Menu

do you guys wash and clean ground meat as well?

Princess5

But you don't mean WASH, do you? As in using SOAP? You mean rinsing, right? I have never washed ground meat.

I used to rinse chicken. Did I stop? I don't know. My dh does the cooking now most of the time.

The fat and other yucky stuff on the chicken is what I used to peel or cut off. I would generally do it while running water over it.

And now the word is to not do it at all? Fine. I know it is extra slimy when I don't rinse it off though.

I will always rinse fruits and vegetables unless I pick them right out of my own garden.

From the stores, yes, there is a specific cleanser to use and I would always recommend that for anyone who has autoimmune diseases or other health issues.

Re: rare burgers

I was reading something just a few days ago that I thought was pretty clever. The man's father wasn't supposed to have ground beef rare, but really liked rare burgers, so his son (a chef, as I recall) would buy whole steak, quickly blanch it in boiling water, and then grind it. The outside of the meat gets all the germs killed, but the inside is still raw so when it's ground up it's mostly raw. And since he's grinding it and then cooking it right away, after having killed the germs on the surface, it's probably just as safe as having rare steak (which his father was allowed).

• Like 3

But you don't mean WASH, do you? As in using SOAP? You mean rinsing, right? I have never washed ground meat.

I used to rinse chicken. Did I stop? I don't know. My dh does the cooking now most of the time.

The fat and other yucky stuff on the chicken is what I used to peel or cut off. I would generally do it while running water over it.

And now the word is to not do it at all? Fine. I know it is extra slimy when I don't rinse it off though.

I will always rinse fruits and vegetables unless I pick them right out of my own garden.

From the stores, yes, there is a specific cleanser to use and I would always recommend that for anyone who has autoimmune diseases or other health issues.

I used to rinse chicken too.  Now I just kind of blot it with a paper towel on both sides, and that gets off the extra slime.

• Like 1

If my hamburger has to be well done, I'm not even gonna bother.

I'm a pretty unrepentant rare beef eater. I don't eat beef very often (maybe 2x a month at most, often less) but when I do, there had better be some pink unless it's like a stirfry or something. If processed correctly, beef may be eaten raw. I don't like it totally raw but it's common in Ethiopian restaurants (kitfo) and found in some American dishes.

I don't buy dodgy beef for this reason.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1