Menu

Grain free / Vegetarian dinner guest

mom of 2 boys

Hi there, I have a grain free/vegetarian dinner guest coming this weekend and I need some suggestions, if you don't mind. I served Mexican the last time she was here, mostly due to lack of any better idea's. I thought of stir fry, but I have no idea how to make a stir fry sauce that doesn't have a meat broth as it's base, and I'd rather not try anything too new for the first time when serving it to guests. That leaves me with...brown rice pasta with some kind of sauce? Personally, I don't think that brown rice pasta is very good, but what else can I do? Does anyone have any ideas? I'm not a super experienced cook, and I'm still kind of insecure about cooking for guests, so I'm really looking to make something fairly basic. There will be three other adults eating that are not vegetarians. I need to get this figured out within the next couple of days and it's really stressing me out! Thanks  :crying:

If eggs are an option, you could go with tapas: tortilla is super easy and can be made in advance, champinones a la plancha is also really easy, eggplant, chickpeas with spinach... Lots of choices, and most very easy to make.  Also sangria. Everybody likes sangria. :)

eta if eggs are not an option there are still plenty of easy and delicious tapas to make.

Edited by bibiche

Baked potato bar with lots of toppings. Amy's makes a canned vegetarian chili that's good or you can make your own easily. Just leave out the meat from your favorite recipe. Salsa, cheese, sour cream, broccoli, whatever else you want. You can have crumbled bacon for meat eaters. Green side salad and you're set.

Edited by zoobie
  • Like 2

Vegetables.

If they can have dairy: vegetable bake. Cook many different kinds of veggies until still a tad firm, also potatoes and onions, layer n baking dish, add a cream sauce, bake in oven. Or make an Hollandaise and bake the veggies with the Hollandaise.

Or the Moosewoood mushroom-carrot loaf , adapted to leave out the bread crumbs if the guest can have absolutely no grains

If they can't have dairy:

vegan vegetable soup

baked butternut squash&garbanzo bean salad in lemon tahini

roasted vegetables, roasted potatoes,  roasted sweet potatoes

add a nice salad

It is really not that difficult to feed a vegetarian.

Edited by regentrude

do you mean gluten free?  Since rice is a grain...

try browsing through this: http://cookieandkate.com/2015/20-gluten-free-vegetarian-dinner-recipes/

I'd probably go with rice & a couple different curries. Or a bean soup and salad. 

Oh no, rice IS a grain, now I'm not sure. I'll have to double check. I'm pretty sure she is grain free and not just gluten free. There goes my pasta idea! I'll check out your link, thank you! 

If eggs are okay, what about "breakfast bowls"? Roasted diced potatoes and/or sweet potatoes, peppers, onions, eggs, cheese, bacon for meat eaters (or those non-meat bacon bits), salsa or hot sauce, diced avocado. Bowls of fresh, chopped fruit for a side dish.

I love the idea, but I am pretty sure she is egg intolerant as well. 

Baked potato bar with lots of toppings. Amy's makes a canned vegetarian chili that's good or you can make your own easily. Just leave out the meat from your favorite recipe. Salsa, cheese, sour cream, broccoli, whatever else you want. You can have crumbled bacon for meat eaters. Green side salad and you're set.

Thank you! This is a good idea! 

Vegetables.

If they can have dairy: vegetable bake. Cook many different kinds of veggies until still a tad firm, also potatoes and onions, layer n baking dish, add a cream sauce, bake in oven. Or make an Hollandaise and bake the veggies with the Hollandaise.

Or the Moosewoood mushroom-carrot loaf , adapted to leave out the bread crumbs if the guest can have absolutely no grains

If they can't have dairy:

vegan vegetable soup

baked butternut squash&garbanzo bean salad in lemon tahini

roasted vegetables, roasted potatoes,  roasted sweet potatoes

add a nice salad

It is really not that difficult to feed a vegetarian.

Thank you! I really like the soup idea, I feel like that's something that I can handle. I also feel like I can handle baking some vegetables. I'm pretty sure she can have dairy.