Menu

what economics program have you used?

FWIW, my kids and I disliked Economics for Everybody and stopped about halfway through.  We used the lectures from Great Courses, Thomas Sowell's book Basic Economics, and readings from The Library of Economics and Liberty and some others I can't remember right now.   We looked for news articles dealing with economics topics too. 

• Like 2

Looking at the same thing as you, OP.  :lurk5:

I have a short (ok, long) list of books from threads on here & what I have on hand plus some sort of economics contest thing (hope I bookmarked it!), but also looking at a spring Macroeconomics course at the local college. Not sure they'd take dd as she's too young for their usual dual enrollment (through the local school) program. So, I'm going to  :bigear: to this thread.

FWIW, my kids and I disliked Economics for Everybody and stopped about halfway through.  We used the lectures from Great Courses, Thomas Sowell's book Basic Economics, and readings from The Library of Economics and Liberty and some others I can't remember right now.   We looked for news articles dealing with economics topics too. 

I love Thomas Sowell! If political threads were allowed here, I would post his name on a such a thread about an event involving casting ballots in November., and I would include the words "write in" in such a post.  :coolgleamA:

• Like 2

We used the Teaching Company lecture series by Timothy Taylor, which covers all of the Micro and Macro Economics topics. We also used the lectures to practice note-taking and studying from notes, as I created a short quiz for each lecture. Pretty dry, but it got the job done with a minimum of effort. And I did like that he shows how connected a nation's economic policies are with international events.

We also did the Dave Ramsey Foundations in Personal Finance series, plus the Larry Burkett Money Matters For Teens personal finance workbook, and a short book on money, both of which were more engaging. (We did the Dave Ramsey back about 2010, before all of the stuff came out about his weird controlling management of his company -- which now makes me extremely uncomfortable to recommend his stuff, although I think there the actual materials are fine with some solid conservative money management and monetary principles.)

Adding up all of that together, it was still light time-wise from our typical credits, but since it covered all of the topics (plus an added focus on personal finance), and because this was just a box-checking credit and not a topic of high interest to DSs, I called it good and we moved on. ;)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

We used Dave Ramsey course as a personal finance course.

I have used Abeka's Economics course.

A couple of my children have been to the seminars put on by Greg Rhemke for economics as it relates to debate topics.   

http://www.economicthinking.org

We have watched the John Stossel's economic videos that come out yearly.

http://stosselintheclassroom.org/economics/

I am thinking about adding  Money, Greed and God by Jay Richards to the mix.

Econ is probably my least favorite subject to teach.  So, I'm probably not the best one to ask.  But, here goes......

Oldest dd chose BJU's econ course with the student worktext.  She liked it and seemed to retain quite a bit. 

Youngest dd chose Abeka's econ course.  It is straight forward, easy to follow, and rather enjoyable to read

We also have Notgrass Econ.  I used some of that text as support materials for our BJU US History.  I'm not chosing to use it for Econ

My plan was going to be to use Thomas Sowell's Economics book alongside Timothy Tayor's Great Course videos, however, my son is doing AP economics through PA homeschoolers which uses this free online textbook with Timothy Taylor's Great Course vdeos:

http://2012books.lardbucket.org/books/economics-principles-v1.0/index.html

• Like 1

My plan was going to be to use Thomas Sowell's Economics book alongside Timothy Tayor's Great Course videos, however, my son is doing AP economics through PA homeschoolers which uses this free online textbook with Timothy Taylor's Great Course vdeos:

http://2012books.lardbucket.org/books/economics-principles-v1.0/index.html

Do you know if there are any answer keys to the review and practice problems for this book?

I love Thomas Sowell! If political threads were allowed here, I would post his name on a such a thread about an event involving casting ballots in November., and I would include the words "write in" in such a post.  :coolgleamA:

Me too!  I *adore* that man. Seriously. My husband and I have joked that he is my "celebrity crush".  :rofl:  I have to admit anytime I hear his name my heart skips a beat because I fear he has died (he is well into his 80s). Thankfully he is still chugging along  :thumbup: 

His Basic Economics text is ***fabulous***. I knew nothing about economics, but one day my DH bought me that book (I didn't even know who Sowell was at that point), and I read the first 60+ pages without setting it down once. His writing style is incredibly clear, captivating, logical, and humble. I learned SO much from his text.

I even just bought it on audiobook, with the intention of listening to it with my DS10 next summer (it is not a book for kids by any stretch, but DS asks a lot of economics questions so I think he would enjoy it).

:patriot: Sowell For Ummm.......... :leaving:(nevermind) 

• Like 1

Me too!  I *adore* that man. Seriously. My husband and I have joked that he is my "celebrity crush".  :rofl:  I have to admit anytime I hear his name my heart skips a beat because I fear he has died (he is well into his 80s). Thankfully he is still chugging along  :thumbup:

His Basic Economics text is ***fabulous***. I knew nothing about economics, but one day my DH bought me that book (I didn't even know who Sowell was at that point), and I read the first 60+ pages without setting it down once. His writing style is incredibly clear, captivating, logical, and humble. I learned SO much from his text.

I even just bought it on audiobook, with the intention of listening to it with my DS10 next summer (it is not a book for kids by any stretch, but DS asks a lot of economics questions so I think he would enjoy it).

:patriot: Sowell For Ummm.......... :leaving:(nevermind) 

I received a copy of this in a box of materials and wondered about it for high school/study for CLEP in macroeconomics. I am rather clueless about which authors have which approach in econ---is he considered mainstream, very conservative, or very liberal (if conservative/liberal are even terms used about economics)? Do you know of materials online to use with the book? This would be for self-study for my daughter, and we would definitely need a solutions manual/answer key.

My other option at the moment (also received free) is Principles of Economics by Rittenberg and Tregarthen. Similar question as to whether they are mainstream or lean heavily left or right and whether anyone knows of online materials with answers to use with this.

I'm looking for mainstream and secular.

Edited by KarenNC

I received a copy of this in a box of materials and wondered about it for high school/study for CLEP in macroeconomics. I am rather clueless about which authors have which approach in econ---is he considered mainstream, very conservative, or very liberal (if conservative/liberal are even terms used about economics)? Do you know of materials online to use with the book? This would be for self-study for my daughter, and we would definitely need a solutions manual/answer key.

My other option at the moment (also received free) is Principles of Economics by Rittenberg and Tregarthen. Similar question as to whether they are mainstream or lean heavily left or right and whether anyone knows of online materials with answers to use with this.

I'm looking for mainstream and secular.

Sowell is a free marketer, in a similar vein as Friedman and Hayek. He is not a Keynesian (leftist) but there are lots of folks further right than he is.

One thing I like about his writing is his extensive use of real world examples, and his direct comments on (and answers to) Keynesian ideas. Brilliant stuff.

I'm doing AP Micro and Macroeconomics this year.  Most of the sample syllabuses used the Student Resource Manuals from CEE.  I got those and the teacher manuals and am quite pleased.  I'm using a college text by McConnell as a reference, but the CEE materials are doing the main work.

I was doing the Gen iRevolutions online game with my 8th grader and thought it was good quality stuff.

The Economics in Action books seem to be well regarded too.  http://store.councilforeconed.org/t/categories/high-school/s/ascend_by_name

We've settled on "Macroeconomics in Context, 2nd ed" by Nena Goodwin, et al. from Tufts. They have a free student study guide online, including self-tests. I sent a request for access to the instructor materials (instructor manual, with answers to problems and exercises in the text, a test bank, test generator, etc) and they granted me access! Very nice to work with. The paperback text itself is only $60 or ebook for $40 (and look online for promo codes from Routledge, I found one for half off). I really liked that it frames economics in terms of current social situations, appears to be mainstream, is secular, and in the intro gives sample course outlines if you want to customize the focus of the class or need to trim any of the material (we're going to do the base econ, base macro econ, and poverty/inequality/social justice sections, will add in ecological and more global if we have time). They also offer microecon.

http://www.ase.tufts.edu/gdae/publications/textbooks/macroeconomics.html

I'm also going to have my daughter watch the Crash Course economics videos (intro through income/wealth inequality) as an introduction, then after the course, we'll try a practice CLEP  to see if she's ready for that.