Menu

The It's Payday! Teachers Lounge 4-21-2017

scrapbookbuzz

Obvioulsy it's p A y D a Y  here. On a couple of different fronts. So now I can go get groceries and maybe a couple of other things. Oh, yeah, and pay some bills.  -_-

What happends on Payday in your household? Here: I'm usually the one doing the financials, so I pay bills, buy groceries, etc. :driving: Now that, since November, dh's income has been the lowest it's been in years, I also work on figuring out how to s - t - r - e - t - c - h that dollar! Not always an easy task but, with God's help, I'm getting better!

If, after tithing/donating, putting some away for savings, and paying your bills, you had $20 just for you to spend, what would you do with it? Here: in the past, I probably would have spent it on books. But now, hard as it is to believe, I'm working on purging many books  (there is a method to my madness here ), so  I might suggest dh and I go out on a simple date. We haven't done that in awhile! We usually wind up somewhere eating appetizers, which is fine, but this time I think I might have us take those appetizers to a lake that's not too far away.

What's for breakfast? Here: no idea. Maybe I should make some coffee . .  . :biggrinjester:

Talk to me! :bigear:

• Like 3

Payday - It's sort of payday here.  Actual payday is next Thursday, but in order to be sure deposits are made by the correct date, the government generally issues paychecks the Friday before.  It's often late in the day so we don't "see" it until the next day.  Rarely they'll deposit them Monday or Tuesday, always reminding employees that it is not late, but still actually early because of the Thursday official payday.  On payday I put all our money in the places it goes.  I have virtual accounts within our checking account to keep track of automatic payments and what not.  Every penny of my husband's pay is already allocated before he gets paid.

Just $20 left: Hmmm... books most likely.  Maybe a shirt.  I really need a new t-shirt.  I'm bored of the ones I have.

Breakfast: Ummm... nothing yet.  Maybe I'll steal some of Ani's Doritos.

• Like 1

Nothing much happens on payday. For one, I tend to be blissfully unaware of when payday is - it's roughly the 1st and 15th of the month, but if that falls on a weekend or a holiday, then it's the business day before that, or something along those lines. Basically, I only pay attention to it if we've had a lot of expenses - like Tuesday's car repair that ran $500, sigh (ignition coil and spark plug(s?) or something). 

Not a clue what to do with $20. We don't really run on a budget here (tried in the past, but I can't do a budget on my own - I'd need my wife to be on board, or all the money I don't spend gets spent by her).

Cereal for breakfast.

• Like 2

Good morning! 

Dh is a school teacher and only gets paid once per month. I can't say I do anything special that day other than pay some bills that are due the first week of the month. 

I bought myself a new Easter dress and a new purse. I got both for $20 total, so there you go. 

I had coffee and a waffle with sugar free syrup. I used to never eat waffles unless I made them from scratch because of the dairy. I found that Kroger brand gluten free frozen waffles don't have dairy in them, so I buy them for an occasional treat. 

• Like 2

Are we the only people who have all bills automated? I don't think we have a single bill that's not automatic withdrawal. Although, I guess I pay towards the kids' summer camp in installments by showing up at the Y and telling them to put $xxx toward it, which I try to do twice a month - would've done the last payment on Tuesday except we were at the car repair place instead, so I need to check with my wife if I need to wait till next month (it's not due until mid-July).

• Like 3

Good morning!

We don't have a set payday because we're self-employed. Our income varies from month to month depending on how busy we are and whether our customers pay us in a timely fashion. 

If I had $20 left over, I would put it toward the next round of bills (I'm practical and boring like that  ;)).

Breakfast was a Kind bar and an enchilada.

• Like 2

Are we the only people who have all bills automated? I don't think we have a single bill that's not automatic withdrawal. Although, I guess I pay towards the kids' summer camp in installments by showing up at the Y and telling them to put $xxx toward it, which I try to do twice a month - would've done the last payment on Tuesday except we were at the car repair place instead, so I need to check with my wife if I need to wait till next month (it's not due until mid-July).

We don't have enough money to automate our bills. I don't always know if we can pay them all in full.

• Like 5

All of ours are automatic.  I "pay" them on payday by putting them in my virtual accounts inside our regular account so as far as we're concerned the money actually doesn't exist.  Actually, each payday I pay 1/2 of all our bills so our budget is identical every single paycheck (except the two extra ones each year).

• Like 3

Dh is a partner in a law firm, so we don't have a pay day.  He gets an estimate monthly amount and then if they did well that fiscal year, we get a 'bonus' or if we didn't then . . well, I don't know what happens because I guess they are pretty conservative about the projected earnings.  Usually we get a bonus or not.

Dh and I used to pay bills together, but now that everything has gone automated, he does it all.

I think I am spoiled rotten!  My big splurge, which I've been hinting at for a long time to dh would be to get solar power panels on our roof.  The electricity around here goes out quite a bit.  The minute there is a flake of snow or some thunder and lightning!  I want to be off the grid (at least a little bit) with solar.  Once we lost a whole freezer of meat because we lost power for a couple of days during a heat wave.  And I don't want noisy generator.  I want solar!

• Like 3

Amy, Kroger has a brand of gluten-free waffles?? I'm going to have to look more closely in the freezer section today!

Faithr, I agree - solar woudl be great!

luuknam, We don't do automated because sometimes - well, what Jean said.

Selkie, I get that now that I am a 1099 contractor.

• Like 3

We don't have enough money to automate our bills. I don't always know if we can pay them all in full.

I liked that because I understand, not because I like it, of course. 

Sometimes we'll switch a bill to be manual for that month - but that's relatively rare. Before we moved to WNY I don't think we had any automatic bill pay either - I was so happy when we moved and Celery suddenly didn't qualify for free or reduced lunch at school anymore.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 4

Amy, Kroger has a brand of gluten-free waffles?? I'm going to have to look more closely in the freezer section today!

Faithr, I agree - solar woudl be great!

luuknam, We don't do automated because sometimes - well, what Jean said.

Selkie, I get that now that I am a 1099 contractor.

Scrap, they are Simple Truth brand and in the regular freezers not the natural/organic freezers. They are pretty good, too. 

• Like 3

$20 = a couple pair of new earrings. They're my weakness. :)

But what I need are new clothes for summer. Blah. I hate summer clothes (love winter clothes). But I've worn my old summer clothes for so many years in a row that they're getting shabby looking and I'm a little embarrassed to be seen in them. Guess it's time to bite the bullet and get someting new.

• Like 4

Breakfast was coffee and store bought ravioli because kids wanted ravioli for brunch.

Today is pay day but we don't do anything special on pay day.

I just spent $10 of fun money on seven 64floz bottles of TreeTop honeycrisp apple juice and a $5 sub sandwich at Safeway ($5 Friday deals). I would love to spend $20 of fun money on chocolates.

Are we the only people who have all bills automated?

Only one bank credit card payment is automated because that is linked to our checking account. We pay our BOA card by cheque because we didn't want to open a BOA bank account. We pay for our Target card by paying at customer service but we are surrounded by Target stores so that is easy for us to do.

We prefer to scrutinise our electric, gas and internet bills and then pay them online or at the counter.

• Like 3

Thanks for popping in, Arcadia! Now that I've spent way too many hours out and about, followed by maybe an hour at home, I'm off again. This

time to pick up ds from theater class (dd stayed home) and then to the store for my favorite gluten-free baking mix. Then back home to figure out something for dinner and finish prepping for my weekend job. Catch ya all later!

• Like 1