Menu

Audiobooks - Need help.

Liz CA

I would like to make use of audiobooks while in the car more often but I don't have an iphone or a Kindle. Buying CDs is expensive. I've exhausted the library options (nearly).

Can I download audiobooks on my android with the kindle app? Can I do anything with iTunes without any devices starting with "i"?

:)

Yup, I am that far behind the rest of the world.

My library has online e-book and audiobook checkout. I use the Overdrive app on my iPhone and DD uses the same app on her Android phone. I log onto my library's web site to check out the books, but you can also do it from the app. Then download the books onto your device and listen. It is very easy.

If you prefer to buy audiobooks, Audible has a very easy to use Android app.

• Like 1

Does your car have a tape deck? You can buy an inexpensive doohickey which has a tape at one end and a plug for your phone's audio out at the other end. You can use the car's speakers that way, which is nice for listening over road noise and in all the seats.

• Like 2

Android devices would have all of the major apps, although nothing with an i in front of it!

The Kindle app doesn't support audiobooks. You would want Audible to buy audiobooks, and whatever your library uses to borrow audiobooks (look on their website, they probably have a growing supply of eAudiobooks) - Overdrive and BorrowBox are two examples. For free classics, I use something called FreeAudiobooks I think but there are a number of apps that all tap into the Librivox free audiobook selection. I think there are more details on the Librivox website (you can also burn CDs of Librivox books).

• Like 1

Where would you be getting the audiobooks?

I use the audible app for my purchased audiobooks, and overdrive for library digital audiobooks. (I use both apps on my iPhone, but I assume their android versions are equally as user friendly.)

I have Amazon Prime, I may consider subscribing to audible and the library has one of those audiobook options as well.

Does your car have a tape deck? You can buy an inexpensive doohickey which has a tape at one end and a plug for your phone's audio out at the other end. You can use the car's speakers that way, which is nice for listening over road noise and in all the seats.

I have a CD player only. When dh and I get back from the gym, I will look at all the suggestions and download something to my android.

I will probably start with a place that offers a free audiobook so I can test that it works okay and then check into Recorded Books. I just found out they have an audiobook download as well - they do charge something.

There's a Bluetooth option you play via a radio station. My car only has CD so I bought this one. You plug it into your charger and it magically plays.

• Like 2

I have Amazon Prime, I may consider subscribing to audible and the library has one of those audiobook options as well.

I have a CD player only. When dh and I get back from the gym, I will look at all the suggestions and download something to my android.

I will probably start with a place that offers a free audiobook so I can test that it works okay and then check into Recorded Books. I just found out they have an audiobook download as well - they do charge something.

You can also burn downloaded audio books to CD, depending on the DRM (digital rights management) they have on them. Audible allows this, although I've never done it. Many others do too.

As posters already said, you can use both the Audible and the Overdrive (or whatever your library uses) apps. I will just add that you don't need a paid Audible subscription. You need an account, but that's free. You can buy any Audible book you want without a subscription, and there are many inexpensive books (especially classics). With a subscription you get credits for free books. How many credits you get depends on your membership level. If you would only buy a book from Audible now and then, just get a free account and buy what you want. If you think you'll buy at least one a month and if the books you buy will cost more than the monthly membership fee, only then should you consider a paid account. You can also start and stop your paid account repeatedly.. 

I just subscribed to audible earlier this summer.  DH installed iTunes on my laptop, following these instructions, I think.  Or these. I used iTunes on my windows PC laptop to burn them to CD, which played just fine in my ancient car CD player, which is so finicky it won't play CDs from the library because of their security bar code.  (We also don't own iAnythings.)

Do you lose your credits when you do? I'd love to stop mine until I use up all my credits.

Yes, you do. If you have a bunch of credits you'd need to use them before you stop your subscription. I never have more than 2 at a time (I have the lowest level that only earns one a month), so it's easy for me.

• Like 1