Menu

Should the tongue out picture thing bother me as much as it does?

busymama7

I'm not a selfie fan, and while it doesn't *bother* me, the sticking out tongue selfie is just stupid.

It's a visual cliche; it's unattractive; it's meaningless at best, and can be contemptuous (when it's not busy being a cliche); it always looks immature.

That's just my opinion to which I am entitled. :0)

Carry on.

I love you.

Right back at ya!

I started laughing before I even opened the thread when I saw your name in the column as the most recent reply in the thread.

Edited to correct TYPO!*

*Read like "TOE PICK!"

Edited by unsinkable

Am I the only person that is not the slightest bit worried about young adults being suggestive on Facebook (if they are being suggestive)? For one thing, why wouldn't they be suggestive if they want to? For another thing, why shouldn't they be?

• Like 4

Next thing you know, people are going to think you're being suggestive. ;)

Are you saying she's NOT being suggestive? ;)

Would it sound weird to say you don't know if I'm being suggestive or not because you don't know the context and can't see the look on my face?

:leaving:

• Like 2

Am I the only person that is not the slightest bit worried about young adults being suggestive on Facebook (if they are being suggestive)? For one thing, why wouldn't they be suggestive if they want to? For another thing, why shouldn't they be?

Agreed. Young adults own their sexuality, even if it makes us as parents uncomfortable.

• Like 3

I don't see the problem. Einstein's picture with his tongue out is just silly and in good fun - and rather famous. There is nothing suggestive about it.

ETA: If the worst thing your college kid is doing is sticking her tongue out in pictures, you have nothing to worry about.

Speak for yourself. That picture makes me hot.

• Like 3

Some of us have already mentioned that it might hurt their chances of future employment if companies check their social media presence.

Also, being suggestive on social media can attract some extremely unwanted attention, and many people share a lot of personal information online, so it often wouldn't be difficult to figure out where those young people live... and whether they live alone... and where they like to go... and where they walk their dog...

• Like 1

Some of us have already mentioned that it might hurt their chances of future employment if companies check their social media presence.

Also, being suggestive on social media can attract some extremely unwanted attention, and many people share a lot of personal information online, so it often wouldn't be difficult to figure out where those young people live... and whether they live alone... and where they like to go... and where they walk their dog...

That's another thread.

Edited to add, I meant the second paragraph. And it isn't difficult to scrub a social media presence in preparation for finding full-time work.

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 1

I think I know what tongue-out face you're talking about, and it would bug me too.  I do think it has its origins in being a suggestive look, but I don't know if girls who make that face are really thinking too deeply about it.  I do think they are trying to appear a little sassy and cool though.

Would I say anything about it to my girls?  I don't know.  I suppose it would depend more on the bigger picture going on.  I think I'd probably just let it go, though I'd maybe look for an opportunity to crack a joke about it at some point!

• Like 1

So, here is my take on it.  I have an 18yo daughter and work with lots of people in their twenties, so I am pretty familiar with social media.

IMHO....people who repetitively post these super silly photos, due to so not to be suggestive, but to hide their face.BTW>>> I am talking about media where the image sticks around, not Snap Chat/Instagram where the image is deleted in a second or two.  If you smile in a solo selfie, it can take a bit of effort to get a decent shot and people expect it to look decent.  If you look contemplative, people will ask what is wrong.  Sticking out the tongue doesn't have to look good, it is intended to be silly. The photo can be ragged and the expression can be what every the person does in the moment.  Crossed eyes, straight/serious eyes, happy eyes...whatever goes.

It is wayyyyyyy easier to shoot a goofy pix, than having to take a picture that looks decent otherwise. I agree.... It looks ridiculous on an adult but I would not assume it is suggestive.  Eventually, this person will learn that less...is more when it comes to selfies...especially ones like these. She will learn that posting just for the sake of posting selfies, doesn't get you the same attention as an adult as when you are a teen.  Her peers will let her know, either non-verbally (not liking images) or verbally. 

I would just not respond and not say anything.  The less attention she gets from them pix, she will eventually figure out that they aren't working for her anymore. 

I was going to say something similar to this.  I think there is a subconscious thought that they can't really be judged on how good or attractive they look because they are not trying to look attractive.   

• Like 1