Menu

Scholastic Warehouse Sale

displace

A mom told me a year or two ago about the scholastic warehouse sale. Today is the first time that I'm going. I usually just check out books from the library, but we're... working on our relationship. 😬

In the meantime I've been buying leisure reading books for DS and I hope to find some good things.

Have you been to one? Are they awesome or overwhelming, crazy or organized? I have to bring the kids so I'm a little anxious about that. I'm not a good shopper with the kids around!

• Like 2

How old are your kids?  

I found them to be OK but not great for up to about age 12, I think. (After age 12, forget it.)  They were well-organized and there were a lot of books, fiction and non-fiction, and a lot of them were cheap, but there weren't a lot that were really useful for us.  The only specific memory I have is of getting a novel that turned out to be one of our favorites.  But other than that my general impression is "meh."

This was 7 years ago so things may have changed.  Certainly it's worth a look if it's convenient.

LOL at first I thought you meant you were working on your relationship with your mom and this was an event to help you with that.  But it's your library relationship, right?  That's better.  

Oh, I am in the US.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

What marbel said

We're going today, but it's kinda the same old stuff after a while and the choices are not very good - just meh. Once in a while we find something interesting. We only go because it's nearby. I kind of forgot about until I saw this post.

Edited by Kathleen.
  • Like 1

I loved them! Of course I was a teacher with a classroom at the time so I could buy a ton of books to use as Christmas gifts and birthday gifts  to hand out to my students. When my kids were younger, I would also stock up on gifts for their friends. They tend to have a lot of those 'gift' type books - like the ones that come with a necklace. It is fun to go. 

• Like 2

I think they are better for younger kids (elementary). The deals are pretty good. The one closest to me is held in a hotel conference room, even if you go on the second or third day there are still plenty of books. Kind of think of the offerings to be similar to what you would find in a book order form.

I have been to the actual warehouse sale in Cincinatti, it is in the working Scholastic warehouse so there is a ton more selection. They also have a box deal where you can purchase whatever fits into the box for $25. It is only from a certain selection but I found some great children's story bibles and picture books for my nieces and nephews that way.

If the one you are going to is in Louisville, maybe we will run into each other. We are heading there for a field trip so I thought I'd stop at that sale.

• Like 1

The sale kind of stunk this year. Most everything was 25% off instead of 50% like usual. There were lots of craft kits. The books seemed to mostly be "twaddle", not all of it but a lot. There was a lot of Star Wars, Lego, Diary of a Whimpy Kid, and Magic Tree House. I did notice a hardback of The Secret Garden, some Ezra Jack Keats, and the new Jan Brett book. If you happen to be Jewish there were a few picture books geared toward Jewish children. There were also lots of Christmas themed picture books.

• Like 1