Menu

dessert contest with a small group? how to make it work

Dynamite5

I'm helping to plan a dessert contest that will be part of a chili supper at someone's home.  This is a fundraiser and couples are invited.  We've done food contests with this group before, but not dessert.  I'm not getting much feedback from the planning group and I'm not sure how to make this work.  

One suggestion was to have 3 categories: pies, cakes, and cookies.  But we are thinking that we would auction off the desserts after the judging--how do you judge a pie and then sell it?  

Another idea was to have only cupcakes as an option.  If everyone bought a dozen, we could use 3 for judging and sell 9.  

I usually have fun with this sort of thing, but I will admit that I'm a bit stumped.  Does the hive have any ideas?

Could you do a silent auction? Then you could either do the judging after the bidding had closed, or let the highest bid equal the winner.

Ok, if the highest bid item wins the contest, I understand.  But if you judge after the bidding has closed, doesn't that mean cutting into someone's (newly bought) pie or cake?  That's the part I'm not able to work out in my head.

I'm helping to plan a dessert contest that will be part of a chili supper at someone's home.  This is a fundraiser and couples are invited.  We've done food contests with this group before, but not dessert.  I'm not getting much feedback from the planning group and I'm not sure how to make this work.  

One suggestion was to have 3 categories: pies, cakes, and cookies.  But we are thinking that we would auction off the desserts after the judging--how do you judge a pie and then sell it?  

Another idea was to have only cupcakes as an option.  If everyone bought a dozen, we could use 3 for judging and sell 9.  

I usually have fun with this sort of thing, but I will admit that I'm a bit stumped.  Does the hive have any ideas?

They could make two, with one being a smaller "tasting" version. 

• Like 1

What size is this group?  In my head a small group is 3-4 couples and I just can't see how having 3 categories with only 4 entries would work or even an auction for that few people.  I'm guessing your group is a bit larger than what I'm envisioning.

The other option is that they would have to bring some additional product for taste testing in addition to the product that is being auctioned off.

Yeah, like on cake wars.  They make their huge cake, but then they also have a cake to taste that they serve to the judges.

I also think that you should do all the same category, though.  I'm too linear to be content with cupcakes winning over pie or vice versa.  There's no comparison!  I'm so uptight, I'd probably even want them all to be a fruit pie, or some other category, for fair comparison.  Also, how can you possibly make it fair if one of the judges doesn't even LIKE fruit pie, if all the desserts aren't fruit pie.  Know what I mean?  Oh, the mental gymnastics and pain I am now experiencing!  

But, this isn't about me.  Sorry.

Version to sell.  Tasting version.  It'll be perfect.

Might I also suggest a blind judging?  

LOL!!  Mental anguish--you and me both!  

What size is this group?  In my head a small group is 3-4 couples and I just can't see how having 3 categories with only 4 entries would work or even an auction for that few people.  I'm guessing your group is a bit larger than what I'm envisioning.

The other option is that they would have to bring some additional product for taste testing in addition to the product that is being auctioned off.

Yes, you are right about my choice of the term small group.  This group is closer to 20 couples, so 40 people.  It's a fundraiser, so we will charge for dinner and then have fun with the desserts, but we want to auction them off to make more money.

The only time I was part of a dessert contest was as part of a cookie exchange. We were to bring one dozen for the contest part (we had fewer than 12 people attending) and . . . (can't remember how many) dozen for the exchange part. Each person could eat one of each cookie and then vote for their favorite. I think there were prizes for taste and appearance.

I would probably just say it has to be individual (ETA: multiple single-serving) items. That still allows a lot of variety (cookies, cupcakes, brownies, mini/individual versions of other things like tarts, and so on), while allowing for judges to taste without cutting into what will be auctioned off.

Edited by MASHomeschooler
  • Like 1

You could have a jar by each entry and people vote for the best looking by donating to the jar of their favorite(s). Voting/donating could happen during the time before dinner and then the desserts could be served instead of taken home.

"Which dessert is tempting you the most? Vote for your favorite by generously donating to your favorite dessert's jar! The dessert that raises the most money wins bragging rights until next time. Vote early, vote often!"

If I organized this I'd come prepared to donate a decent amount to each jar so no one is left out.

You could also have a simple "trophy" that gets given back each year if you wanted. Maybe something silly or a distinctive cake plate (keep the box) or a golden cake/pie serving piece.

Eta:. I'm picturing serving little bites so people can try several things. Baker's should be encouraged to make enough for a bit for everyone.

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 2

Will people know the categories in advance? Because someone might make a dessert that doesn't fall in any of those categories (ie. rice krispie treats, cobbler — what would that be?, brownies...)

I like the idea of money for best looking, but item can still be sold.

I would hate to attend and not get to try the dessert I looked at all night LOL Guess that would just be encouragement for me to buy something? But what if I spent my money on the donation jar and got outbid? I guess I'd have to pick up dessert on the way home! :laugh:

Will people know the categories in advance? Because someone might make a dessert that doesn't fall in any of those categories (ie. rice krispie treats, cobbler — what would that be?, brownies...)

I like the idea of money for best looking, but item can still be sold.

I would hate to attend and not get to try the dessert I looked at all night LOL Guess that would just be encouragement for me to buy something? But what if I spent my money on the donation jar and got outbid? I guess I'd have to pick up dessert on the way home! :laugh:

I'd like to try my favorite too! That's why I suggested the jar thing and serving the desserts...I'm imagining small bites so people could try several. Kind of like samples at Costco or those fancy little tasting spoons.

• Like 1

Yes, you are right about my choice of the term small group.  This group is closer to 20 couples, so 40 people.  It's a fundraiser, so we will charge for dinner and then have fun with the desserts, but we want to auction them off to make more money.

If it is partly for fun, how about cutting up all the desserts, then auctioning a piece of dessert for.... and whatever the next to highest winning big is, the top X people can purchase their dessert for that much.

Then do the same for the next dessert. Etc.  But make sure people know that dessert is not included in their ticket prices.