Menu

Food for late-evening (after dinner) get-together

marbel

My church is having our annual dinner this week.  For some reason it starts at 5:30 pm so will most likely be over by 8:30 or so.  I'm inviting the people at the dinner to come to our house afterward if they want to keep the evening going a little longer.  Also people who can't (or don't want to) be at the dinner but might be available later in the evening. Anyway, maybe 45-50 people.

At that point everyone will have eaten dinner and dessert, but I need/want to have some food anyway.  For one thing, I'll be serving alcohol, but also... people like to eat.  I have tons of ideas and recipes for appetizers but I'm trying to figure out what is the best kind of thing to have for late-night snacking.   I don't want a ton of leftover food that won't keep.  So far I'm thinking of:

- Warm brie with some sort of topping

- Two (three?) other cheeses (cheddar, maybe manchego, maybe a plain goat cheese)

- Muhammara (roasted red pepper dip with walnuts - clearly marked for nut allergies; this is also dairy-free)

- Bowl of roasted mixed nuts OR a bowl of nuts in the shell with tools - give people something to do?

- Bread or crackers, and celery sticks, red pepper strips (or mini peppers?), maybe cucumbers as vehicles for cheese and spread

- Cheese straws 

- Some sort of plainish cookie for a bite of sweet - shortbread, maybe, or a tin of cookies from the store, like the Danish butter cookies that are everywhere

- Dark chocolate, such as a bowl of wrapped Dove pieces or Hershey's kisses

- Bowl of clementines

That looks like a lot but it is all stuff that will keep and/or my family will eat if it doesn't get consumed on the spot.  

There is one person who has a non-life-threatening nut allergy, and one person with celiac who might or might not be there but generally brings his own food anyway to be safe.  There won't be any kids.  I don't want to use utensils other than spreaders and cheese knives.  :-)   I will have red and white wine (prob Malbec and Sauvignon Blanc), decaf coffee, tea, sparking water - I've found a grapefruit one that people seem to like - plain water. Maybe I'll bring out the amaretto and kahlua to add to coffee if people like.  (There is no alcohol at the dinner, so people won't already have been drinking.)

Whew, long explanation but anyway, party planners, what do you think?   

I think what you're offering sounds great!

The things that came to my mind before I read your list was:

Cheese and crackers

Hummus and veggies

A black bean dish, which is basically black beans, salsa, grated cheddar cheese, and green onions heated up and served as a type of dip with tortilla chips

I also really like your idea of a bowl of clementines

And a bowl of wrapped dark chocolate pieces is probably a good idea for those craving a sweet!

• Like 3

That sounds really good.

You have quite a spread, but I would want something more substantial and served warm as an option for those who maybe didn't like the dinner that much.  Maybe tortellini alfredo in a chafing dish with toothpicks.

Have you seen those chocolates with cordials in them?  You can serve them to eat, and people can dissolve them in their coffee.  Or they have little tiny chocolate cups that you fill with kahlua or cointreau or Grand Marnier that people then put into their coffee.  That is really festive, and you get offer people the choice as to which one they want.  You could buy cinnamon dolce syrup from Starbucks as a non-alcohol-containing alternative.  It's kind of a fun custom.

• Like 1

Do you have a specific recipe or just wing it?  Sounds good!

I mostly just wing it!  I do variations of it, whatever I'm in the mood for.

I usually do it in layers, in a 8 x 8 or larger cake pan.  First layer drained and rinsed black beans.  Then you can put various layers of:  chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, chopped avocados, black olives, etc.  Sometimes I'll put a layer of sour cream in there.  Sometimes salsa, if it seems like it won't have enough flavor on its own. Top with grated cheese.  You can also mix a little cumin, salt and pepper into the black beans.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the ideas!  They all sound good.   

Not sure about doing something hot.  I think it is a good idea, but I'm going to be at the dinner too, so I really need to have everything except coffee and tea pretty much ready to serve.  I'll have to think about that.  

I would invite you all if I could.  :-)

• Like 2