Menu

Taking the GRE and I am old!

DawnM

I took the GRE in the late 90's, MUCH closer to when I finished college.  Things were still fresh in my mind.  I was still in *academia* mode.

But it has been SO LONG.  I don't even think I did much more than take a practice test or two in the past.  No big deal.

But now?  OY!  I have taken a few practice type things and I am not doing nearly as well as I think I should!

I got the Kaplan book, and am about 1/4 of the way through it now.  I am considering buying a different one,   

https://www.amazon.com/GRE-Prep-Magoosh/dp/1939418917/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490084930&sr=8-1&keywords=GRE+test+prep+magoosh

After researching, it looks like this one would resonate with me more.

But I am getting worried and think that after I have studied, it would be helpful to pay for a practice test online with the test prep people grading my essay so I know what I need to do there.

The school says they put the most emphasis on the essay, so I feel like I need a little help knowing if I am on the right track there.

Any other suggestions?  And "Oh, I just walked in and didn't study and did just fine" won't be helpful.  That was me, 20 years ago or so, but it isn't me anymore, apparently.

And yes, I am studying HOW to take the test, but I still need some more knowledge.  

• Like 1

You might want to look at the book by ETS since they are the ones who write the test.  It might be the closest to the actual test.  Also, check out their website - they have all sorts of test prep links for free.  

You have my sympathy!  My daughter, a senior in college, will be taking the GRE this summer.  When I was visiting her last week we looked over the ETS review book and it made me very happy I don't have to take it! 

Good Luck!

Mary

• Like 1

I have vague ideas of getting another graduate degree in history or rhetoric, and I'd have to study the math despite having degrees in STEM fields.

The school I'm thinking of would probably waive the GRE, but it's a concern of mine if I go that way. My math was rusty when I took it 27 years ago. I was getting ready to "cut-and-run" with just an M.S. because of dissertation problems, and they realized that somehow they had admitted me without GRE scores. So they had to have the box checked, or I couldn't graduate. Silly. I did OK on the math without studying then, but the other sections were better.

Helping my teens with math later in high school required that I had to look up quite a few things.

Yup. Some of us have to study.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 1

You might want to look at the book by ETS since they are the ones who write the test.  It might be the closest to the actual test.  Also, check out their website - they have all sorts of test prep links for free.  

You have my sympathy!  My daughter, a senior in college, will be taking the GRE this summer.  When I was visiting her last week we looked over the ETS review book and it made me very happy I don't have to take it! 

Good Luck!

Mary

ETS is coming out with a bundle soon, with DVDs, full length practice tests, etc.....I am hoping it will be soon.

I have vague ideas of getting another graduate degree in history or rhetoric, and I'd have to study the math despite having degrees in STEM fields.

The school I'm thinking of would probably waive the GRE, but it's a concern of mine if I go that way. My math was rusty when I took it 27 years ago. I was getting ready to "cut-and-run" with just an M.S. because of dissertation problems, and they realized that somehow they had admitted me without GRE scores. So they had to have the box checked, or I couldn't graduate. Silly. I did OK on the math without studying then, but the other sections were better.

Helping my teens with math later in high school required that I had to look up quite a few things.

Yup. Some of us have to study.

I thought mine would be waived as well, heck, they have my previous GRE scores for the last MA I got FROM THEM!

But apparently this is some new requirement from the state, to have all students have recent GRE scores on file, to maintain their blue ribbon status for the program, or some such nonsense! 

They said the WRITING portion is what will carry the most weight.  But I assume I need some sort of decent score on the rest.

I just looked online and ETS has a "take a practice writing test and get it scored, with feedback" for $20.  That might be well worth doing.

And you know how schools have an average SAT/ACT score of their incoming students listed when you go to their website?  Well, I can't find it for the GRE at all.  I wish I could have a ballpark of what they are looking for.

It may be there and I am just missing it???

I am not sure.

And you know how schools have an average SAT/ACT score of their incoming students listed when you go to their website?  Well, I can't find it for the GRE at all.  I wish I could have a ballpark of what they are looking for.

It may be there and I am just missing it???

I am not sure.

Do you know if they just require it, but it's not a huge factor?  Or if they REALLY factor it in? 

It was required when I applied for programs, but the emphasis on it was not huge at all.  I did get into the programs I wanted even though I did no do well on that test. 

Maybe you could call someone there and ask?

• Like 1

I thought mine would be waived as well, heck, they have my previous GRE scores for the last MA I got FROM THEM!

But apparently this is some new requirement from the state, to have all students have recent GRE scores on file, to maintain their blue ribbon status for the program, or some such nonsense! 

They said the WRITING portion is what will carry the most weight.  But I assume I need some sort of decent score on the rest.

I just looked online and ETS has a "take a practice writing test and get it scored, with feedback" for $20.  That might be well worth doing.

Yes, I haven't checked lately, but when I went to an open house for the MA in Rhetoric several years ago, they said there were rumors of the same. I think I'd do OK other than the math, and naturally their math minimum was reasonable. It still is the type of thing you don't want to gamble on.

I'd still like to do that at some point, but not sure when. DH's medical issues remain overwhelming, and I'm barely holding my own with my online teaching. With my income and his pension, we're OK, but not great.

My oldest will be a junior in the business school there in the fall (fingers crossed, but he has a 4.0 and is transferring), and my daughter ironically is looking at the same program as an undergraduate but will start at the community college. I tease her that we'll get our MA in rhetoric together!

• Like 1

Do you know if they just require it, but it's not a huge factor?  Or if they REALLY factor it in? 

It was required when I applied for programs, but the emphasis on it was not huge at all.  I did get into the programs I wanted even though I did no do well on that test. 

Maybe you could call someone there and ask?

I have put a call in and left a message.  The school is on the West Coast and I am still on the East Coast, so I doubt they are even there yet.  But hopefully he can call me back.   I see he does have office hours today at 11:30 PST.

• Like 1

Yes, I haven't checked lately, but when I went to an open house for the MA in Rhetoric several years ago, they said there were rumors of the same. I think I'd do OK other than the math, and naturally their math minimum was reasonable. It still is the type of thing you don't want to gamble on.

I'd still like to do that at some point, but not sure when. DH's medical issues remain overwhelming, and I'm barely holding my own with my online teaching. With my income and his pension, we're OK, but not great.

My oldest will be a junior in the business school there in the fall (fingers crossed, but he has a 4.0 and is transferring), and my daughter ironically is looking at the same program as an undergraduate but will start at the community college. I tease her that we'll get our MA in rhetoric together!

I get it.  I thought I would never be able to finish.

1. We moved and the job market for this field here is pretty much 0%.  In fact, many were laid off a few years ago.

2.  There is no local program.

3.  I am already half way through this program at the school I am applying to and they do things differently here, so I would need to not only start over, but drive 2.5 hours each way for classes.

but my biggest reason:

4. My son (Asperger's) needed me home.  He is the reason I took 10 years off of work to homeschool.

BUT:

1. We are moving back!  (long story)

2. My Aspie is doing very well now and far more independent.

3.  The job market for this line of work is far better where we are moving TO.

4. The higher rate of pay in this job will help with retirement amounts too.

OH, and we will have THREE of us in college at the same time starting in 2018.

Edited by DawnM

Yes, I'd love to do the MA.

About 2/3 of my online work involves writing and teaching writing, so my opportunities would definitely improve. Sometimes I have trouble explaining my work in that field because my degrees are in math and computer science. I teach college-level basic web design and multimedia online, but I'd like to phase out the multimedia at some point because the pace of that field is maddening. It seems to change monthly. 

We'll see. Not anytime soon.

• Like 1

Dawn I believe that anyone in your shoes will need to do A LOT of studying, to refresh things you studied a long time ago.  Even taking an exam a couple of months after one finishes a subject is much harder than at the moment the course finishes.

OT: I read about a woman who is an Automotive Engineer. After home schooling her children, after 24 years of not working, she was in a "Return to Work" program. She said "it was like being dropped onto another planet"

• Like 1

The Magoosh free vocab app is excellent. I have heard good things about their full course but I'm hoping that my verbal score will be good enough and I won't need to retake.

The AW portion I got a respectable-but-not-stellar score (4.5). For speech & language pathology I've heard that anything 4+ is fine. I didn't do any specific prep for that.

I used the Manhattan Prep 5 lb. practice problems book plus the free Magoosh vocab app.

• Like 1