Menu

Help! Need Car Rental Advice

Mary in VA

We just found out yesterday that our 14 year old van is on life support.  It won't make the 2,000 mile round trip to our daughter's college graduation.  We need a van because we are moving all her stuff home between a van and her car.  We are going to attempt doing life with one car for awhile (plus daughter helping with hers) so we planned on renting a van for the trip.  The problem is car rental agencies don't guarantee what kind of vehicle you will get when you go to pick it up.  We need a van where the seats will fold down.  It seems you need to call each location and ask about availability and they won't promise anything until the day before pick-up.  Anyone have some helpful advice for me?

Mary

I'm not sure rental cars can be used to pull u-hauls.  Both our cars, daughters and ours, are too small for a u-haul.  Never thought to driving a pick-up!  We aren't truck people.  Might have problem with rental agencies and no guarantees again.  But I will check that out!

Edited by Mary in VA

I'm not sure rental cars can be used to pull u-hauls.  Both our cars, daughters and ours, are two small for a u-haul.  Never thought to driving a pick-up!  We aren't truck people.  Might have problem with rental agencies and no guarantees again.  But I will check that out!

My dh's truck was in the body shop for 6 weeks last summer and he got an almost identical rental. 

Once our van broke down right before our family road trip vacation, and we were able to rent one from a local car dealership.  It wasn't a specific one like Honda or Ford, but a general used car dealership that also happened to have some new ones as well.  They let us rent a van last minute for our family vacation, and we actually ended up buying it after we returned.  I wonder if you could do something like that?  Then you'd know exactly what van you'd be getting.

Just a warning that renting a minivan is hugely expensive. I'm surprised you can't reserve one, as I've done that several times.

What about a work type van (15 passenger or Ford Transit type) from a uhaul or penske place instead of a car rental agency?

Rent a cheap car driving there--one way--and a uhaul to bring her and her stuff home.

Golly the world has changed. I moved home from college with all my worldly goods in one of the early Honda Civics. Haha. Well, I'm not sure I'd want to go back to that, tho.

When we have reserved a mini van or a 15 passenger van in the past, we have gotten one. I mean you don't know if it's going to be a Toyota or a Chrysler, but you do know it's a van. Unless you live in a really small town, I don't think it would be a problem getting a van.

• Like 1

Try kayak.com. probably need to select airport pick_up and return. Did this over spring break. Got a 7 pass van unlimited mileage for$62 per day. Funny was just checking on an 11 pass van for the 6th graders upcoming birthdate. The van was availlable for $68per. P.s. don't mention at the rental counter to avoid them trying to jam you (this is an state car only)

eta: meant to add that don't tell them at the counter of your intended use.  they tend to jam you what bogus rules if they sense  urgency (e.g. must buy insurance, can't take out of state etc).

Edited by gstharr