Menu

I just shoveled the front...

SparklyUnicorn

I did part of the back, but most of it..nope just not doable.  DH might be working from home the rest of the week.  Thankfully he can do that.  And I have no plans so that's good.

I couldn't get the back door open  there was so much snow piled against the door.  I had to squeeze myself out there.  Snow is past my knees.

so not a fan...so so not

I'd say that does count as going to the gym though. 

Wrong pronoun. It's better when the mom says, "They or he or she just shoveled the walkway/driveway."  

Mom can do a different, more fun work-out when she wants to.  :laugh:

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

Wrong pronoun. It's better when the mom says, "They or he or she just shoveled the walkway/driveway."  

Only person who has a shot besides me is the teen and he isn't particularly good at it.  He isn't much bigger than I am though.  DH's back is killing him. 

This is an unusually large amount of snow for us though.  So not like I'm dealing with this too often.

Only person who has a shot besides me is the teen and he isn't particularly good at it.  He isn't much bigger than I am though.  

Call it a "learning experience" or "learning opportunity" or something along those lines. You could file it under PE or home ec.

I would've had my kids shoveling snow if I'd bothered to try to remember where their shovels are (basement? shed? - did not want to walk through house to basement what we me being completely covered in snow (I did the shoveling right after we'd been to the playground where we'd rolled around in piles of snow and had a snowball fight)), because the snow shovel I use is kind of big for me, so my 3'10.5" and 4'2" kids are not going to be able to handle that. 

• Like 1

Call it a "learning experience" or "learning opportunity" or something along those lines. You could file it under PE or home ec.

I would've had my kids shoveling snow if I'd bothered to try to remember where their shovels are (basement? shed? - did not want to walk through house to basement what we me being completely covered in snow (I did the shoveling right after we'd been to the playground where we'd rolled around in piles of snow and had a snowball fight)), because the snow shovel I use is kind of big for me, so my 3'10.5" and 4'2" kids are not going to be able to handle that. 

I had a hell of a time doing it myself.  Throwing the snow a couple of feet above one's head with no real place to put it is difficult.

• Like 1

I injured my shoulder digging out the cars this morning. I'm so mad because not only can I barely move my arm, I'll have to miss my workout classes this week. AND it hurts too much to get out skiing today, even though the snow is perfect! Grrr.

• Like 1

I injured my shoulder digging out the cars this morning. I'm so mad because not only can I barely move my arm, I'll have to miss my workout classes this week. AND it hurts too much to get out skiing today, even though the snow is perfect! Grrr.

that stinks!

I'm trying to be extremely cautious because I can't even take ibuprofen if I get hurt.

• Like 1

I had a hell of a time doing it myself.  Throwing the snow a couple of feet above one's head with no real place to put it is difficult.

How much did y'all get?

I still think it would've been a good exercise for the teen to do at least a little of it, but I do know my kids often create more work than they reduce (but they're younger, and they haven't shoveled anything this year because other than a little snow in December, we haven't had much).

3 ish feet here, over the little kids heads.

I could barely get the door open & I already shoveled the first foot in front of it before bed last night.

I only shoveled the front porch & walk.

Dh can snowbloww when he gets home from work tonight. We're not going anywhere.

It is perfect snow for wintery stuff though.  That I'll say. 

I tried to make snowballs yesterday, but the snow wouldn't really stick together. I did find enough clumps that were compressed by the plows when they made the piles of snow, so I just threw those. 

If it'd stop snowing I'd take the kids snowshoeing - I was thinking earlier this winter that they should be old enough (not of us have ever snowshoed, but you can rent them at a couple of nature reserves in the area), but then we just didn't have snow. 

• Like 1

How much did y'all get?

I still think it would've been a good exercise for the teen to do at least a little of it, but I do know my kids often create more work than they reduce (but they're younger, and they haven't shoveled anything this year because other than a little snow in December, we haven't had much).

2 feet

yeah I dunno...I have some sympathy...my dad would order me to do it many times and several time I injured myself badly so I don't push it to that point

probably I'm ridiculous in the other direction, but there is a reason

How much did y'all get?

Well and that is just it.  They won't do a good job so not much point. 

We have about 2 fluffy feet. My neighbor plows us, but so far he's only done the half of the drive closest to the street. I'm ready to spring into action and move my car as soon as I see his truck! I shoveled by the house for about an hour this morning and I forgot to put on my Fitbit! All those steps, uncounted. 

• Like 2

I am not too happy with the town right now. I have a four foot wide by three high bank of snow the plow threw across the driveway. He could easily have put that elsewhere. Guess dh needs to bring donuts and coffee down to the shop again.

I like when it's just a few inches of powder and I get out there fast and can sweep it up.

Yesterday was pure slush from the moment it fell. It was only a few inches and didn't take long, but it was still a pain.

When we get more than a foot, that's exercise. Dh is incapable of doing it.  :glare: He's missing some gene that tells you how to shovel properly. And I'm the one that grew up in the south and he's the one that grew up in New England!

I am glad for all of you in the Middle Atlantic states, and in the Northeast, that the Winter storm was not as bad as they had predicted.  And Sparkly should take it easy, after shoveling snow this morning. She (and others who've done that) deserve to rest now.  Here in the tropics, we are having Cold/Drizzly weather. Occasional thunderstorms with heavy rain, but mostly drizzle. I think it is 73 F. now and might get up to 82. Our low was 67 F.  12 hours and 5 minutes of sunlight today according to the Weather Underground App I just installed on my Android phone.  We are eating more, because it is very cold for us...  I feed the dogs and I think they are eating more too.  I remember what really cold weather is like, so what we consider cold here is really very nice weather.

• Like 1

Well and that is just it.  They won't do a good job so not much point. 

Okay, so I found the kids' shovels in the basement, and we went out and shoveled, and I'm proud to report that this is the first year in which they were more of an asset than a liability. Though, I don't think Broccoli was very useful, but I didn't pay close attention. He was the first to quit, and then Celery continued where Broccoli had been working, so I'm not 100% sure. Celery did a pretty decent job, although he only made the path a little over a foot wide, and he quit relatively quickly, but still quite a while after Broccoli quit. And at least he listened to me when I told him that he needed to throw the snow far enough that he wasn't throwing it on the rest of the sidewalk, so that was great (he's not always great about understanding/following directions like that). So, I'm proud of him. 

• Like 2

Okay, so I found the kids' shovels in the basement, and we went out and shoveled, and I'm proud to report that this is the first year in which they were more of an asset than a liability. Though, I don't think Broccoli was very useful, but I didn't pay close attention. He was the first to quit, and then Celery continued where Broccoli had been working, so I'm not 100% sure. Celery did a pretty decent job, although he only made the path a little over a foot wide, and he quit relatively quickly, but still quite a while after Broccoli quit. And at least he listened to me when I told him that he needed to throw the snow far enough that he wasn't throwing it on the rest of the sidewalk, so that was great (he's not always great about understanding/following directions like that). So, I'm proud of him. 

That's great!

• Like 1

I am not too happy with the town right now. I have a four foot wide by three high bank of snow the plow threw across the driveway. He could easily have put that elsewhere. Guess dh needs to bring donuts and coffee down to the shop again.

Yeah the plow causes us more grief than it is worth.  :cursing:

• Like 1

Yup. That's our reality every winter. And the way our street bends and the plow drives, our driveway ends up being 6 - 10 feet longer after a couple snow dumps.

We returned home to that massive "gift" from the plow. All the dc and I attacked it with shovels and overcame! I'm busting out the Baileys now.  :p