Menu

Morning sickness remedies that actually work?

Mergath

Well, I am another one who will say that I ate a lot of fast food that normally I would find NASTY. I normally don't eat any fast food. But I ate McChicken sandwiches to keep my tummy full and it worked for the first three months. After that I got a lot better. There are women in my family who have horrible pregnancies and can't do anything for nine months, but I worked all except for two weeks of one of mine (bed rest) and I worked up to the very end of the other. 

Congrats!!!

• Like 1

So I feel kind of silly. I had tried just about everything possible with the fresh ginger root I have in the fridge. Yesterday I tried some cheap ginger ale from the dollar store, and it actually helped. Not a lot, but enough so that I can move around without heaving if I take little sips of it constantly.

Homemade ginger root tea with organic wildflower honey = 0

Nasty generic ginger ale full of HFCS and artificial colors = 1

:closedeyes:

Some days I don't know why I bother.

You, too, might be a candidate for Slurpees. LOL

It's like mine knew they'd only get breastmilk and organic food for the next 2 years and they had to stock up on the chemicals.  As my in-laws were sending wheat grinders so baby could get fresh ground bread (I kid you not!) I was knocking down the Slurpees just to get through the day.

I couldn't even look at a cucumber or sweet potato.  Ugh.

• Like 3

You, too, might be a candidate for Slurpees. LOL

It's like mine knew they'd only get breastmilk and organic food for the next 2 years and they had to stock up on the chemicals.  As my in-laws were sending wheat grinders so baby could get fresh ground bread (I kid you not!) I was knocking down the Slurpees just to get through the day.

I couldn't even look at a cucumber or sweet potato.  Ugh.

I'll have to give that a try tomorrow when I have to somehow drag myself off the couch to bring dd to Tae Kwon Do. :)

Right now I'm eating an ice cream sandwich. Going good so far! I have gum and B6 for when I'm done.

I was eating so healthy up until I got pregnant. I lived on eggs and raw nuts and leafy greens and baked sweet potatoes. (Probably WHY I got pregnant in the first place.)

The other day I found half a bag of walnuts and I almost hurled right there. Anything healthy right now is gag-inducing. The only things I can choke down are jalapeno poppers, ice cream, and ginger ale. And fruit. I'm constantly craving oranges.

• Like 3

Awww. It is crazy. Hang in there!

( and my pre-first pregnancy righteous self would have so thought my first pregnancy self was just making excuses to eat unhealthfully. How I laugh now!)

Whatever gets you through.. Stay hydrated, take your vitamins--only at night! And do the best you can.

Edited by freesia
  • Like 1

Awww. It is crazy. Hang in there!

( and my pre-first pregnancy righteous self would have so thought my first pregnancy self was just making excuses to eat u healthfully. How I laugh now!)

Whatever gets you through.. Stay hydrated, take your vitamins--only at night! And do the best you can.

I admitted to my mom I've been having to eat, you know, carbs just to get through the day and she was horrified. "Oh no, you can't do that! You need to make yourself stick to your diet."

:001_rolleyes:

The next person I see or talk to irl besides dd is going to be at serious risk of getting punched out, lol. Well, I suppose I can let dh slide because he gets me things.

ETA: You guys online are awesome, of course. But the people I know irl are not being conducive to me not punching them.

Edited by Mergath
  • Like 1

One of the biggest annoyances of pregnancy is that the months when I feel the worst are at the beginning, when it of course is not obvious to everyone that I am pregnant. People get all solicitous when my belly is huge but really it is those early months when I need patience and tolerance and sympathy and help.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

Congratulations!

I diligently read through the entire thread with the vain hope of finding the magic bullet out there. Surely someone must have the solution out there. Excluding meds here's what I've concluded from these responses.

1. Junk food

2. Sour stuff

3. Salty food

4. Carbonation

I've used diclegin (called diclectin up here) in one pregnancy with great success. With a couple of my other pregnancies I went with dramamine (gravol) for a cheaper option. It's another anti-histamine/anti-nausa option considered safe in pregnancy.

For food suggestions I really appreciated homemade sauerkraut. I also found some success with raw apple cider vinegar in my water. Salt is where it's at though. Try salting your water. It goes down much easier that way. I've got a theory that the hormone flux messes with our flora which results in nausea. I'm sure it's also God's way of keeping us from eating rotten food while we're pregnant. It just gets a little messed up so that soda=good but at least spoiled meat=bad. Best of wishes! If it makes you feel any better HFCS has also the same glucose to fructose ratio as honey. Honey is good sugar, right? ;)

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

B6 + original Unisom (not the fast melts) did the trick for me. My midwife recommended it.

Congratulations!!!!

My OBGYN recommended this.  I would take it at night, and then again after I got to work.  It really took the edge off the all-day all-pregnancy "flu".    Because I didn't feel as sick, I was able to eat more protein, which helped as well.  

The liver, and basically your whole digestive system, slows down when you are pregnant so that the baby gets optimal nutrition but the toxins take longer to get out, in turn you get MS. 

Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy!!