Menu

Breast Pump Models

maize

My insurance will cover the following models:

Medela Pump In Style Advanced (57081)

Ameda Purely Yours Ultra (17085MT)

Spectra S2 Hospital Strength (SP06-L1)

Which would be best? Based on the model names I'm inclined to go with the one that says hospital strength, but any experienced reviews would be helpful.

Wow! You must have some awesome insurance to have a breast pump covered. 15 years ago, I had the Medela Pump In Style, and it was really great. At the time, it was the one all my friends had purchased, as well. I have never heard of the other models.

I think breast pump coverage is an ACA thing.

• Like 2

Having just used the Ameda and Medela side by side? Medela won hands down. My old Ameda was noisier, less powerful, and tweaked me more (causing pain). The Medela isn't a hospital grade pump but it more than does the job. I can get 6-8 oz from each breast in about 15 minutes with pumping and massage, and that ain't bad.

Having just used the Ameda and Medela side by side? Medela won hands down. My old Ameda was noisier, less powerful, and tweaked me more (causing pain). The Medela isn't a hospital grade pump but it more than does the job. I can get 6-8 oz from each breast in about 15 minutes with pumping and massage, and that ain't bad.

Thank you, this is very good to know.

I've never done very much pumping but it is good to have the option if I need it.

I have to echo what others told me too - get a hands free pumping bra to go with it. It makes a HUGE difference on the convenience of pumping and leaves my hands free to help express milk, which pretty much doubles my output.

I use this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/Simple-Wishes-Hands-Free-Breastpump-X-Small-Large/dp/B002968T5G/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1485292709&sr=8-3&keywords=pumping%2Bbra&th=1

Medela PIS, hands down, was the better one for me.  I used it for my NICU baby, and it was very similar to the hospital grade one that I used when in the NICU itself.  The Ameda is a bit clunkier when I saw it.  

We got a car adapter and a battery pack for my PIS.  It was really awesome for pumping on the go.

Make sure you get sized for the right size of flanges. Mine came with both, and there was a noticeable pinchiness when I used the too small ones.

• Like 1

My insurance covers the same ones, and I spent a ton of time researching them. I went with the Spectra, although to be honest I've forgotten all the reasons why, lol. And it just came in the mail yesterday, and baby isn't born yet, so can't give a real life review. But that's my suggestion. 

Everyone I know who had one loved them, and many people liked them better than the Medela in direct comparison...more comfortable and more effective. And it is a closed system like the Ameda. 

Oh, and I ordered via yummmummy.com and they were SO easy to work with. I put in my insurance info and the sent me the pump, no charge, and I never had to speak to a live person (which this introvert loved). 

• Like 1

i never had luck with the medela pumps. It nice that everywhere sell its parts but pumping supply was aweful. The ameda was my go to. Good strong pump but I think they changed how the collection kit is manufactured I ran into bad suction issues ended up getting a freemie collection kit and was able to maintain supply. If we have another baby I want to try the spectra

• Like 1

I've used a Medela Pump in Style Advanced with 3 babies and it's always worked well for me.  It's what I plan to use when my next LO is born in April as well since I still have it even though it is 10 years old!  I called my insurance and they said they would only cover pumps for people under 21????  Made no sense to me so I think I need to call and talk to another person.   

I will say that I have heard wonderful things about the Spectra S2 though so if my insurance paid for a new one, I would be tempted to try it out!  

• Like 1