Menu

If you've had an endometrial biopsy...

jkl

Sorry for the TMI, but...I had an endometrial biopsy on Wednesday.  My dr. said I would have "a little bit of spotting".  I had some bleeding on Wed and Thur and on Friday afternoon it was heavier and today heavier still (with clots).  This is not spotting!!  My dr. is closed Fri afternoons and of course all weekend, so I can't call.  I don't have any pain.  During the procedure, the dr. said there was "a little bleed" and warned me that when I sat up, there would be some blood under me and there was.  Maybe he nicked something???  If so, shouldn't he have warned me about more bleeding?  Does anyone know if this is normal?

I've had two done, and with the most recent I had that kind of bleeding. It turned out to be my period though. I spotted about two days then bam! Onslaught of what turned out to be (unexpected) period.

All that to say that I agree with pp, if this isn't your regular period, then yes, please call in.

I called and talked to the NP on call.  She said it happens sometimes and if I start to feel dizzy or the bleeding becomes really heavy, I should go to the ER.  Otherwise, I should call in on Monday and they'd see me.  This is stressful. :(   Hopefully it will be better in the morning!   I think I had a may have had a strange reaction all around to this procedure because I felt fine right after it was done, but about 20 minutes later got horrible cramping and almost passed out.  Weird!

• Like 1

I called and talked to the NP on call. She said it happens sometimes and if I start to feel dizzy or the bleeding becomes really heavy, I should go to the ER. Otherwise, I should call in on Monday and they'd see me. This is stressful. :( Hopefully it will be better in the morning! I think I had a may have had a strange reaction all around to this procedure because I felt fine right after it was done, but about 20 minutes later got horrible cramping and almost passed out. Weird!

They should also have given you a benchmark for rate of bleeding. Like "call if you saturate a large pad in less than an hour" or similar. I found a guideline like that to be very helpful when dealing with heavy flow problems in the past. I had a biopsy in conjunction with a D&C and it was not followed by bleeding as you describe.

I had similar bleeding after mine to what you described.  I do also suspect my period started a couple of days after the procedure.  But, I tend to have heavy cycles anyway so I wasn't expecting the "light spotting" they described.   :)

I would think this is my period that just happened to start rt after the procedure, but I know I ovulated late this month.  In fact, when she was doing the ultrasound before the biopsy, the ultrasound tech said something like Oh look, you're ovulating today!

They should also have given you a benchmark for rate of bleeding. Like "call if you saturate a large pad in less than an hour" or similar. I found a guideline like that to be very helpful when dealing with heavy flow problems in the past. I had a biopsy in conjunction with a D&C and it was not followed by bleeding as you describe.

Yes, that's what she said, a pad an hour.  So far it's not that heavy, but still not any lighter.

Does anyone know what the dr. will do when I go in on Monday?  What can they do except say yep, you're still bleeding...?? 

I would call them first thing in the morning as they suggested, so you can be seen. I don't know what they will do - my guess would be to advise you to keep watch on it a bit longer? See if it stops on its own? My guess is that any further definite action would wait for the biopsy results.