Menu

One Thousand and One Nights...Wowza!!

Excelsior! Academy

I have seen this book listed on many recommended book lists.  After picking up a copy from the library to pre-read before handing it to my kiddos and purchasing; I'm glad I did!  Apparently, I was unaware of the details of the story!  It is graphic... and the language!   :eek:

Eta:  The author of the version to which I am referring is Al-Shaykh, Hanan.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
  • Like 4

There are plenty of editions with selected stories that are suitable for children. 

Some stories are vital for cultural literacy.

ETA: We have a very beautifully illustrated version of the most famous stories, definitely appropriate for kids.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

There are plenty of editions with selected stories that are suitable for children. 

Some stories are vital for cultural literacy.

ETA: We have a very beautifully illustrated version of the most famous stories, definitely appropriate for kids.

This one is decidedly not!   :blushing:   Would you mind sharing the author?

This one is decidedly not!   :blushing:   Would you mind sharing the author?

I love this one, for the illustrations:

https://www.amazon.com/Tenggrens-Golden-Tales-Arabian-Nights/dp/037582636X/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1

If you google :Arabian nights for children", you find a multitude of options.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

Thanks for posting.  My oldest was wanting to read that with me after we finish The Mabinogion (not sure how I got roped into reading that book, either - it's weird!).  Now I know what versions to look for!  

My daughter and I read the first book of the Mabinogion. She is reading The Once and Future King and parts of other Arthur stories, so we were just getting a feel of the Mabinogion. I think she would agree that it is weird.

My daughter and I read the first book of the Mabinogion. She is reading The Once and Future King and parts of other Arthur stories, so we were just getting a feel of the Mabinogion. I think she would agree that it is weird.

That's a coincidence!  She's also reading The Once and Future King.  That's another book that probably needs to come with a warning.  (Lol)  I told her that if she wants to stop after Book II, I was ok with it.  There's supposed to be a bad scene where they kill an animal (I don't want to spoil it, in case you were going to read it), but I'm not sure if that's in Book II or Book III...but I warned her about it, because it might be a little much for her (she works with horses and loves animals).

We have three books going right now:  The Once and Future King, The Mabinogion and Eagle of the Ninth (which is turning out to be an awesome book - we were really enjoying the battle scene).

That's a coincidence!  She's also reading The Once and Future King.  That's another book that probably needs to come with a warning.  (Lol)  I told her that if she wants to stop after Book II, I was ok with it.  There's supposed to be a bad scene where they kill an animal (I don't want to spoil it, in case you were going to read it), but I'm not sure if that's in Book II or Book III...but I warned her about it, because it might be a little much for her (she works with horses and loves animals).

We have three books going right now:  The Once and Future King, The Mabinogion and Eagle of the Ninth (which is turning out to be an awesome book - we were really enjoying the battle scene).

We read the  Once and Future King in 7th grade -- but only the first book. I, of course, being a fast reader and enjoying the book, sped up and read the entire thing.

• Like 1

I can remember wondering why if the stories were supposed to last for 1001 nights we always heard the same handful. Then in college I had to read an unabridged version for my Great Works course and realized the answer! :blushing: :lol:

So I never read the unabridged version (or given it much thought). 

I'm guessing from the blush it isn't because each story lasts a few weeks. 

We read the  Once and Future King in 7th grade -- but only the first book. I, of course, being a fast reader and enjoying the book, sped up and read the entire thing.

So...how bad is Books 3 and 4?  OK for early high school?  I think AO has them stopping after Book 2.

Yeah, though even some retellings....

I read an Arabian Nights story in a myths and legends anthology for children, forget the title, about the princess who doesn't want to marry the prince. But then the prince sneaks into her garden, forces her to kiss him, and then the princess falls in love with him and all her handmaidens are all "Oh, he's such a handsome prince! Of course you two should get married!"  :huh:  No way am I reading that story to my sons. Nuh uh.

I was so disturbed I went and looked up the story on the internet, and learned that the original was worse, way way worse.  :ohmy:

I'm a quick reader, so I try to pre-read everything now. Everything. Even if it's in the children's section of the library.

• Like 1