Menu

Thanksgiving recipe

SquirrellyMama

Bread...

Other than that, it depends upon your tastes.

Bruschetta fits the bill, but isn't a typical "Thanksgiving" food.

Green salad of some sort. (you can keep lettuce in a ziplock baggie with some paper towels to help reduce moisture in a small cooler with a couple of blue ice blocks -- then add the toppings/dressing once you reach your destination)

Black Bean Salad (again, not a typical Thanksgiving Dish)

I get stuck on the low sugar, low fat and low salt aspect.  Sorry!

Hmmm...assuming you can keep things chilled while traveling...

A really pretty vegetable tray

Hummus and a combination of vegetables and pita bread to use for dipping

A deviled egg platter

Tiny tea sandwiches cut into decorative quarters (like maybe cucumber filled)

A cold spinach salad (served with a low fat dressing)

Another type of salad

What I do for that is blanch trimmed but uncut green beans (blue lake if I can find them), quench them in cold water, and toss with minced shallots and a strong dijon mustard vinaigrette, keeping the beans all pointed more or less the same way, like straws in a dispenser.  I pop the whole thing into one of those Tupperware marinaders and put it in the fridge, turning occasionally.  On the road I turn it every time we stop for gas or whatever.  When we arrive, I lift the beans onto a long narrow serving dish.  They look nice, and they are perfect with a heavy meal because they have a strong flavor that cuts the mooshy fatty flavors of a typical heavy meat meal, like a palate cleaner.  Plus they totally travel well.

Another possibility, but it's a TON of work, is to make a fall salad.  For every two bags of spinach leaves, you add one pomegranate worth of seeds, and two fuyu persimmons, and 4 oz of feta cheese.  BUT, you have to seed the pomegranates, and you have to peel and core and very thinly slice the persimmons, which takes forever.  The way I do this is make the vinaigrette--I use one with more of a lemon flavor than most for this recipe--whisk it together, and put it in the bottom of a big salad bowl.  Then I add the seeds and the slices of fruit, then the cheese, so they can soak.  I bring the bagged greens in a cooler, and add them and toss on site.  This is REALLY good.  A sprinkle of chopped toasted walnuts on top is very festive.  And the whole thing looks perfect for fall.

ETA:  Forgot to mention, for the beans since the vinaigrette is more of a marinade than a dressing, I leave out most or all of the olive oil so that it's a sharper flavor.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

If you have an idea that you would like to take, but needs to be warmed...take your crockpot if you have one.  I use it for things like dinner rolls or yams all the time at family gatherings or work events.  I wouldn't start something cold in it and expect it to cook while you are there, but to warm something that is already cooked or maintain a safe temp for something heated in the microwave, it works great. 

If you can take fruit.. I would likely take something like a kale and mango salad.  I like to chop the fresh mango into small 1cm pieces. It goes nicely with a turkey dinner. I'm not crazy about the coconut on it, so I tend to go light or sprinkle it around the edges so people can avoid it if they want or just skip it altogether. ```` ETA: Sorry, I didn't think about the salt on the cashews....it may not be low salt after all. LOL  You could probably use unsalted raw cashews (they are a bit sweet), but you would want to try it first to make sure the dish doesn't need the salt to pull it together. 

Edited by Tap