one. Garden of the Gods is a wonderful hike or horseback ride through Academy Stables. The USAFA is awesome and the chapel is a stunning acheivement of architecture. I took the cog railway up to Pike's Peak, which is especially magnificent for east-coasters with our little bitty mountains. ;) We did some other activities (Cave of the Winds, Cheyenne Zoo), but those three were the best. Oh, and the Anasazi Cliff Dwellers historical site and museum was very interesting, too. I needed a car for them all, though. Best Western near the academy is a terrible hotel, or it was when I stayed there several years ago. When I go again, I will probably do a VRBO or Air B&B.

• Like 1

I live on the northeast side of Colorado Springs.  From my experience the better hotels are on the north end ( I have no idea what is out there).  BUT, that means a longer Uber ride if that's what you're looking at for transportation and not too close to Peterson.  Colorado Springs is very sprawly.  Most of the cool stuff to see and do is in the west of town closer to the mountains.  Peterson is on the east side.  I too would advise you get a tourist guide.  Personally, I like taking people to Garden of the Gods and the zoo.  Both are very interesting.  Manitou is for the people who like to experience a little flash back to the 70s hippy lifestyle IMO.  Little shops - cool little mountain town.

I'm from the Springs although I no longer live there. I have multiple contacts and I am sure I could find someone willing to help you out for a couple of days and act as a guide. However, I interpret TheElfQueen's response as an invitation to do things with you. TEQ, correct me if I'm wrong.

One suggestion, get up early one day and drive to The Paint Mines in Calhan to watch the sunrise. You will not be disappointed. Take your camera.

Giving you ideas of things to do and where to go will depend on your personal interests. The list would be different for someone who is outdoorsy vs someone who prefers city life. 

There is a lot in Colorado Springs. What types of activities do you consider fun? As others have mentioned, Garden of the Gods is a must. Unfortunately, there is not a good public transportation system and everything is spread out.

• Like 1

We are headed to Colorado Springs in July.  We were there a few years ago.  Last time we stayed at a nice Residence Inn.  This time we have rented a really, really nice AirBnB that I am excited about.  I second Garden of the Gods as a tourist!  Tour the USOC campus.  

• Like 1

You could stay at Great Wolf Lodge. It's almost resort like. Not exactly an iconic Colorado Springs activity, but something to do without a car.

I wouldn't do that, assuming the OP is in VA as her username suggest. There's a Great Wolf Lodge in VA; why go to one while 2,500 miles away? It's like traveling to Paris and eating at McDonalds. 😉

If I were going there and absolutely couldn't afford transportation I would stay at the LaQuinta right at Garden of the Gods or something similar and plan to explore just that one beautiful and iconic CO feature. Or stay right next to Paint Mines as suggested here and just explore that one thing.

I wouldn't do that, assuming the OP is in VA as her username suggest. There's a Great Wolf Lodge in VA; why go to one while 2,500 miles away? It's like traveling to Paris and eating at McDonalds. 😉

If I were going there and absolutely couldn't afford transportation I would stay at the LaQuinta right at Garden of the Gods or something similar and plan to explore just that one beautiful and iconic CO feature. Or stay right next to Paint Mines as suggested here and just explore that one thing.

There is absolutely no where to stay near the paint mines!!

I do like the idea of staying near garden of the gods. It isn't far from old Colorado city which has shops and restaurants.

• Like 1