Menu

The _Body Ecology Diet_ has a great recipe for tomato free tomato sauce. It's based on butternut squash, italian seasoning and a little acv to give it the acidity. I love the stuff.

I don't currently have the book availble, but it's worth checking out from the library for that recipe and a few of the soup recipes.

Chicken Mirabella is a wonderful tomato free recipe.

:)

Celery and quinoa soup: saute celery and onions. Add stock and quinoa. Bring to a boil then simmer. You can add diced chicken breast at the first stage if you like, but the quinoa has quite a bit of protein.

Couscous salad: prepare whole-grain couscous however it says on the packet. Mix with some olive oil and lime/lemon juice, plus salt and pepper. Mix in whatever raw veggies you have (cucumber, bell pepper, etc.) plus tinned tuna/mackerel.

Mixed veg and pearl barley stew with beef: saute onions, whatever root vegetables you have around, and a small amount of stewing beef (the beef is for flavour - it's not the biggest nutrition source for the dish). Add stock, whatever herbs you want (mixed is fine), a bayleaf and pearl barley. Bring to the boil, then simmer until done.

Chicken and bell peppers: marinate diced chicken breast for several hours in the fridge in olive oil, lime juice, salt, fajita seasoning (optional), pepper and crushed garlic. Saute strips of bell pepper until soft. Put pepper aside on a plate. Use the same pan to saute the chicken with marinade until just done. Add the bell peppers back in. Serve with whole-grain pasta and a steamed green vegetable.

Best wishes

Laura

Edited by Laura in China

Everything that is easy, healthy and inexpensive seems to involve tomatoes. I would love recipes, as 3 family members are allergic, and making meal planning difficult. Thanks!

Are they allergic to all nightshade plants, or just tomatoes? I have a pizza sauce recipe using red peppers that's pretty good, but it wouldn't work if they can't have peppers. We used to use it on pasta, too, when one of our dc was sensitive to tomatoes.

What about soups and stews? You can easily make them without tomatoes. Just cook chicken or beef in the crock pot with a cup of water. (Overnight works well on low.) Remove cooked meat from crock pot. Strain the drippings and wipe any gook out of the crock pot, then put the drippings back in and add in some of the meat plus chopped onion and other veggies (frozen works fine - we use two bags). Some pressed garlic, if you like it, as well as any other seasonings. Add water to just cover (frozen veggies give off more as they cook), stir up the ingredients to mix, and add salt. Cook it on high for about 4 hours and it will be done. You get a big pot of soup, plus meat to eat for another meal.

Oriental stir fry? Rice, stir-fried veggies, meat of your choice.

If you made the soup with chicken, you could marinate the cooked chicken in something flavorful. It won't have the same texture as cooking it raw, but it's still good. We don't use soy, so I like using pineapple juice, pressed garlic, chopped or ground ginger, and a little oil. Maybe a little ground mustard, too, or a touch of honey.

I hope this gave you some ideas!

I don't have the recipes handy to post with them, but here are some ideas for you to mull over:

mac and cheese

pasta primavera

pasta with pesto sauce or alfredo sauce

beef stroganoff

French onion soup

cheddar corn chowder

oven fried chicken

red beans and rice

stir fry

lasagna made with white sauce and veggies

chicken piccata

whole wheat pancakes or French toast with blueberry syrup and sausage

wraps of all kinds

chef salad without tomatoes

white garlic pizza with veggie toppings

chicken stew

chicken pot pie

fajitas without added tomatoes

omelettes

white chicken chili

The _Body Ecology Diet_ has a great recipe for tomato free tomato sauce. It's based on butternut squash, italian seasoning and a little acv to give it the acidity. I love the stuff.

I don't currently have the book availble, but it's worth checking out from the library for that recipe and a few of the soup recipes.

Chicken Mirabella is a wonderful tomato free recipe.

A tomato sauce substitute sounds wonderful! I cannot wait to try it. Thanks!

Celery and quinoa soup:

Couscous salad:

Mixed veg and pearl barley stew with beef:

Chicken and bell peppers: Laura

Thanks for the nutritious ideas!

Are they allergic to all nightshade plants, or just tomatoes? I have a pizza sauce recipe using red peppers that's pretty good, but it wouldn't work if they can't have peppers. We used to use it on pasta, too, when one of our dc was sensitive to tomatoes.

You get a big pot of soup, plus meat to eat for another meal.

I would love the red pepper recipe. They are allergic to tomatoes and eggplant, but so far peppers seem to be fine.:)

I don't have the recipes handy to post with them, but here are some ideas for you to mull over:

chicken piccata

white chicken chili

I usually cook most of these suggestions, but not the above... Do you happen to have recipes for those?

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I posted on an allergy board and got no response! They are used to wheat and milk over there, I guess.:tongue_smilie:

Dad Windu has ulcers and has had to cut all tomatoes, spicy foods, caffeine (including chocolate!), coffee, tea, peppermint, and liquor out of his diet. The chocolate and liquor bans are killing him (he loves his 1-3 beers a week from the local brew pub and thick slabs of chocolate cake).

I'm stealing the above ideas and if you PM me (to remind me), I'll be happy to share tomato-free recipes as I come across them. We had sausage ravioli with pesto sauce (both bought at Costco) tonight and it was a hit.

We have a tomato and eggplant allergy at our house. In stews and soups I substitute diced canned peaches and a splash of acv for diced canned tomatoes. I often sub equivalent amount of jam with a splash of acv for small amounts of tomato paste. We use pesto on pasta on pizza and pasta. I also like pureed olives with garlic and olive oil on pizza. I sub Annie's red pepper dressing for salsa on tacos.

Above are good naturall tomato-free foods.

Dad Windu has ulcers and has had to cut all tomatoes, spicy foods, caffeine (including chocolate!), coffee, tea, peppermint, and liquor out of his diet. The chocolate and liquor bans are killing him (he loves his 1-3 beers a week from the local brew pub and thick slabs of chocolate cake).

I'm stealing the above ideas and if you PM me (to remind me), I'll be happy to share tomato-free recipes as I come across them. We had sausage ravioli with pesto sauce (both bought at Costco) tonight and it was a hit.

I love your Star Wars based tags! One thing I am very thankful for is that I can still have chocolate!

I am not allergic to tomatoes as far as I can tell. But nursing DS is, so I cannot have them either. Coffee, tea, yeast (which includes beer), tomatoes, mushrooms and oatmeal are all out for me, so I can relate to the ban on beverages being difficult. I am going to see if green tea is tolerable. I tried Coke and though Jake can handle it, I can't. I have ADD and was previously drinking a blend of coffee and Reishi Mushroom with great results. Now I have just been suffering with no treatment. :(

Edited by Lovedtodeath

We have a tomato and eggplant allergy at our house. In stews and soups I substitute diced canned peaches and a splash of acv for diced canned tomatoes. I often sub equivalent amount of jam with a splash of acv for small amounts of tomato paste. We use pesto on pasta on pizza and pasta. I also like pureed olives with garlic and olive oil on pizza. I sub Annie's red pepper dressing for salsa on tacos.

Above are good naturall tomato-free foods.

I will look into the dressing. I like marinated olives and peppers on sandwiches as a tomato substitute too. Peaches really work? Do they work for chili? Do you have a sloppy joe recipe or a ketchup substitute?:D

What is acv? I have heard of unbuffered Vit. C powder, is it like this? Where do you get it?

Thank you!!

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Thanks for posting again! I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you! I knew I was forgetting something!

Here's the red pepper pizza sauce recipe. I concocted this myself, and my goal was to make it fast for topping only one individual pizza crust. You'll need to increase the amount for a full-sized pizza, and you could probably improve on the flavor by adjusting the seasoning - maybe add some basil, if you like that in pizza sauce. Still, this will give you an idea of where to start.

Red Pepper Pizza Sauce - serves 1

2 red bell peppers

1 t. oregano

1 clove garlic

1 slice onion, chopped

Microwave peppers 4 minutes, then chop in handy chopper. (It's has a tiny blade, like a food processor. Use your best alternative.) Add other ingredients. Chop again. Spread on mini-pizza crust and add toppings, then bake.

Since red peppers get pricey, you might want to go light on the sauce and focus more on toppings. Still, that red color just makes it look right. :)

Also, someone else suggested it, but here's my recipe for white chili.

White Chili

1 lb. large white beans, soaked overnight and drained

6 c. chicken broth

2 cloves minced garlic

1 medium onion, chopped (divided)

2 T. oil

1 4oz. can chopped green chilies (or 1-2 serrano peppers, chopped)

2 tsp. ground cumin

1 1/4 tsp. oregano

1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

4 cups diced cooked chicken

Cook beans, broth, garlic, and half the onions in a large soup pot. Bring to boil and reduce heat. Simmer 2 hours. Saute remaining onions in oil in a skillet until tender. Add chilies and seasonings, then mix thoroughly. Add this mixture and the chicken to the beans, then simmer another 1/2 hour. Serve topped with grated cheese and cornbread on side. Other possible toppings: ripe olives, sour cream, crumbled tortilla chips, chopped tomatoes, etc.

I hope that helps!

I have never tried peaches in chili. I have only used them in things that aren't tomato based but I would give it a shot. You might try pureeing to disguise them and maybe even a bit of red food coloring if the orange color bothers you.

I believe that I tried it once in a sloppy joe type food. It didn't go over well with my family but I thought that it was fine. I don't have any recipes it was just trial and error.

As for a ketchup substitute my son used agave nectar and I went without or used mustard. I never did try to make a tomato-free ketchup.

ACV is apple cider vinager.

It is tough when you are nursing a child with allergies. My son was allergic to tomatoes, egg plant, strawberries, raspberries, and nuts.

HTH

Hmmm.....No tomato allergy here, though dh won't eat anything with tomatoes, so I have some thoughts. I don't cook always that way, since dc are currently off wheat,dairy and soy...ugh..... Okay....

Red lentil soup

Potato leek soup

Quesadillas and a salad

Gumbo

Rice and beans

Potato boats

Roast chicken

Meat loaf (just leave out ketchup if recipe calls for it)

any kind of stir fry

I should be able to think of more. Hope some of this helps. Let me know if you need any recipes, though most of these are pretty straight forward.

• 1 month later...

This is the quickest, easiest rice salad ever:

BASMATI RICE SALAD

1 cup cooked quinoa

1/2 cup sesame seeds

1 1/2 cup basmati rice

1/4 cup lemon juice

4 cloves mashed garlic

1/2 cup sunflower seeds

1/2 cup grated carrots

1/2 cup oil

1/4 cup shoyu sauce

1 cup cooked peas

*1. Mix all the above ingredients together. Store in fridge. Serve chilled and enjoy.

Azerbaijani Lamb Pilaf

Ingredients

2-3 tbsp oil

650g diced lamb

2 onions, chopped

1 tsp ground cumin

200g rice, aborio, long grain or basmanti

1 tsp saffron threads

100ml pomegranate juice

850ml chicken stock

115g dried apricots, soaked and sliced into quarters

2 tbsp raisins (optional)

Method

• Heat the oil in large saucepan over high heat, add the lamb in batches and cook for about 7 mins, turning until lightly browned all over.
  • Add the onion, reduce the heat to medium-high and cook for about 2 mins, or until beginning to soften. Add the cumin and rice and cook for about 2 mins, stirring to coat well, until the rice is almost clear. Stir in the saffron mixed in a little bit of water.

3. Add the pomegranate juice and stock and bring mixture to the boil stirring to avoid sticking. Add the soaked apricots and the raisins, and stir to mix well. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 20-25 mins, stirring occasionally, until lamb a rice are just tender and liquid has been absorbed.

Tamarind Chicken (serves 6)

Ingredients

60g dried tamarind

½ cup boiling water

6 chicken thighs

1 onion, sliced

1 tsp crushed garlic

1/3 cup palm or brown sugar

2 tbsp fish sauce

steamed rice, to serve

Method

• Soak dried tamarind in boiling water and mix well to loosen the fibres and seeds. Force through a sieve and extract the liquid. Discard the pulp.
  • Heat oil in frying pan, add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent. Add the chicken, and cook, about 10-15 mins. Set aside the chicken.
  • Add prepared tamarind water, sugar, and fish sauce, simmer until combined. Return chicken to the pan and simmer for a further 5 mins.
  • Serve with rice.

• 10 months later...

Ah, found the thread again! I knew someone had posted wanting tomato free recipes. Well, I just pureed a tin of chickpeas, a tin of corn and a tin of heart of palm and it made a remarkably tasty pasta sauce. How's that? Not only tomato free, but dairy, wheat, gluten and soy free :) I was surprised. It was much tastier than I expected from an end of the fortnight pantry clean out.

Rosie

I have permission to eat my mild allergies (my major allergies are alcohol, chocolate and yeast) as long as I avoid hard to digest or heat energy foods.

Food to avoid due to their nature energy being hot or being harder to digest: grapes, grapefruit, orange, tangerine, banana, plaintain, mango, cherry, cranberry, raspberry, strawberry, blueberry, plum, corn, beans, nuts, cheese, brown rice, popcorn, chocolate, sweet potato, garlic, red pepper, ginger, onion, cereal, bakery or flour products such as bread, bagel, cake, cookies, croissant, doughnut, pizza or pasta, etc. Eat less of foods that are deep fried, grilled, barbecued, oven baked, salty, spicy or heavy in flavor. Avoid completely food with chemical additives or preservatives (sodium nitrate, sulfur dioxide, aspartame, etc.).

So for the past couple of days I ate mostly cottage cheese. :P

With a diet like that, I'd be trying to drown myself in a bucket of the stuff.
:lol: I am close to it! I have decided that breakfast is off limits because when I starve literally ALL DAY then I feel horrible and am crabby with the kids, then I get up at 3 AM and eat graham crackers because of the empty pit that needs filling. Plus, DH introduced me to coffee last week!

So... I am allowing myself things that are baked (cereal, muffins) or similar (pancakes for example) for breakfast. I will switch to green tea as soon as I get to the grocery.

:lol: I am close to it! I have decided that breakfast is off limits because when I starve literally ALL DAY then I feel horrible and am crabby with the kids, then I get up at 3 AM and eat graham crackers because of the empty pit that needs filling. Plus, DH introduced me to coffee last week!

So... I am allowing myself things that are baked (cereal, muffins) or similar (pancakes for example) for breakfast. I will switch to green tea as soon as I get to the grocery.

Carmen, if you don't mind answering, what type of practitioner are you seeing that put you on this diet? I ask because for awhile my mother had a homeopathic vet who talked about foods being "hot" or "cool," and had nothing to do with their temperature at serving. :) I am just curious about this line of thought. Thanks!

I am seeing a Natural Doctor. She normally recommends a diet that makes a lot of sense. :tongue_smilie:I was on that for 5 weeks. No processed foods, no pork, no red meat, maple syrup was the only sweetener I was allowed. Oh, and only low glycemic foods. (Oh, this is for Ulcerative Colitis that has shown pre-cancer.)

Now, she has tested me using electrodermal scan (it is a machine and tests your accupressure points for energy resistance) and prescribed traditional chinese medicines and this traditional chinese diet for "heat toxicity". You can google "heat toxic" and find some things. I know that the "heat toxic chi" herbal supplement that I am on makes a world of difference. I don't want to be without it.

As far as how bad things are, etc. I have very little to go on and would love more information if you have any. For example.. is my whole meal ruined because of some chili powder or parmesan if the rest of it meets the criteria?