Menu

Related to the Brontes?

Laura Corin

It turns out that someone has done a lot of research into the Corins (Corin is not my surname, but that of some ancestors).  It looks as if my Great Great Great Grandmother was the Great Aunt of the Bronte sisters - she was the sister of Thomas Branwell who was the father of Maria Bronte.

There are tons of Corins (it's a very Cornish name with it's own origin story - Aeneas and everything, with Cornwall named for 'Corin's Wall') so there are also scads of people who have a similar relationship to the Brontes.  Fun though and nice for my 92yo mother who wrote a lot in her youth but is coping with failing memory these days.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 27

What an awesome connection!

I'm doing family history work and I find it utterly fascinating. I want to see how far my maternal grandmother's line goes back in southern Maryland because I have already determined that those English-origin ancestors were there for a long time (I have gotten back to the 1740's). There are graves in the St. Mary's cemetary at Point Lookout that include that surname - Robinson - and I'm curious if that is the same ancestral line and would continue back to original English settlers from the 1600's.

I have already traced part of my father's ancestry back to imigration from Ireland in the 1840's; most probably they immigrated due to the potato blight. I find it all very fascinating. :)

• Like 2

That is so cool!

I remember finding out maybe 10 years ago, that some relative was involved with the founding of Harvard.  I was like, "Man, you guys (my Dad and his elder brother) should have told me this back when I was applying for college. I totally would have gone for the alumni link. LOL"  

• Like 1