Menu

1950's day in kindergarten - how can I make this happen without buying anything?

kentuckymom

Next Monday my daughter's school is celebrating the 50th day of kindergarten with 1950's day. Kids are encouraged to dress in 1950's style. How can I make this happen without buying new clothes? My daughter has a huge dress up box but nothing that I would consider 1950's-like.

Does she have a white blouse? What about a plain colored skirt or a plaid skirt? Giving the white blouse a curvy collar instead of a pointy one seems pretty 50's. You could put a felt or even a paper poodle on a skirt. Or if you have some scrap fabric and a skirt maybe you could make a little pinafore.

The hair is a little key as well. High pigtails on both sides. Cute plastic barrettes.

If she has a plain colored skirt that is kind of full, buy some pink and white felt squares and make a poodle that you can quick whip stitch onto the skirt. A simple button down, ankle socks or taller white socks rolled down, high ponytail, and tie a narrow scarf or piece of fabric around her ponytail holder.

The teacher did make it clear that improvising something very simple was fine and about 1/3 of the kids in the class are on free lunch, so I'm thinking those parents won't go out and buy elaborate costumes. I really like the idea of whipstitching a felt poodle onto a skirt, but I'd have to buy a skirt because DD owns one skirt total, the one I bought earlier this month for her Supergirl costume, and it's way too short to turn into a poodle skirt. She owns a lot of dresses, but isn't a big fan of skirts. I think we'll hit the consignment store this weekend and try to find some things she'd wear again. Thanks for the ideas!

• Like 1

My grandmas wore blouses and long skirts or shirt dresses.

My aunts (toddlers in the 50's) wore elastic waisted skirts that were knee length or a little shorter, blouses, and white socks with Mary Jane type shoes.

I know poodle skirts are what the 50s are known for, but they didn't own one. You could make a simple circle skirt it you have time. Here's an easy version: http://www.madeeveryday.com/2008/07/tutorial-the-circle-skirt.html/

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1950skidsfashion.html was helpful to me when my lads were that young. Most parents here dont spend anything and their child wont participate if the teacher doesnt give any costume ideas..white tshirt and jeans, or a plaid shirt and jeans is what boys will wear, then put gel in their hair similar to photo of perhaps grandpa as a young un in that era. Gals, A 1959 pedal pusher outfit or the earlier denim jeans with a plaid blouse might be easy to come up with, compared to a skirt or dress. Loafers for shoes...ask around, someone that goes to a school that requires uniforms may have a pair to lend.

Edited by Heigh Ho

Maybe even some fake glasses if you can find 50s style or make some out of cardstock and/or construction paper. She could wear them around her neck on a string if she didn't want to put them on her face.

It would have to be a breakaway chain...otherwise its a safety hazard and wont be allowed as its too easy to get caught on classroom furniture and playground equipment.

It would have to be a breakaway chain...otherwise its a safety hazard and wont be allowed as its too easy to get caught on classroom furniture and playground equipment.

I was thinking of a piece of yarn, which I figured was something used in lots of K classrooms. But I hadn't thought about it getting caught on items or actually being worn on the playground. Well the OP could make the glasses without the string and then the child could just wear them briefly.

You all have my permission to have a 1950's day in your own homes :). So we stopped by the consignment store after school today and came out with a new fancy dress, a cardigan, and a big matching bow. She preferred the dress to me making a poodle skirt, and she can wear the dress to church, whereas she probably would never wear the skirt again. This is what it looks like. I'm not sure how 1950's accurate it is, but it's really cute and definitely not what a girl would wear to school in 2016.

14708319_1227682360606780_7286149866762514705856_1227682387273444_76779333046268

• Like 7