Menu

Common Core math question

Good morning,

DD is in 8th grade and has been homeschooled most of her life. For the past few years, she has used CLE for math with much success wants to to use CLE for

Algebra I. However, my concern is that if she decides to go to PS for high school, will she have a problem transitioning to a PS common core aligned Algebra II class? I do not think that CLE is common core aligned and want to make sure that she is prepared for Algebra II topics as presented in PS.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

I would reach out to the administration at your high school and ask how the school would determine math placement for your daughter.  Some of the schools in my area no longer teach Algebra I. Instead, they teach three years of Integrated Math, and if you went with an Algebra I program, your daughter may have some holes when she transitioned to public school. 

Good luck.

• Like 3

Agree with the above.  Contact the school and see if you can at least look at the material they use.  If you can get an ISBN that would be helpful, too.  You might be able to buy the source material used on Amazon if they won't let you come look (but try to get that ISBN so you are sure you have the right version).  And if they would actually lend you the materials for a few days that would be even better.

CLE Algebra I covers a lot of topics and if she has used CLE 700 and 800 that also covers quite a few topics, some not typically covered in a lot of pre-algebra math programs.  CLE integrates a lot of its math already instead of compartmentalizing.  I don't think, if your child is really solid in math, that she would have any issues.  I have read many posts where students went right from CLE Algebra I into another math program with zero issues.  

As with any math program, though, different ones cover different topics at different times so she might have some gaps that need filling.  If she doesn't have a math LD that should be easy to do.  You just need to find a way to look at the material they will be using in the ps classroom.  And not just topic headings.  See how they approach the material and compare it to CLE.  Also, I would look at their Geometry materials if that area is not integrated into the overall math program. 

• Like 1

I don't know CLE in particular, but as someone who tutors math, I'd say there was a significant shift in content between the old Algebra 1 and the new. 

Most of the districts around me were careful that kids didn't switch from non-Common Core to Common core between Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 for this reason.  They had a couple transition points where they felt it was easier to switch, but they timed things so that kids who started in nonaligned Algebra 1 stayed in nonaligned classes throughout, and that they had the opportunity to take the nonaligned SAT as juniors. 

One thing you might be able to do is to use CLE as a spine, and then add in material from Khan academy or Aleks or something else that's CC aligned to fill in the holes.

• Like 2

I agree with the PPs about finding out what text the school uses for algebra 1, assuming the school is not teaching integrated math.  That doesn't necessarily answer the question, but it's a start.  (I have a child in a charter and a child in a private school who are both using the Glencoe McGraw Hill Common Core text for algebra 2, and yet neither teacher is using the book for instruction - just exercises.)

I'd start with poking around the school website and, if possible, math teachers' class websites (the latter is more difficult to find, but sometimes it's possible).  Ultimately I might email a math teacher to ask which book.  It would be a real coup to get your hands on a syllabus.

Assume there will be a placement test either in the spring of 8th grade or just before school starts - find out when so that you can prep, fill in holes, etc.

I would reach out to the administration at your high school and ask how the school would determine math placement for your daughter.  Some of the schools in my area no longer teach Algebra I. Instead, they teach three years of Integrated Math, and if you went with an Algebra I program, your daughter may have some holes when she transitioned to public school. 

Good luck.

A lot of districts in our area, including ours, are teaching integrated math in high school: Math I, II and III.

I don't know CLE in particular, but as someone who tutors math, I'd say there was a significant shift in content between the old Algebra 1 and the new. 

Most of the districts around me were careful that kids didn't switch from non-Common Core to Common core between Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 for this reason.  They had a couple transition points where they felt it was easier to switch, but they timed things so that kids who started in nonaligned Algebra 1 stayed in nonaligned classes throughout, and that they had the opportunity to take the nonaligned SAT as juniors. 

One thing you might be able to do is to use CLE as a spine, and then add in material from Khan academy or Aleks or something else that's CC aligned to fill in the holes.

Very true about a shift in content. My daughter has just started 8th grade math this trimester and when I look for supplemental materials, I find them in the non ccss aligned algebra 1 sections. I would definitely use Khan Academy (use the corresponding grade mission) or Aleks to fill holes.

... It would be a real coup to get your hands on a syllabus...

On that point it could also be helpful to talk to any kids you know who are taking class at the public school.  They can give you a sense of how much the teacher uses the text, and what the teacher does outside of the text.

• Like 1

I'd start with poking around the school website and, if possible, math teachers' class websites (the latter is more difficult to find, but sometimes it's possible).  Ultimately I might email a math teacher to ask which book.  It would be a real coup to get your hands on a syllabus.

A real syllabus is a rarity these days - mostly they just describe expected behavior and what notebooks are needed - which should be in the general school catalog/manual -  To see actual course content to be covered - especially with chapters is a real coup

good luck

• Like 1

On a tangent..... I'm helping a first time home schooling family with their 7th grader's math. We're using Dolciani's Pre-Algebra: An Accelerated Approach.  The student is doing fine with it, but he did start late due to a false start with Saxon 7/6. He's about 5 weeks "behind" where he'd be if he'd just started with Dolciani in September, but we're planning to finish before 8th grade.

He will probably return to the brick and mortar public middle school for 8th for social & sport reasons. (Can't do ps sports if you home school in CA.)  The middle school uses CPM. I believe they use the integrated/Core Connections texts.

Does anyone know if it will be problematic to go from a solid, but traditional Pre-Algebra text to an integrated/Common Core Algebra I?

Thanks for any thoughts. (I am trying to find out more about exactly what math paths this b&m has, but it can be difficult to pry information out of them. Not sure why.)

On a tangent..... I'm helping a first time home schooling family with their 7th grader's math. We're using Dolciani's Pre-Algebra: An Accelerated Approach.  The student is doing fine with it, but he did start late due to a false start with Saxon 7/6. He's about 5 weeks "behind" where he'd be if he'd just started with Dolciani in September, but we're planning to finish before 8th grade.

He will probably return to the brick and mortar public middle school for 8th for social & sport reasons. (Can't do ps sports if you home school in CA.)  The middle school uses CPM. I believe they use the integrated/Core Connections texts.

Does anyone know if it will be problematic to go from a solid, but traditional Pre-Algebra text to an integrated/Common Core Algebra I?

Thanks for any thoughts. (I am trying to find out more about exactly what math paths this b&m has, but it can be difficult to pry information out of them. Not sure why.)

Be sure to cover some Prob and Stats - I would see what they cover for "7th and 8th grade math" at the school

• Like 1

Also cover some simple function stuff, what is a function, notation, etc.  I'm trying to remember but some CC8 classes might even cover some systems of equations.  Here is a completely random teacher's website from google http://www.reynoldsmath.com/math-cc8.html .   The CC8 tab lists the chapters.  Of course, YMMV.  Covering CC8 topics can be important for the placement test when the student returns for 8th grade.

• Like 1

A real syllabus is a rarity these days - mostly they just describe expected behavior and what notebooks are needed - which should be in the general school catalog/manual -  To see actual course content to be covered - especially with chapters is a real coup

good luck

I never had a teacher give us a syllabus in high school.

I might be ancient and irrelevant though.  LOL

I'm wondering what "integrated math" means. Is it algebra plus geometry plus probability?

My state has (still) state wide exams for algebra and such, and they are now common core. We plan, for algebra 1, to finish the text we want to use (Foerster in our case) and then have a look at the test materials for the algebra 1 regents to see if any gaps.

I may also decide to have DS take the state test at end of 8th only because his English score would help enlighten placement when he does go to high school.