Menu

GRE test prep when

DawnM

I haven't had Algebra for over 20 years!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGH!

The GRE was NOT a requirement last time I was looking at going back for another MA.  Now it has been added, along with a few other new requirements.

I called today.  I asked if I really needed to take it since I have already gotten advanced degrees from this school,, but they said yes, it is now a state requirement or some such nonsense.

They do say that they are mostly looking at my writing portion, but I can't just bomb the math section can I?

I guess I better get a test prep book.

Am I too old for this?

Thanks for making me feel bad.

I took a few practice algebra type questions and got them wrong.

I took it 20 years ago and did fine, but I haven't touched anything related to algebra since.

Edited by DawnM

The GRE changed in 2011 so any library test prep books published after 2011 should be safe to use.

GRE practice book 2nd edition PDF from ETS https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/practice_book_GRE_pb_revised_general_test.pdf

GRE mathematics test practice book https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/practice_book_math.pdf (ETA: this one is for math majors)

Edited by Arcadia

The GRE changed in 2011 so any library test prep books published after 2011 should be safe to use.

GRE practice book 2nd edition PDF from ETS https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/practice_book_GRE_pb_revised_general_test.pdf

GRE mathematics test practice book https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/practice_book_math.pdf

Yes, I know how to get the test prep books, I am just worried about having to relearn an entire 2 years of math.

I have done the practice tests on the ETS website, that is what has me concerned.

Would it be worth it to attend a GRE cram course at a tutoring center? I have look through the math practice test PDF and I would have to revise my calculus too for what is covered since calculus is 50% of the test. My husband took the old GRE which was easy but scores are only valid for a few years so he would need to retake anyway if he wants to take another postgrad.

… since calculus is 50% of the test.…

Where are you seeing this?

Here is a quote from the Introduction to the Quantitative Reasoning Measure:

The content in these areas includes high school mathematics and statistics at a level that is generally no higher than a second course in algebra; it does not include trigonometry, calculus or other higher-level mathematics. The Math Review (PDF)provides detailed information about the content of the Quantitative Reasoning measure.

Thanks for making me feel bad.

I took a few practice algebra type questions and got them wrong.

I took it 20 years ago and did fine, but I haven't touched anything related to algebra since.

Sorry.  If it helps, I took it in 1998, so maybe back then it didn't have much algebra on it.  And I haven't done any algebra since then, either.  Though I hadn't done much algebra in college, either, as an English major.  But high school wasn't as far away....

I took the GRE cold as a grown up. Aced the verbal, bombed the math. It didn't help that it's an adaptive test, so you can't just skip around to the problems you know. That said, I think just a bit of a math refresher would have made a huge difference. You can do this!

• Like 2

I took the GRE last year. It was hard, the math is challenging. I would recommend an ONLINE class from Kaplan (or anywhere) for review. the book I bought came with some free online classes and they were extremely helpful. If I'd had more time I would have taken the classes.  Good luck!

• Like 1

They do say that they are mostly looking at my writing portion, but I can't just bomb the math section can I?

Am I too old for this?

Not too old. You could ask the department what kind of minimum score they'd expect - if it's just a state requirement, and it's not a hard-to-get-into program, and it has nothing to do with math, then maybe they really don't care about your scores. 

Khan Academy doesn't have GRE prep, but they do have SAT prep, and videos and exercises from K-12+, so that could be a free backup to whatever prep book you get, if there are any subjects you need more practice with. 

I haven't had Algebra for over 20 years!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGH!

The GRE was NOT a requirement last time I was looking at going back for another MA.  Now it has been added, along with a few other new requirements.

I called today.  I asked if I really needed to take it since I have already gotten advanced degrees from this school,, but they said yes, it is now a state requirement or some such nonsense.

Am I too old for this?

You will likely be fine. You can always look at an Algebra book and just go so far to bring the basics back and you may be surprised what you remember.

Also, there are quite a few universities that will not require the GRE if your GPA is above 3.0. Maybe worth looking at unless you are set on this particular university.

You will likely be fine. You can always look at an Algebra book and just go so far to bring the basics back and you may be surprised what you remember.

Also, there are quite a few universities that will not require the GRE if your GPA is above 3.0. Maybe worth looking at unless you are set on this particular university.

I have already asked. They said it is required for all School Psych programs (I think they said nationally but I need to look back at the email).

I have a 3.9 overall from this exact Univ. from two different MAs.  I thought that would make me except but I guess not.

They say they don't have a minimum but do expect you to do well on the written portion, which I think I can do.

But I am just not sure what completely bombing the math section would do.

Sorry.  If it helps, I took it in 1998, so maybe back then it didn't have much algebra on it.  And I haven't done any algebra since then, either.  Though I hadn't done much algebra in college, either, as an English major.  But high school wasn't as far away....

I think I took the GRE in 1992 last.  

I think it had writing, verbal, and logical reasoning.  I don't think it used to have Algebra on it.  I was surprised when I did the sample 10 questions that 3 or 4 of them were Algebra related.

I wish they would take my old scores, but it says I have to take it within 12 months of applying.  

This school has also become far more competitive than it used to be.

I am just hoping that my previous grad school experience at this same school will hold me in good standing enough to squeak me in.

Dawn

Magoosh plus the Manhattan Prep 5 lb. practice problems book.

Don't sweat the algebra too much. If you are solid on pre-algebra you can still get a respectable (but not great) score. I too it in late 2015 after only having taught up through Singapore 8 and no specific test prep on the math (focused on the verbal) and got a 154. That was something like 56th percentile. Way lower than my old expired score from the '90's but I think it should be good enough for a non-STEM field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk