Menu

Good exercises for tightening stomach muscles

morningcoffee

Which ones do you do daily? I already do some cardio exercise but I want to develop a quick routine (5 - 10 mins) to work on my stomach muscles. I don't want to use any equipment or have to pop in a dvd. 

I would really appreciate links to a diagram or youtube clip if you have examples to share with me. 

One simple thing you can do is think about your posture and start using your abdominals more for support. You can develop the habit over time. Touch your toes and use your abs to stand back up just to get a good feel for activating those muscles. Get a feel for them being lightly engaged. Try to relax your back more and give your abs more work. With effort it can become your new norm and your back will thank you. I started using my abs more for support during dance classes and it transferred to everyday life. Now if my back bugs me, and I consciously switch more to ab support, I can relax my back and the pain dissolves.

• Like 5

If you have any abdominal separation (diastasis recti) from having babies, stay away from traditional sit ups and crunches, or it will get worse. Planks, cat-cow, and alternating opposite arm and leg lifts help me when I actually do them.

I was coming in to say the same thing.  If you have diastasis rectii or abdominal hernia or any other abdominal weakness, you might want to consider a program like Mutu Focus.  It's a little pricy, but very good, and the actual exercise routine takes only 5 minutes and you don't need to a DVD or anything to do it once you've watched the demo videos.  

If you have NO abdominal issues, then the best bang for your buck is bicycle crunches, though I'd definitely add planks in order to also work on all the other little stabilizing muscles in the back, hips, shoulders, etc.  

• Like 1

I would third the advice to look for diastasis first. I did Mutu a couple of years ago to take care of that and build basic strength. Then I just worked up from there. At my classes we do various Pilates exercises, boat pose and wicked plank moves- llike lift one leg at a time or bringing the knee to the outside of the elbow and holding it there. At home I mostly do moves that require core but aren't strictly ab moves except the hollow body hold and hollow body plank. With any ab move the main thing to remember is proper form, if you can't stay engaged back off and do something easier.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1