Menu

Two sciences at the same time?

We had planned to do biology over the summer as a sort of accelerated summer course. It is offered through the public school and of course, through colleges, as a summer course. So I think it is just fine to do a class in an accelerated fashion as a summer course.

We started Science Shepherd at end of May. By August, he had only done 6 chapters. We switched to the DragonFly book. He has done 1-2 more chapters. 

He pretty much just tells me he hates science. I was thinking that going ahead and ordering and then starting chemistry might perk him up. He just moans about it and says "but I just want to do biology now." No, he does not. He wanted to skip biology completely and says this because he wants to continue to have no biology. Unfortunately, I do not have tests or anything to biology. I am basically having him do a chapter. I try to get him to do some experiments or hands on things. And I have him take notes, but do not critique them. And I have him present a summary of what he learned at the end of each chapter. 

I am thinking of ordering the chemistry and moving forward with that and basically table biology. We can do biology as we have time. And we can come back to it later if we want. For the record, he is actually working on human anatomy and physiology through his karate studies too. 

I think when he says he wants to stay with biology, what he really means is, he wants to stay with a class where he feels like he is getting away with doing nothing. He is actually putting in great effort in the rest of his classes. Here is what he has on his plate right now...

World History/lit/composition outsourced for 2 credits. Takes about 2 hrs a day, is meant to anyway. I am unsure if he even has to put in that amount of time. He enjoys the class though and reads extra on his own on the topics. 

Forester's Algebra 2...following a syllabus, so one lesson a day.

Latin has been completed so no longer doing Latin

Piano- spends hours every day on this as he loves it. He also researches history of music on his own and various time periods and artists and such. 

Karate-preparing for black belt test, go to gym 6+ times a week.

Painting-this has currently gone by the wayside

Leadership class-this just started. It is two times a week and I do not know how much of a time commitment outside of school. 

What do you think? Add in chemistry-he really needs to be doing something more, or don't add in chemistry-he is doing enough, give him more time to wallow in biology, or add in chemistry-it might perk up his view toward science.

• Like 1

It makes no sense to me to do TWO scienes for a student who is slacking at doing the work for even ONE science.

I would focus on one science with strong supervision to get.it.done, if needed taking double time to get through it.

THEN I would attack the next science.

I would not allow "wallowing". But I also do not see what tabling biology would accomplish other than sending him the message that if he complains and drags his feet long enogh he gets out of having to do it.

At that age, I required one hour per core subject, i.e. 5 hours,. of academic work daily. Any musical, athletic, extacurricular pursuits are not included in this time.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 10

It makes no sense to me to do TWO scienes for a student who is slacking at doing the work for even ONE science.

I would focus on one science with strong supervision to get.it.done, if needed taking double time to get through it.

THEN I would attack the next science.

I would not allow "wallowing". But I also do not see what tabling biology would accomplish other than sending him the message that if he complains and drags his feet long enogh he gets out of having to do it.

At that age, I required one hour per core subject, i.e. 5 hours,. of academic work daily. Any musical, athletic, extacurricular pursuits are not included in this time.

My feeling was that since I plan to order a program with a syllabus and tests and all for chemistry, it would be easier to implement and not allow wallowing. Then we can go back to biology later, and that biology might be easier to understand after chemistry.

Also..do you have a blog? You have a lot of interesting things you do and I would love to read more about it. LOL..it would save me asking you over and over again what you used for this that and the other. 

My feeling was that since I plan to order a program with a syllabus and tests and all for chemistry, it would be easier to implement and not allow wallowing. Then we can go back to biology later, and that biology might be easier to understand after chemistry.

Also..do you have a blog? You have a lot of interesting things you do and I would love to read more about it. LOL..it would save me asking you over and over again what you used for this that and the other. 

No, I don't have a blog. Just ask :)

If you go back to bio later, the saga will begin all over again. If you feel the lack of a syllabus and tests contributes to his slacking, make a syllabus and write a few tests. Or find some online and steal.

• Like 3

We did two weeks of unscheduled science and all that got done was labs and some reading. So I switch to Thinkwell Chem homeschool version for accountability. That way I know we cover a minimum instead of going on rabbit trails on favorite topics and missing out other topics. We are using the 37 week plan I link below. I am using Labpaq biology kit and chemistry kit for lab since my kids enjoy hands on and the kit has enough for two kids to do.

http://www.thinkwellhomeschool.com/pdfs/lesson-plans/APChemistryLessonPlan.pdf

For biology, you can do it as an accelerated course over summer next year or just do it after he finish Chemistry. I let my kids "drop subjects" but they have to substitute with one year's worth of another subject. So they can drop tennis for swimming, cello for flute, etc.

ETA:

You can also do a year of Anatomy and Physiology. Link to syllabus from high schools

http://www.srtx.org/SRHS/Class/86-Mr-Mendoza-Anatomy-Physiology-2016-2017

http://www.waconiahighschool.new.rschooltoday.com/page/3071

http://www2.d125.org/science/anatomy/

Edited by Arcadia

I would not drop biology. I also have a son who would rather do any science than biology. I'll be honest, if all he is doing is reading a text, I'd be wallowing too. What kind of experiments are you doing? Are you doing them together or just handing them off to him? 

What I found is that if ds had a subject that felt like pure torture, we had to do it together for it to be done well. I also did an internal survey to make sure *I* was not making the subject tedious. I don't think everything has to be fun, but there are ways to make any subject more palatable. 

Before high school biology, we had done several years of nature study. You could incorporate his painting and biology by having him do small canvas of aspects of biology. He sounds like a very hand-on active kind of student, so he might be less likely to hate biology if there was some learning aspect that he did enjoy added to the mix. Barb has done years of nature study with her children, even in high school. She has a great teaching blog on how to make it work for your household. 

It also sounds like he is doing a few classes that fit his personality better. This is when I'd have those conversations with ds. "Look, you're getting to do A and B, which are what you chose to do. Now, you just need to suck it up, buttercup, because biology is a required class."  Yes, I have used that phrase a number of times with him. 

• Like 3

I think he should stay with Biology and finish that before he begins Chemistry.  He needs Biology on his transcript or Admissions people will wonder why Biology isn't shown.  One cannot pick and choose subjects. There are a bunch of courses that Admissions people expect to see on a High School transcript. Biology is one of those courses.  My DD is finishing a course she doesn't like, that's an understatement, but she gives it her best and that's what we ask of her. To do her best on each and every course. Some subjects people love, some courses people might hate, but they all need to be given  the best shot the student can give them. My DD took Biology and now she is taking Chemistry and next she will take Physics.    GL to him!

• Like 1

I think to force two sciences on a child who doesn't like science to begin with is a mistake. What about converting general biology into two semester biology courses, each on a topic he can tolerate? For example, botany if he is interested in plants, or ecology if he is interested in the environment? It might make the biology easier to swallow. But what I would not do is allow him to bounce along with little supervision in a class he does not like. I would closely supervise that and make sure the work is done as necessary.

• Like 2

You could choose to divide biology into 2 classes - molecular biology and then 'big things', whatever is appropriate for your plan (ecology, organ systems, classification, etc).  You could do them back-to-back or put chemistry in the middle - they are so different that they really are like separate classes.  And, if by 'dragonfly biology' you mean the prentice-hall book by Miller and Levine, you probably don't have to get through the whole book.  I teach everything in the state standards for my state, which aligns pretty well with the material in the biology sequence at the community college (they do a few extra things).  We don't use anywhere near the whole book.  Biology books are often designed to accommodate several possible classes, so you could do a molecular biology unit, an ecology/evolution/classification unit, or sections on any particular type of organism that you're interested in (plants, animals, etc) - mix and match a couple that will address your needs.  It's why some of the subject tests in biology give 2 options - you can choose to focus on different topics in the area of biology. 

I would have him bite the bullet and finish biology. There are "Assessment Resources" books as well as "Study Guide" workbooks to accompany the various Miller-Levine texts. I picked up an Assessments book (used, but no writing in it) for about $40 on amazon when my boys did bio.

If your son is in 9th grade (or higher), it might help to do a reality check. Look up the local high school graduation requirements, print out a blank grid... 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th grades.... and have him fill in the academic classes he is currently doing.  Compare it to the high school's minimum requirements for graduation.  At his current rate, will he be able to graduate in four years?   (Only put the academic classes on the grid; don't let him get sidetracked talking about a bunch of extra curriculars. Those are nice, but they won't help him meet the bottom line, core requirements for a high school student.) 

If you go back to bio later, the saga will begin all over again. If you feel the lack of a syllabus and tests contributes to his slacking, make a syllabus and write a few tests. Or find some online and steal.

I call it "borrow"   :mellow:

Edited by MarkT