Menu

If I'm a ft student at U can I attend the CC over the summer?

BlsdMama

There's the question. :)

DD is a full time student at the University.  She has been a student there since the beginning.  She will have four classes left to graduate, *but* she is moving with her (soon) DH to where he is going to school in the fall.  Three of the four can be taken online.  The fourth (Stats 2) is a class she is really scared of - she'd like to take it at the CC this summer (far less driving and less intimidating) and  transfer it back to the U, then get her final three classes done via online.  

Would she ask admissions?  Her advisor?

Our CC has agreements with the state universities and several private universities for transfer of classes.

My niece's last class was one she could take at cc. So she came home took the class, had the transcript sent and then recieved her degree. My DD is going to take a math class at the cc over the summer and transfer the credit to her university.

I'd check the registrar's office too. My son's university had a complete list on the registrar's website of every class that would transfer in from all of the public and private schools in the state, including the number of credits awarded and the equivalent course at the university.

But even if it is shown on the website, I would double check with her advisor and the registrar's office just to be sure. Some schools have a requirement about how many credits can be from outside the university and when they can be earned.

• Like 2

Many of my students at the university take CC classes over the summer at home, or even during the semester for certain classes that are perceived as easier at the CC.

You need to check the articulation agreement that the credit will actually transfer, and that it will transfer as the exact credit she needs. That information should be on the university's website. The advisor will probably not know whether a particular course from a particular CC would transfer, unless it is a course frequently taken by uni students at this CC.

Edited by regentrude

She needs to check with her advisor. Ds had one of his proposed summer courses not accepted. The advisor knew the person teaching the course and knew the course was not an equivalent...just too shallow.

Ask, but in my experience the last 60 hours must be done at the university. You can only do CC transfers earlier.

This is true for my DD's school also. They specify that CC is intended for the first two years of undergrad, therefore once a student has completed 60 credit hours, no more credits may be transferred in from a CC.

This is true for my DD's school also. They specify that CC is intended for the first two years of undergrad, therefore once a student has completed 60 credit hours, no more credits may be transferred in from a CC.

This was our experience, too.

Before registering for the local cc and later the local uni for summer classes, both of them required her to provide an approval form signed by her current uni showing they would grant credit for the specific class. It was an extra step but much better than finding out after the fact that a course wouldn't be accepted.

She needs to check with her advisor.  Some schools have different rules for transferring courses taken before you are an enrolled student and after you are an enrolled student.  Rules can also exist that limit the total number of classes that can be transferred.  Other rules may limit transfer classes during the last year of classes.  Where I teach now, enrolled students must complete a form to request taking a class at another school BEFORE they take the course.   

At the neighboring 4-years, they have a list of community college classes that transfer in for an existing student. From what I've seen, it's only very basic core requirements. Both won't allow transfer in of a class in the major or a critical class like math for an engineering major.

My DD took 2 CC classes this summer and graduated in Dec; she needed six classes to graduate and could only take 4 during the regular semester. The classes had to be pre-approved and signatures were required from multiple offices but she did it. It saved her a semester and about $12,000 in tuition.

I suggest you do as previous posters have suggested and have your DD go ask questions. There probably won't be financial aid available - there wasn't for DD - so plan on paying everything out of pocket.

The 60 hour rule varies. Most schools no more than 60 hours can transfer*. However that doesn't always mean the last 60 has to be at the degree conferring institution. If the requirement is not in the degree major and is typically considered a first or second year course, many institutions will all transfer even the cc course is taken late in the process. In my niece's case, she needed an art credit to fulfill a requirement out of her major. She got the school's approval and took the cc course the summer after she finished all her other requirements.

If your student was a transfer originally, this may not be an option because he/she needs 60 credits in residence at the school. My ds ran into this. So his last class will an online class from his school.

*(I do know one school that will allow 75 transfer credits)

• Like 1