Menu

Toys for teen skin pickers?

Joker

Any recommendations for sites or specific fidget toys/items that help stop this? Youngest has OCD and is doing therapy but the skin picking is getting worse and starting to bother her because of how it looks. She just started high school and really wants to stop, which I think is making it worse. 

So, I'm looking online for something to help and I'm overwhelmed at all that is out there. She mostly picks at fingers, hands, and face. Can you guys help me narrow it down?

I wonder if something like a beaded necklace that she could fidget with would help?  I'm also listening in, because I have a dd that does this when stressed.  She won't wear a necklace other than the one she has (which isn't very fidget friendly).  Bracelets help me, especially lose cuff style or beaded ones.  I pick at my arms without even realizing it if I don't have something for my hands to do.  

• Like 1

Is the picking happening by a mirror or without one?

For hand fidgeting things like silly putty and beaded bracelets help. Face picking that happens by a mirror is a completely different animal though, and oftentimes covering up the mirror or having supervision, along with hash marks on the mirror for pick free days, helps more than other sensory diversions.

/recovered and occasionally relapsed picker

Edited by Arctic Mama

No mirror involved. Her face isn't as bad as her fingers and hands/wrists. She usually isn't even aware she's doing it but it's a lot. We can tell her to stop when we see her do it at home but when she's at school no one says anything. 

You can try a koosh ball. https://www.amazon.com/Koosh-Ball-Random-Color-Colors/dp/B0044ULMFY

My kids have trichotillomania (hair pulling) and it helped them.

She should also keep a diary where she notes when she picks and what she was feeling at the time to help identify triggers.

And whatever you do, do not become the picking police. No matter how tempted you are resist.

• Like 1

You can try a koosh ball. https://www.amazon.com/Koosh-Ball-Random-Color-Colors/dp/B0044ULMFY

My kids have trichotillomania (hair pulling) and it helped them.

She should also keep a diary where she notes when she picks and what she was feeling at the time to help identify triggers.

And whatever you do, do not become the picking police. No matter how tempted you are resist.

If there is no mirror this is a great idea, especially logging incidents to identify triggers. I forgot all about koosh balls but those and the nubby ones can also help. Headed bracelets and even band aids on one finger are still my favorite to mess with though :)

Just throwing this out there--when I took Zoloft in the past, there was a tipping point in the dosage. I upped it to get past a plateau where it stopped working as well, and I felt great mentally, but I started chewing my nails beyond what I thought was possible. I've always been a nail biter, but my fingers were just bloody nubs. Backed off the dosage and that went away. I believe it can be a side effect with several meds, so I thought I'd mention it. Good luck!

The thing that helped me most was acrylic or gel nails. Sounds weird, but the thickness of these nails prevented me from doing damage to my skin. I mostly picked my hands and nails. I don't know why, but the feeling of the nails on my nailbeds took away the urge to pick. Strange. I know.

• Like 1

The thing that helped me most was acrylic or gel nails. Sounds weird, but the thickness of these nails prevented me from doing damage to my skin. I mostly picked my hands and nails. I don't know why, but the feeling of the nails on my nailbeds took away the urge to pick. Strange. I know.

Not strange at all! I cannot pick nearly as easily with acrylic nails and I tend to chew on them a bit :o. They kind of serve multiple purposes here!

Not strange at all! I cannot pick nearly as easily with acrylic nails and I tend to chew on them a bit :o. They kind of serve multiple purposes here!

I was just thinking today I need to put on a set.  I pick my cuticles viciously.  Having nails on is very soothing, I can't pick as much (because the nails are not sharp like natural nails, they are more rounded at the ends), and I tend to pick or pull at the nails instead of my skin.

Joker, you might think of them not to keep her from picking the nails, but because it is harder to pick with the fake nails than with regular nails.

Edited by goldberry