Menu

buttermilk substitute for ranch dressing

SparklyUnicorn

I know what the substitute is, but does anyone know if it is as good in ranch dressing?

I guess I just have to try it.  I can't always find buttermilk and I can't go through the whole carton quickly enough either.  I read it can be frozen, but then I wonder if that would be so great when used in a dressing after. 

I'll just try it, but then if someone else has that might save me the trouble if it doesn't work!

Never made buttermilk dressing. We use plain yogurt as a buttermilk substitute in recipes.

I thought about that too. 

I guess I have a lot of experimenting to do!

I just hate to buy buttermilk because I'd use a cup of it and then what?  I don't use it for anything else regularly (and I'm not really looking to start doing so).

• Like 1

Although does it work in salad dressings?  I worry about it tasting like powdered milk (which tastes terrible IMO unless it is in a baked good).

It doesn't have that awful taste of powdered milk, no.  A bit tangy, just thin.

I do like the idea of using a yogurt in its place, though.  I think I might try that the next time I make ranch.

• Like 1

It doesn't have that awful taste of powdered milk, no.  A bit tangy, just thin.

I do like the idea of using a yogurt in its place, though.  I think I might try that the next time I make ranch.

Yeah, I do think yogurt would have enough tang.  And I'd use the leftover yogurt. 

Buttermilk though, nope.  I don't use it.  I can't always find it either.

And there is only so much dressing I'm going to eat in a few days.  Now I mostly buy the bottled stuff, but I'm not sure what half the stuff is that they put in there.

Make your own buttermilk; that's what I always do. I almost never buy it. Add either 1 tbs lemon juice or 1 tbs white vinegar per 1 cup of milk and let sit for a few minutes until it slightly thickens. Then use as you would buttermilk. It's awesome in pancakes :)

Yeah I'm going to first try that.  That would be the cheapest and easiest.

I don't make pancakes.  I really just want it for the dressing. 

many years ago - dh used up all my buttermilk when I was making pancakes for my very young girls (no sons at the time).

he improvised with 1 part sour cream to 2 parts milk.  we have *never* bought buttermilk since. I don't like the more common substitute.

need a cup? 2/3 cup milk, 1/3 cup sour cream.

Make your own buttermilk; that's what I always do. I almost never buy it. Add either 1 tbs lemon juice or 1 tbs white vinegar per 1 cup of milk and let sit for a few minutes until it slightly thickens. Then use as you would buttermilk. It's awesome in pancakes :)

This is what I always sub for buttermilk in recipes. It tastes just fine.

just thin out some yogurt. it's the easiest solution for a dressing. You can use water or milk to thin the yogurt.

And the soured milk is also an option, but it's not exactly buttermilk.  It does act the same, it gives some tang, but buttermilk is cultured like yogurt or keffir. Milk with lemon or vinegar is soured. But they are fine substitutes for baking.

I buy buttermilk regularly and use it in baking.  It can be substituted for milk in most things and makes a better product. I especially like it as the liquid in bread making. It makes a nice light bread.

• Like 1

That's what my Mom does. She says to her there's no difference. I buy the real thing when I can find it because after learning here it stays good for weeks and weeks, I can usually go through enough pancakes for the kids to justify it. I make a couple of huge batches and then freeze them. 

I have to share- it was really hilarious the day my oldest came flying into the room to tell me "Mom!!! Something has gone horribly, horribly, wrong with the milk you just bought!!!) when she accidentally put buttermilk in her cereal not realizing it wasn't her normal whole milk.  :ack2:  :ack2:  :ack2:

When I did Whole30, I made the most amazing ranch dressing based on a slightly too runny batch of the homemade mayo!  It's super easy and you can add milk if your mayo is thick.  

It's just an egg, a pinch of salt, a tiny bit of Dijon or ground mustard, and light-tasting olive oil.  Here is the recipe (ingredients must be at room temp, btw!):  http://cassidyscraveablecreations.com/2015/11/easy-homemade-mayonnaise-paleo-whole30-dairy-free.html

Then, to make it ranch, add some milk (dairy or not) and throw in some onion powder, garlic powder, dill, parsley and chives (all dry). Salt if you want. I didn't even measure.  lol  Best after it sits for several hours.

*Edited to add this recipe I found which is almost exactly what I did!  http://therealfoodrds.com/paleo-ranch-dressing-dip/

Edited by 6packofun
  • Like 1