Menu

Anyone else find that they just want to eat more this time of year?

I don't know if it's the waning daylight or the urge to bake more (or both:tongue_smilie:) so I usually end up gaining a little weight. So I tell myself "This year I won't eat so much of the kids' Halloween candy". (Get that word "much":D) But then the candy arrives &...Munch, Munch, Munch. After that I say, "I won't eat seconds at Thanksgiving" but then..... and on it goes.

Spring & Summer seem a lot easier to control my appetite. Anyone else suffer from Seasonal Eating dysfunction with me???

Jacqui

I don't know if it's the waning daylight or the urge to bake more (or both:tongue_smilie:) so I usually end up gaining a little weight. So I tell myself "This year I won't eat so much of the kids' Halloween candy". (Get that word "much":D) But then the candy arrives &...Munch, Munch, Munch. After that I say, "I won't eat seconds at Thanksgiving" but then..... and on it goes.

Spring & Summer seem a lot easier to control my appetite. Anyone else suffer from Seasonal Eating dysfunction with me???

Jacqui

Not yet, but when the temperatures drop a bit more I will get that way. When it is no longer hot during the day I will get the baking bug in a big way! I better up my treadmill time!

Oh, YES--definitely. And we're not alone: I remember Sally Squires from the Washington Post's Lean Plate Club writing something like that even normal-weight folks gain about an average of a pound over the winter/holidays that they eventually lose in the course of the next year--and overweight folks gain an average of FIVE pounds that they don't eventually lose at all. Scary!

She always had a Holiday Challenge, which was just to maintain your weight during this time of year. She provided lots of helpful charts and stuff to track your food intake and also your weight. I loved it, and I'm bummed that she's not around anymore (she took a voluntary early retirement from the Post). Wish we could do something like that on these boards because even I, a committed non-baker, get the urge to make cookies at this time of year. ;)

Oh yes, absolutely!

I'm already fighting the urge to make all kinds of cheese based or cream based soups. Potatoes have become my newest craving. Bread, pasta, and....well, you get the idea.

Over the summer, I've lost about 14 pounds by eating lots and lots of fresh veggies and fruits, plus lots of good exercise. The variety of fresh stuff is limited now making it harder to stick to my plan, plus the weather is cooler. I want heavier foods now.

I think we have a natural, in-born tendency to put on a few pounds before winter sets in. Pack on some fat to keep us warm and all through the bitter cold of winter and against the possibility of running out of food before spring. Kinda like bears preparing to hibernate.

I'm continuing my exercise program and watching what I eat like a hawk. My local newspaper does a Holiday challenge like laylamcb describes. I will be following along with it, too.

Waving my hand wildly~ Temps drop and I'm in the mood for cooking and baking. Then Halloween hits and I'm into my once a year fix of candy bars. Next stop, Thanksgiving, Christmas and then the need to get ready for spring.

We need a support group for seasonal eating disorders.

(Pie...I'm ready for pies.)

Actually, homemade sugar cookies in shapes of leaves & pumpkins are beginning to call me. This morning my 6 yo got out one of the cookie cutters we have. It's tradition to make these cookie cutter cookies in Oct. Nov. & Dec. in our family. I need to say no, but it's so much fun for the kids. If only I didn't like them so much myself. Maybe I can talk myself out of making so many muffins for supper. That is really a downfall for me. Jacqui

Definitely! So far this fall I've made an apple pie, chocolate chip cookies, three pans of brownies, two cakes, blueberry muffins, cinnamon raisin scones, and just this morning I made a coffee cake! I am really in the baking mood. And I keep gaining weight!:confused: I really need to start exercising again and cut back on the sweets!

I've already baked a double batch of pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and a double batch of chocolate topped peanut butter bars. I've cooked a beef roast complete with mashed potatoes, squash, peas, and beef gravy made with Merlot. I've broken out the chowder and creamy soup recipes more than once. Yup, tis the season.

My kids look forward to this time of year. They adore stew and pot roast and home-baked goodies. I have given up eating breakfast and take only a Kashi bar to work with me for lunch. If I didn't watch it during the day I'd be in big, big trouble...:001_huh: