Menu

Is homemade Potato Soup high in sodium?

Ginevra

I'm not using any processed ingredients (i.e., no canned soup base). But I don't know if the potatoes themselves make it high in sodium. Planning to make it tonight but MIL had very unstable blood pressure yesterday and I don't want to spark any episodes.

No, a potato has a lot of potassium and very little sodium by itself. It's going to depend on how much you add with the other ingredients. 

If you really want to be sure (it looks like it's important), make an account on something like cronometer.com and enter the ingredients you're going to use. 

• Like 1

No, a potato has a lot of potassium and very little sodium by itself. It's going to depend on how much you add with the other ingredients.

If you really want to be sure (it looks like it's important), make an account on something like cronometer.com and enter the ingredients you're going to use.

Thank you! That's a good idea!

I like the flavor bacon adds to potato soup but in an attempt to be sort of healthy I make the bacon separately and let folks crumble on what they want.

If your soup needs more sodium for flavor, you could also make some bacon separately that allows for others to add a little extra flavor to your soup but grandma can skip it.

BTW, I use turkey bacon. I don't how much healthier that is but it makes me feel better. :)

• Like 1

potatoes aren't high in sodium.  people are just generous with the amount of salt on them.  they suck up the salt in whatever you're making.  which is why if you've oversalted a soup etc/ add a potato that can be removed and it will suck up the salt.

• Like 1

Potatoes have a surprising amount of iodine and potassium, but not all that much salt.

If you make your potato soup with ham or bacon, that's going to increase the salt content somewhat. I'd suggest either putting that on the side for people to add their own, or only adding a very, very small amount, cut tiny so the flavor spreads.

• Like 1