Menu

Hard water - rust stain on sports jersey. HELP!

KathyBC

Has anyone had any success removing rust from fabric? In the past, I have had no luck.

Life got hectic and I didn't get to town to buy softener salt. My dd asked me to wash her new soccer jersey for tomorrow's game and without thinking, I did.

Dark blue jersey with white stripes on the sleeves - stripes which are now orange.  :crying:  

I have it sitting on a towel with a paste of salt and vinegar on the sleeves. I can rinse with bottled water until the now-filled water softener runs tonight. But tell me the truth - it's wrecked isn't it?

I'm not a stain remover person, so this may be the same as what you're doing, but looking at my sons notes from a presentation he did recently on stain removal:

Mineral

Considerations: metallic. So treat with mild acidic reagents, neutralize with alkaline

Rust on cotton

1. Lime juice and salt

2. Dilute oxalic acid, neutralize with dilute borax

No idea what that means and he's sleeping, but thought I'd pass it along.

• Like 1

I'm not a stain remover person, so this may be the same as what you're doing, but looking at my sons notes from a presentation he did recently on stain removal:

Mineral

Considerations: metallic. So treat with mild acidic reagents, neutralize with alkaline

Rust on cotton

1. Lime juice and salt

2. Dilute oxalic acid, neutralize with dilute borax

No idea what that means and he's sleeping, but thought I'd pass it along.

Awesome!

Unusually for me, I actually had a couple of lemons in the fridge. I cut one into wedges and rubbed it onto the white stripes, along with the salt and vinegar paste.

It does seem to helping somewhat!!! I'll give it a bottled water rinse and hang to dry at bedtime. Fingers crossed, it might just be salvageable.

Iron out works well. 

So does lemon juice and sunshine (spray on lemon juice with spray bottle, hang out to dry  in sunshine.  Magic!)

(We have the most orange water in the world.  Mostly we simply don't bother to own white clothing)

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1

I've  had good luck getting sunblock stains (basically, rust) out with generic CLR from the dollar stores.  Soak in clr for 30-60 minutes.     Clothes don't come out sparkling white, but the item isn't stained. Have not tried with genuine CLR--fear it might be too strong.  

• Like 1

Iron out works well. 

So does lemon juice and sunshine (spray on lemon juice with spray bottle, hang out to dry  in sunshine.  Magic!)

(We have the most orange water in the world.  Mostly we simply don't bother to own white clothing)

It was looking pretty good this morning. I will go at it again with lemon juice, salt and sunshine tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, and see if it can look as good as new.

We no longer own whites either. Or at least none of us notice anymore the obvious non-white state of the odd pair of sports socks.

I've  had good luck getting sunblock stains (basically, rust) out with generic CLR from the dollar stores.  Soak in clr for 30-60 minutes.     Clothes don't come out sparkling white, but the item isn't stained. Have not tried with genuine CLR--fear it might be too strong.  

I just got a sunblock stain on a newish black t-shirt. I didn't realize that was also rust. DH had thought CLR, too. I might have to give that whirl.