Menu

Movies for boys

My dh thinks ds is a tad too enamored of tall the girl movies we have in the house for our older girls - Ice Princess, Barbie movies, etc. He mentioned "football" movies, but I know what he means are movies with boy themes, or even neutral themes just not girl themes. We already on Facing the Giants.

DS is only 7. I'm ok with some PG movies, my big issues are s*xual things and language. (The bachelor party is why I won't let him see Fantastic 4, Rise of the Silver Surfer.)

Thanks!

My dh thinks ds is a tad too enamored of tall the girl movies we have in the house for our older girls - Ice Princess, Barbie movies, etc. He mentioned "football" movies, but I know what he means are movies with boy themes, or even neutral themes just not girl themes. We already on Facing the Giants.

DS is only 7. I'm ok with some PG movies, my big issues are s*xual things and language. (The bachelor party is why I won't let him see Fantastic 4, Rise of the Silver Surfer.)

Thanks!

The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Spiderman 1,2, & 3

Star Wars

The Incredibles

Cars

Night at the Museum

Princess Bride

An original Batman movie: 1960-something?

Everyone's Hero

Arthur and the Invisibles

I haven't seen the Bionicle movies posted yet. When ds had his lego/bionicle slumber party and the boys set down for the 3 bionicle movies (at age 7 or 8) you'd think they had died and gone to heaven - These boys were so excited to watch these movies!!

Certain of the Star Wars movies are also watched by the boys in this home.

And the boys also like to watch Looney Tunes (we have one of those DVD collections).

I'm quite surprised at some of the movies people here are suggesting in light of the fact that your son is only seven. Many of them are films I've enjoyed, but as far as I'm concerned, they can wait until a child is beyond this age. Then they have something in store for early adolescence. At this point, though, I'd opt for Disney oldies-but-goodies such as Swiss Family Robinson or These Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines. There are a plethora of wonderful animal movies available, too, such as Ring of Bright Water, Born Free, Duma, and Two Brothers. If you're comfortable with The Rookie (starring Dennis Quaid), that has a baseball theme. Finally, this might not go over well with all children, but my boys have watched many foreign films that don't necessarily require reading the subtitles. That is, there isn't a huge amount of dialogue, and the story can be understood simply by watching, and perhaps a bit of explanation from someone older. The Way Home (Korean) and Children of Heaven (Iranian) are two examples; these movies are so good. Chariots of Fire is another that my third son absolutely loved last year (he was seven when he watched it).

I'm quite surprised at some of the movies people here are suggesting in light of the fact that your son is only seven. Many of them are films I've enjoyed, but as far as I'm concerned, they can wait until a child is beyond this age. Then they have something in store for early adolescence.

My son loved the original version of *Cheaper by the Dozen*, *The Waltons* series, *The Road to Avonlea*and *Wind in the Willows*.

My son loved the original version of *Cheaper by the Dozen*, *The Waltons* series, *The Road to Avonlea*and *Wind in the Willows*.

All of those are great suggestions. My guys enjoy The Waltons, and my 8 year old in particular really likes Little House on the Praire (first few seasons). I didn't mention that in my reply, though, because it sounds like the dad is looking for something else.

a sequel that's not as good, but still good. (What a sentence :rolleyes:) It's Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies. However I will give you a warning. The sequel has an Italian bachelor who uses his hands to configure what he'd like his future wife to look at. (hint: she's not deficient in the *book* department :D) He also looks a lot - at well clothed women. It is rated G though.

I have three boys, they have enjoyed:

Walt Disney's Jungle Book

The Iron Giant

The Sword In the Stone

The Indian In the Cupboard

The Wind in the Willows

Where the Red Fern Grows

Trasure Island

Lost in the Barrens

Keeping the Promise

Summer of the Monkeys

E.T.

Free Willy

Excellent movies......... how about The Dark Crystal; Willow!!! Great movies!

Millions

Second Hand Lions

The Bridge to Terrabithia (sorry, I am not sure of the spelling)

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

Laurel and Hardy films

Ring of Bright Water (although a very sad ending)

The old BBC series of 'Swallows and Amazons'