Menu

Pulling DD8 from PS

I'm pulling my DD8 out of school today or tomorrow. We homeschooled through 2nd and she went to PS this year for 3rd. Her anxiety has increased a lot over the last couple of months and she's missed a lot of school due to illness. We started suspecting recently that she needed to come back home. I don't think she was playing hooky exactly or trying to get out of school on purpose, she said she liked it and has a friend in class and she really has had nearly back-to-back colds. But I think the anxiety was making it worse. We decided this morning that we would pull her out. She seems relieved. 

I have plenty of stuff to do at home since we were planning on homeschooling 3rd to begin with and I've started gathering for next year already. But how much *should* we do? Should I give her some time before starting in? We afterschool math and a bit of science so I figured we would keep that up. How quickly do I add in more? How much do I add?

I'm just not sure since it's so close to the end of the year. We do plan on homeschooling through the summer, but I always keep a lighter, more flexible schedule then. 

(She has ADHD, SPD, and GAD) 

Probably totally kid dependant. Since it is sooo close to the end of the year, could you offer her a few things to choose from, maybe into part of the summer? Then take a break and stay the new year? Or, let her decompress, hard to say from this side of the computer which would be me helpful for her.

It will perhaps be important to get to stay in contact with her school friend. Can you set up a regular playdate?

Good luck, I hope the change works well for both if you.

Probably totally kid dependant. Since it is sooo close to the end of the year, could you offer her a few things to choose from, maybe into part of the summer? Then take a break and stay the new year? Or, let her decompress, hard to say from this side of the computer which would be me helpful for her.

It will perhaps be important to get to stay in contact with her school friend. Can you set up a regular playdate?

Good luck, I hope the change works well for both if you.

We're going to give her friend our address and phone number and hopefully they can get together. The friend is moving this summer after school is out. So either way there's not much time left with her and I don't want to go out of my way to make them closer just to have that taken away when she moves. It would be good if they can get together once or twice to make up for not seeing her at school, though. 

I think she needs a break from the overwhelming PS schedule, but I also don't want to set a standard of homeschool being a cake walk. IDK, this is hard for me. Part of me wants to jump in and get going with a pretty full schedule because I've been frustrated with the lack of academics at her school. And part of me wants to just give the kid a break and do the bare minimum. 

I don't want to be neglecting the academics, though. I mean, this close to the end of the year is it a big deal if we don't do writing? Don't do history? Just do a bit of math and science (because she LOVES science) and call it good? Maybe add in spelling since I'm starting her back at the end of AAS2. 

I wish I knew what was right! I'm worried about doing what will be best for her anxiety-wise. I have anxiety, too, can ya tell?  :o

• Like 1

I'm pulling my DD8 out of school today or tomorrow. We homeschooled through 2nd and she went to PS this year for 3rd. Her anxiety has increased a lot over the last couple of months and she's missed a lot of school due to illness. We started suspecting recently that she needed to come back home. I don't think she was playing hooky exactly or trying to get out of school on purpose, she said she liked it and has a friend in class and she really has had nearly back-to-back colds. But I think the anxiety was making it worse. We decided this morning that we would pull her out. She seems relieved. 

I have plenty of stuff to do at home since we were planning on homeschooling 3rd to begin with and I've started gathering for next year already. But how much *should* we do? Should I give her some time before starting in? We afterschool math and a bit of science so I figured we would keep that up. How quickly do I add in more? How much do I add?

I'm just not sure since it's so close to the end of the year. We do plan on homeschooling through the summer, but I always keep a lighter, more flexible schedule then. 

(She has ADHD, SPD, and GAD) 

:grouphug:

Figure one month of de-schooling for each month she was in school. IOW, it might take until the fall for her to feel like herself again and be ready to do Official School Stuff. She's just 8; there's no hurry.

• Like 2

I'd do math and science, since it's part of your routine anyway, and then just provide her with lots of time to fill with things she enjoys.  Crafts, playing with her brother, exploring the backyard, running, playing, etc.

She's 8.  It's really not going to matter in the grand scheme of things if she has a few months to decompress.

• Like 3

Thank you all. I guess I needed the assurance that it's okay to not do a full school load right now. I feel guilty pulling her out of school to let her mostly play. But it IS what she needs right now. We will continue with math since she's accustomed to doing that at home anyway. Science a couple times a week as she wants. We'll read, too, which they love. I will make myself keep everything else back for now. 

• Like 1

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: 

I know this can be stressful and it is hard to know the best course of action for your particular child.  She is very young, though, and experiencing unhealthy levels of stress.  Please keep that in mind as you plan things.  This is still her childhood.  She is not a corporate executive working a full time job. :)

Children are hardwired to learn through play.  School doesn't always acknowledge or tap into that.  Let her develop her critical thinking skills and problem solving skills and fine and gross motor skills through play.  You are not harming her by doing so, you are providing developmentally appropriate experiences.

Keep the math and science going but not drill and kill.  Help her to make interesting connections between these subjects and real life.  Help her to explore areas of interest in science and play lots of mathy games.  Have you skimmed through Soror's Relaxed Math Thread?   I think it is pinned here on Gen Ed but if not it is pinned somewhere.  I'll try to find the link.

If she likes history, do some read alouds, maybe a cool history project, or have her pick a relative to learn a bit about, along with the time period they were born in.  Keep it light and fun.

Cuddle and read together.  Go on fun field trips.  Let her pick something she would like to learn more about.  Don't make it a chore.  Just glean some interesting info through read alouds or a fun kid's documentary or something.

Sometimes the detox period is actually the time when they learn the most.  They are no longer under so much stress so their brain is in a better place to learn.  If you try recreating school at home, though, you may just ratchet up the stress again.  

Good luck and best wishes.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 1

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I know this can be stressful and it is hard to know the best course of action for your particular child.  She is very young, though, and experiencing unhealthy levels of stress.  Please keep that in mind as you plan things.  This is still her childhood.  She is not a corporate executive working a full time job. :)

Children are hardwired to learn through play.  School doesn't always acknowledge or tap into that.  Let her develop her critical thinking skills and problem solving skills and fine and gross motor skills through play.  You are not harming her by doing so, you are providing developmentally appropriate experiences.

Keep the math and science going but not drill and kill.  Help her to make interesting connections between these subjects and real life.  Help her to explore areas of interest in science and play lots of mathy games.  Have you skimmed through Soror's Relaxed Math Thread?   I think it is pinned here on Gen Ed but if not it is pinned somewhere.  I'll try to find the link.

If she likes history, do some read alouds, maybe a cool history project, or have her pick a relative to learn a bit about, along with the time period they were born in.  Keep it light and fun.

Cuddle and read together.  Go on fun field trips.  Let her pick something she would like to learn more about.  Don't make it a chore.  Just glean some interesting info through read alouds or a fun kid's documentary or something.

Sometimes the detox period is actually the time when they learn the most.  They are no longer under so much stress so their brain is in a better place to learn.  If you try recreating school at home, though, you may just ratchet up the stress again.  

Good luck and best wishes.

Thank you. Yes her stress level has definitely been much too high. Her OT even noticed at her last session and is concerned. And OT is usually where she is least stressed. I hadn't seen that thread before but found it now. I'll look it over! We do Beast Academy and she loves it. She actually gets excited sometimes when I hand her the book and runs off with it. But I'd love to have some lighter, fun math things, too. For the days BA is too much or just when she needs a break from it. 

It's going to be hard for me to not want to ramp up to a fuller schedule, but I am starting to get excited about a really relaxed time with lots of reading and games and playing outside. I do think that sounds like just what she needs. 

• Like 2

This could also be a good time for you to teach her some hand-work stuff or some creative outlet stuff. Something that she might really enjoy that could provide her with anxiety-relief as she gets older. Otherwise, let her enjoy spring. 

• Like 1

We did all the footwork and paperwork for pulling her out today. She already seems a bit less anxious. She woke up this morning more chipper than she has been on a weekday in a long time. And earlier than I usually have to drag her out of bed. She happily did math this morning (and was sad the BA site didn't have more printables of one page she loved) and then begged for science when we got home from all the school business. I of course obliged.

She's still chewing a lot more than usual, but only on "chewie" her necklace, not on fingers and arms. Only one minor meltdown today and she even handled a disappointment without incident. She ate well (for her) at both lunch and dinner. All better signs than we were seeing a week ago. I'm feeling a lot more confident in this decision. 

• Like 3