Menu

Rant: power went off with cake in oven

lulubelle

My ds is 13 today! Power went off while cake in the oven!!! The road is blocked off down the street, so something going on. It's been about a half hour now. We had doubled the recipe- 6 eggs, 3 cups sugar... I think it will be dumped and we need to start over, if we get electricity back!!!

My ds is 13 today! Power went off while cake in the oven!!! The road is blocked off down the street, so something going on. It's been about a half hour now. We had doubled the recipe- 6 eggs, 3 cups sugar... I think it will be dumped and we need to start over, if we get electricity back!!!

Do you have a gas grill?

If so, turn it on and preheat it to 350. Put your cake in a second pan (so double up the pans).

Turn one of the burners off in grill, put cake on THAT side (the side with the burner OFF).

Finish baking, monitoring temp and rotating the cake occasionally, so each side is near the burner that is ON the same amount of time.

It's not perfect but it bakes the cake.

• Like 6

Thanks for your ideas, it's been almost 45 minutes and we did not open oven. It has kept baking! It may take another 20 minutes to be complete. Not sure there will be enough heat for that? Still no electricity!

Do any neighbors have an automatic generator that kicks in when electrity goes off? Maybe you can ask to finish the cake at their house, if there is one that you are close enough to ask?

• Like 1

If it's baked, but not enough, you can also alter your dessert -- scoop out the underdone center (this can actually probably be re-baked later) and use the "done" edges as a shell for fruit, top it with frosting -- or scoop out the underdone center, and use the "done" edges to make a trifle, or make them into a layer cake. 

Best of luck. 

• Like 1