Menu

Spelling program-inexpensive and non consumable

Gwenny

Does anyone know of a spelling program that is inexpensive and can be used over several years. What I'm looking for is one that also teaches the meanings of the roots and suffixes (like pre- means before). Ideally, this book would cheap, non consumable, and span several years of study.

Is this asking too much?

Gwen

I use Sequential Spelling this way. The lists start with root words and then add prefixes and suffixes so it really shows well the patterns of spelling. It doesn't include the meanings of the prefixes and suffixes, but I pretty much know them all, so I tend to just tell the kids as we're doing the lessons.

Spelling Power.

It is for 3rd grade (you can use it earlier, but differently) to adult.

It is totally nonconsumable.

You should be able to check it out at your library to see if you like it before buying it.

I bought it new last spring - it was $60 (I think), but I have 3 kids and shouldn't have to buy another spelling program.

It is very inexpensive (around $20) and spans grades 1-8.

It has Greek and Latin lists with the root words and prefixes, definitions and derivatives.

It also has a section on dictionary skills, grammar skills, words by category, and several other sections.

I own it and use it and like the way the spelling words are taught in families. I recommend it. :)

Have you looked at Spelling Power? I don't know if it deals with roots, but it can be used for a long time, is relatively inexpensive (because you can use it for many years, and because it's pretty easy to find used, imo), and it's non-consumable.

:iagree:, i paid $15 at a used book sale moons ago. I'm using it on kid 3 and will on kid 4 in another year.:iagree:

You could try Spelling Plus. It is inexpensive and spans from K-6th grade. They sell a dictation book that includes word histories, roots, and meanings that is nice. Spelling Plus is very easy to use. I am discovering that dictation is an extremely effective method to teach spelling. You can find Spelling Plus at this website: www.susancanthony.com

All About Spelling.

I just started the program and like it so far.

I used Spelling Power last year. We were only in second grade so I adapted it the way they said to. It just wasn't structured enough for me. I needed something more clear. It was fun though. They give you great hands-on ideas that AAS does not. I will use those ideas this year to supplement AAS.

These are the things that I gleaned from AAS that I did not learn from the extremely long teachers manual in Spelling Power:

1. Review, Review, Review. DAILY review a few words from past lesson. Daily review one or two past rules.

2. Do not add words from another spelling rule until you have mastered the rule you are working on. Just add more practice words using the same rule until you feel comfortable that they know the rule.

That's all I can think of right now. It probably seems like common sense. I may be the only person who didn't like Spelling Power. I have often wondered if I have a little ADD going on because I need things more structured. I am extremely unstructured, so I need structure to make sure it gets done. That is why I like AAS.

I'm going to try McGuffey's Electic Spelling book. $9.95. http://www.amazon.com/McGuffeys-Eclectic-Spelling-William-McGuffey/dp/0471289434/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224034479&sr=8-2 It's old-fashioned, but inexpensive and will span many, many years. The lessons are based on phonics and other conventional rules.

Here's a helpful website for how one mom uses the spelling book with her children: http://mrshappyhousewife.com/homesch...ling-book.html

Looks like lots of good options out there! Good luck!