Menu

LiDL stores?

G5052

I realize that they are currently primarily overseas, but they are building one 30 minutes away in an area we frequently go through. They are also in negotiations for a site in our town.

They are a competitor to Aldi and are just now expanding into the U.S.

• Like 1

One is being built about a five minute drive from me. I'm interested in opinions. I'm not a fan of Aldi or TJ's but I'm wondering how Lidl compares. From what I can tell it looks like the store is going to be considerably bigger than most Aldi/TJs, but sometimes I have trouble judging empty buildings and could be wrong.

• Like 2

Lidl is supposedly top brands for lower prices.  Something like that.

Yes, they're supposed to have some wonderful store brands and a lot of organic items.

I looked up the address of the land they were in negotiations for in my town, and it does indeed have a contingent offer on it. A public hearing was held in January with the planning commission and LiDL, and comments were taken.

They're moving ahead on two others that would be not as close but still doable. Definitely closer than Aldi, which is 40 minutes away.

• Like 1

Now I'm excited!  They're putting one in where we live, too, opening this summer.  There's one across the street from the hotel DH stays in when he goes to Munich, pretty often.  He likes them.  

We love Aldi, too, but can't get everything we need there, and I get tired of the need to run to many stores, so sometimes we end up at Wegman's.  Hoping this will fill some of those gaps.

• Like 2

I want to love Aldi, because our grocery bill from there is usually about $50 less per weekly visit, and we are in a tight fix financially. Even adding in the things we have to get from another store, it saves us money. I really like their store brand of packaged goods, and quite a few of their other things. But I have trouble with several things, especially lately. The past two jugs of milk I bought went bad, considerably earlier than the expire date. Sometimes the meat doesn't look real fresh (it has never made us sick, though). They haven't had spinach lately, which we eat quite a lot, and I'm not always pleased with the produce. Our local one is not always the cleanest. I decided I would go back to shopping at Walmart, which I did yesterday. But I have to be so much more frugal (no, I don't have to have that), while at Aldi, I am more able to buy some extra treats and still end up quite a bit less. I do not want to have to go to two (or more) stores regularly, but maybe I will have to. It's just so much cheaper. I'll have to look to see if Lidl is coming nearby.

ETA: Nope, it's not. There is a Trader Joe's in town, but it's way on the other side, and not convenient at all; whereas, I have a Walmart Neighborhood Store, Aldi, and Publix within five minutes.

Edited by Jaybee

My old Lidl (which we pronounced Leedel) was a pretty depressing bare bones place geared for down-and-out shoppers. Basically, stuff in cut open cartons and a sorry little produce section and avoid the meat at all costs kinda place.  Quite inexpensive, however, compared to regular supermarkets.  But I popped into one in Greece last year and it was much nicer, more like a real (small) supermarket, so it looks as if it has changed for the better.

I use Lidl (UK) every week. Good fresh fruit and veg and meat and most of their own basic ingredient stuff, dairy and bakery is good. A lot of things are clearly copycats of big brands so taste pretty similar. I don't like many of their own brand prepackaged products like cakes or sauces but I think that might be more individual taste than them being bad. They do have big brands on offer regularly too.

Edited by lailasmum