Menu

Interviewing for an internship?

swimmermom3

This is so embarrassing, but heck I've asked you all every manner of questions over the years, so here it goes:

What does my 19 yo son need to know or do before an interview for an internship?

He received the note that he is well-qualified and that they would like to see him ASAP.  He needs to email them and give them potential interview dates and times that work around classes.

The only job interview he has ever had was merely a formality because the sailing club knew him and he had volunteered for a couple of years.  He's been to coffee with the dean in a small group and has met routinely with his professors. Other than that, his text to us tonight looked both excited and very anxious.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Treat it like a job interview. Dress appropriately (at minimum a step up from the sort of clothing worn for the job being applied for), be prepared to answer similar sorts of questions to a job interview, except they may actually be interested in his academic pursuits as a regular employer wouldn't.

• Like 3

He should be familiar with the company and also be prepared with questions.  It would be the same as preparing for a job interview.  

ETA - Just like a job interview, he should also be prepared for questions asked of him - either technical or behavioral.  

http://www.experience.com/entry-level-jobs/internships/interview-resources-for-internships/interview-tips-for-interns/

Edited by Erica H
  • Like 2

Prepare that there might be substantive questions depending on field.

Like being asked to pitch a stock in an interview in that business, etc.

Favorite class and why

He should have a couple of questions ready in case they ask "what can I tell you about xyz company/ line of business).

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

Treat it like a job interview. Dress appropriately (at minimum a step up from the sort of clothing worn for the job being applied for), be prepared to answer similar sorts of questions to a job interview, except they may actually be interested in his academic pursuits as a regular employer wouldn't.

Fortunately, we had him fitted for a "real" suit over the Christmas break with it being delivered to the store on the opposite coast. They took one look at the tailoring and completely redid it, so it looks sharp. He's not a big guy and the tailoring was essential. I sent him a list of the clothing items he needed to have - you know, like the overlooked dress socks - so he could go over it today and fill in any gaps and make sure everything was pressed.

The resume he sent was primarily focused on his academics and I think you are right in that they will probably ask about that. I doubt they will care that he is a certified sailing instructor.

He should be familiar with the company and also be prepared with questions.  It would be the same as preparing for a job interview.  

ETA - Just like a job interview, he should also be prepared for questions asked of him - either technical or behavioral.  

http://www.experience.com/entry-level-jobs/internships/interview-resources-for-internships/interview-tips-for-interns/

Thank you for the link. That's helpful.  He has followed the career of the person whose office he's be working in and is familiar with his current projects. I did mention to him to have a list of questions regarding those areas.

Edited by swimmermom3
  • Like 3

Well, one of the interviews for an internship for ds consisted of being handed a page of coding and being asked, "What will this do?" He looked at it and explained. And then they handed him a problem and said, "Go code to solve this and come back in an hour." He did and they offered him the position. He turned it down but went to his current place and said, "These folks offered me more money. What can you do?" They gave him a raise.

So, you never know.

I think one can know - at least a little. I think it can depend on the type of internship being pursued. Some interviews for internships definitely require demonstrating hard skills then and there. Ds's certainly did.

Or are you referring more to the ability to negotiate pay given mu,triple offers?

Edited by Hoggirl

His on campus career center has resources

Does his school have a career center? Usually kids can go in and have them look over their resumes/CVs to get advice on now to improve the content. Students can to make apts to run through mock interviews, etc.

http://www.sc.edu/career/. Maybe their videos might help him if if can't get services on his campus.

His resume was already submitted; that's how he received the interview request.  He went to the career center yesterday and they worked with him on the specifics for the type of internship he is interviewing for.  After he contacted the "employer" with his schedule, they let him know that the initial interview is by phone, so that is both a relief and a disappointment. We assume it's part of the weeding out process.  That is at 3pm today.  The career center gave him additional pointers on phone etiquette and things like standing up during the interview so your voice projects.

We are keeping our fingers crossed. We assume it's a big field.

Edited by swimmermom3
  • Like 3

His resume was already submitted; that's how he received the interview request.  He went to the career center yesterday and they worked with him on the specifics for the type of internship he is interviewing for.  After he contacted the "employer" with his schedule, they let him know that the initial interview is by phone, so that is both a relief and a disappointment. We assume it's part of the weeding out process.  That is at 3pm today.  The career center gave him additional pointers on phone etiquette and things like standing up during the interview so your voice projects.

We are keeping our fingers crossed. We assume it's a big field.

Good luck to him!  Keep us updated!

• Like 1

Even though his resume was already submitted (and the interviewer may have it with him/her), I would suggest bringing a couple of copies of his resume and a pad of paper in one of those "portfolio" folders that has a space for the paper pad and usually a pocket on the inside cover for the resumes. Alternatively, resumes in a plain manila folder and a separate pad of notebook paper/pen works fine too. 

It always -- always -- is good to have a "finished and prepared" look about you. If the interviewer doesn't have your resume along, ds can offer one. If he does, no problem. The pad of paper is great for making notes - if the interviewer is talking and your son thinks of something he wants to be sure to mention, he can jot down a quick note. My ds and dd (and all of us here!) have walked into every interview this way and often, not used the resumes or the paper pad. But sometimes they have. And they felt more put together and confident with something in hand, even if they put it down on a table, floor, etc.

• Like 1

Even though his resume was already submitted (and the interviewer may have it with him/her), I would suggest bringing a couple of copies of his resume and a pad of paper in one of those "portfolio" folders that has a space for the paper pad and usually a pocket on the inside cover for the resumes. Alternatively, resumes in a plain manila folder and a separate pad of notebook paper/pen works fine too. 

It always -- always -- is good to have a "finished and prepared" look about you. If the interviewer doesn't have your resume along, ds can offer one. If he does, no problem. The pad of paper is great for making notes - if the interviewer is talking and your son thinks of something he wants to be sure to mention, he can jot down a quick note. My ds and dd (and all of us here!) have walked into every interview this way and often, not used the resumes or the paper pad. But sometimes they have. And they felt more put together and confident with something in hand, even if they put it down on a table, floor, etc.

Thank you! Those are terrific ideas.

Good luck to him!  Keep us updated!

I hope the phone interview went well today and that he advances to the in-person round!

Ds had *3* levels of interviews for one of his summer internships :eek:

Thank you!  The Thursday interview was delayed, so he just finished it this afternoon.  He should know in one to two weeks. :tongue_smilie:

Some of the questions he was asked were:

Why do the internship in DC if he wants to give back to our state?

Does he understand that the work is mostly mindless clerical work and how would he manage that?

He said the one question that threw him for a minute was "What special project would he like to work on?"  He had figured that he would be doing menial work and hadn't really thought about a project.  Fortunately, over spring break ds talked with the father of a sailing friend and coincidentally, the father had put forth a bill that had to do with endangered species in our state and it passed. So ds was able to bring that bill (sort of obscure) into the conversation and talk about perhaps doing a special project on the environment. Ds is passionate about exploring our state and follows many of the environmental concerns closely.  I really hope he has the opportunity to actually work on something like that.

Part of me is thrilled, part of me is terrified, and part of me is sad because I want him to be here for the summer and I really miss him, even though he's kind of a toad.

Luckymama, I know that three levels of interviews can b standard in the work force, but that's just hard on a mom.

• Like 5

Thank you!  The Thursday interview was delayed, so he just finished it this afternoon.  He should know in one to two weeks. :tongue_smilie:

Some of the questions he was asked were:

Why do the internship in DC if he wants to give back to our state?

Does he understand that the work is mostly mindless clerical work and how would he manage that?

He said the one question that threw him for a minute was "What special project would he like to work on?"  He had figured that he would be doing menial work and hadn't really thought about a project.  Fortunately, over spring break ds talked with the father of a sailing friend and coincidentally, the father had put forth a bill that had to do with endangered species in our state and it passed. So ds was able to bring that bill (sort of obscure) into the conversation and talk about perhaps doing a special project on the environment. Ds is passionate about exploring our state and follows many of the environmental concerns closely.  I really hope he has the opportunity to actually work on something like that.

Part of me is thrilled, part of me is terrified, and part of me is sad because I want him to be here for the summer and I really miss him, even though he's kind of a toad.

Thanks for the update.  Sounds like he did well.  

I definitely understand the mixed feelings.  It's so hard on us moms when our kids are growing up and leaving us.  I have two graduating from college in May and it hurts my heart thinking of how little we'll see them once they both start their new jobs (neither will be local).  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

YAY!!!!  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 1