Menu

World Hijab Day 2017 is February 1st

bibiche

I'm pretty sure I've been mistaken for a Muslim at the airport. It's an eye-opening experience. 

I am a little surprised that Muslims don't mind people wearing the hijab for non-religious reasons. I'd feel odd about a person who wasn't a Christian wearing a Christian prayer covering. Not criticizing, just thinking (writing) aloud.

• Like 1

I wear a scarf as a Christian that most people would think is Muslim. Really it's just a loose thin scarf. I actually admire the Muslim culture of modesty. It's a shame to me that the Christianity is associated with immodesty. What the west sees as devaluing woman the muslim world sees as valuing woman. I agree with the Muslims on this issue.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure I've been mistaken for a Muslim at the airport. It's an eye-opening experience. 

I am a little surprised that Muslims don't mind people wearing the hijab for non-religious reasons. I'd feel odd about a person who wasn't a Christian wearing a Christian prayer covering. Not criticizing, just thinking (writing) aloud.

This is my thought or question, too....with all of the current "ethnic/cultural appropriations" flak these days, would this be viewed as a measure of showing support, for a non-Muslim to don hijab on this day, or would it be seen as pretending or disrespectful in some way? 

Any Muslims on the board who don't mind answering, here or PM, I'd truly be interested in your response. This is something I would do, if I could do so in a respectful manner, and not by so doing sow disrespect instead...but I'd fear that it would be viewed similarly to wearing blackface, or otherwise appropriating a culture not my own.....no?

• Like 5

I'll be thinking of the women who wear and fear harassment, because nobody should be harassed for it.  I'll be thinking of the women who live someplace where they aren't allowed to wear them, because I support freedom.  But even more, I'll be thinking of the women living in countries where they can be arrested for leaving their homes without wearing one, because religion.  Two sides of the coin.  I can't support one side of the freedom without supporting the other.  And I'm thankful to live in a nation with the freedom to choose to wear a religious symbol or not.

Edited by laundrycrisis
  • Like 8

This is my thought or question, too....with all of the current "ethnic/cultural appropriations" flak these days, would this be viewed as a measure of showing support, for a non-Muslim to don hijab on this day, or would it be seen as pretending or disrespectful in some way? 

Any Muslims on the board who don't mind answering, here or PM, I'd truly be interested in your response. This is something I would do, if I could do so in a respectful manner, and not by so doing sow disrespect instead...but I'd fear that it would be viewed similarly to wearing blackface, or otherwise appropriating a culture not my own.....no?

Yes, would Catholics be amused by world rosary bead day?  Where everyone just donned a rosary bead?

I find the idea rather strange. 

• Like 3

But even more, I'll be thinking of the women living in countries where they can be arrested for leaving their homes without wearing one, because religion.  Two sides of the coin.  I can't support one side the freedom without supporting the other.  And I'm thankful to live in a nation with the freedom to choose to wear a religious symbol or not.

this is where I'm at

I believe some women truly have the freedom to choose this.  I don't believe they all do.  And until then I really can't get on board with the idea overall.

But I dislike the concept.  Just the same as I dislike the concept of lots of religious things.  I don't understand the idea that women are somehow so different from men that they must cover up. 

• Like 6

I think it would depend on who initiated this solidarity day.

If it is Muslims (in particular, Muslim women) who have selected this as an appropreate expression of solidarity -- then I would perceive that as an invitation to share in the custom, not an appropriation.

Of course, since people are individuals, I imagine various Muslims would have various perspectives -- but I think, personally, I'd most likely participate if I thought there was a reputable source organization for the overall initiative (even if some individuals object) -- unless the objections really swayed my thinking.

That said: does anyone know the source organization?

• Like 2

If it is Muslims (in particular, Muslim women) who have selected this as an appropreate expression of solidarity -- then I would perceive that as an invitation to share in the custom, not an appropriation.

Of course, since people are individuals, I imagine various Muslims would have various perspectives -- but I think, personally, I'd most likely participate if I thought there was a reputable source organization for the overall initiative (even if some individuals object) -- unless the objections really swayed my thinking.

wikipedia has a bit about it, but it's hard to tell what's true or not in the article.

Supposedly by someone named Nazma Khan.

• Like 1

I think one could cover one's hair in a generic sort of way in solidarity, without wearing/appropriating a specifically "hijab" look.  There are many ways to tie a scarf, as is evidenced by the many women (and men!) who cover their hair for various reasons.  

(When lice was going around our homeschooling community, the women who didn't normally cover got quite creative with various styles!.)

• Like 1

I don't think stirring up the 'immodest secular world' against the covered is quite what bibiche had in mind for this thread.

I really didn't intend to stir up trouble. I was more trying to say that I feel a solidarity with Muslims on this issue even though I'm not Muslim.

• Like 1

Yes, would Catholics be amused by world rosary bead day?  Where everyone just donned a rosary bead?

I find the idea rather strange.

I have no idea whether there are any official rules/teachings about this, but personally, as a Catholic, I wouldn't mind in the least if non-Catholics carried a rosary as long as it is done respectfully. The more the merrier.

• Like 4

Dear all,

As a muslima and hijab wearing woman I like there is a hijab day. Just to let me feel that there are people who are against racism.

When I saw American woman (non muslims) wore the hijab with an American flag. I cried because I forgot there are people out there who are willing to defend for my rights. Even though we don't share the same religion.

We should learn to respect each other. It is a shame that people in this world must suffer because what they wear or believe in.

When you live in a daily struggle because you were a hijab you forget sometimes :) that not all persons are racist .

I don't feel that all Christians should wear a scarf that day. But it gives me hope that someday people are going to learn to respect each other religion, skin color, culture etc.

Instead of hijab day. I would like an anti racism day were all people would go crazy have fun and were each other cultural clothes :-)or symbols.

• Like 10

Dear all,

As a muslima and hijab wearing woman I like there is a hijab day. Just to let me feel that there are people who are against racism.

When I saw American woman (non muslims) wore the hijab with an American flag. I cried because I forgot there are people out there who are willing to defend for my rights. Even though we don't share the same religion.

We should learn to respect each other. It is a shame that people in this world must suffer because what they wear or believe in.

When you live in a daily struggle because you were a hijab you forget sometimes :) that not all persons are racist .

I don't feel that all Christians should wear a scarf that day. But it gives me hope that someday people are going to learn to respect each other religion, skin color, culture etc.

Instead of hijab day. I would like an anti racism day were all people would go crazy have fun and were each other cultural clothes :-)or symbols.

• Like 3

I have no idea whether there are any official rules/teachings about this, but personally, as a Catholic, I wouldn't mind in the least if non-Catholics carried a rosary as long as it is done respectfully. The more the merrier.

This. The rosary is kind of a "the more the merrier" gig :) 

Now, if by "donned" the original replier meant "wear" (rosary beads), as in around their neck or something similar, I would have a different reaction.

• Like 2

I STRONGLY dislike it when ppl participate in this to "see what it's like."

Yo! Open up your mouth box and ask what it's like.

If, otoh, you have a real friend who you'd like to support and who would appreciate the gesture, by all means.

There is a link in the original post, but here you are: http://worldhijabday.com/about-us/

There is also a video on the website featuring Nazma Khan where she explains what motivated her to establish World Hijab Day.

(But if you decide to participate, be prepared to be asked if you have a green card: http://www.clatl.com/news/article/20850427/antimuslim-encounter-in-east-atlanta-goes-viral)

Edited by bibiche