Menu

What am I missing?

SquirrellyMama

My dd is on the high school swim team this year, and they are selling Subway cards. The cards say on the front "offers worth up to $20. They are selling them for $20. What am I missing?

If I just hand the coach a check for $40, and give back the Subway cards will I be a horrible person? I would just hand him a $40 check, and keep the cards, but I want them to understand that this fundraiser made no sense.

Why can't they sell chocolate like the choir kids? I bought a lot of chocolate when the box was in the house ;)

Kelly

Do they get a percentage of the card sale. My church sells grocery store gift cards. They get 5% of the sales. With grocery gift cards it makes sense because everyone shops so they can help the church earn a bit of money without adding to their overall budget.

Subway doesn't make much sense unless subway is a place most people eat at. So my sis in Alabama would like that fundraiser because in their small town subway is the only fast food type place they go to as a special treat once a month or so.

For me, it would be an awful fundraiser because I never eat at subway and the thought of doing so isn't exciting

Edited by hjffkj

They get a percentage of the card sales. I prefer fundraisers where the person donating gets something out of the deal, or the kids actually do something.

Their summer swim team had a swim a thon where the kids raised money, and actually had to swim for it.

If they were selling the cards for $10 or $15 I'd be all for it. It would make sense.

Kelly

A few years ago a friend was selling coupons cards for Papa Murphy's $X number of dollars off, half price, free cheese bread with purchase etc.  Anyways they were pretty good coupons, better than the regular fliers your see. Sounds like maybe what you are referring to. Anyways is this instance, the cards were free to the group so the entire money paid for the coupons was a donation to the group and then you just got coupons as a bonus.  I don't know if the group set the price or if that was the recommended sale price from Papa Murphy's.

If your group has the same deal but is setting their own price, than the someone clearly put the price too high.  If Subway set the price, then clearly they need someone new in the marketing department.

If your group has the same deal but is setting their own price, than the someone clearly put the price too high. If Subway set the price, then clearly they need someone new in the marketing department.

I looked it up, and found that most teams sell them for $10. I'm guessing the team is relying on family and friends who love their swimmers to buy them.

Kelly

I guess so. Unfortunately, to get your $20 back you have to spend more money. We'll just write a $40 check.

Kelly

If the purchaser was going to spend money at Subway anyway, it is a zero sum outcome for them.

One of our sports programs sold Domino's pizza cards for $10. The program gets $5 per card sold, and the buyer of the card can buy an unlimited number of Domino's pizzas at buy 1, get 1 for the life of the card (around 6 months). If you purchase Domino's pizza it is a great deal. If you don't, it is worthless.

Yes, the cards cost the school $10 ears (just guessing) and the school sells the for $20 to make a profit.

If you will not eat at subway, then it is fine to give them money and say you don't want the cards.

Fund raisers are never a "deal" for the purchaser. I would rather pay face value for a subway card than pay for overpriced chocolate that is t very good anyway. At least with subway you know what you will get.

They get a percentage of the card sales. I prefer fundraisers where the person donating gets something out of the deal, or the kids actually do something.

Their summer swim team had a swim a thon where the kids raised money, and actually had to swim for it.

If they were selling the cards for $10 or $15 I'd be all for it. It would make sense.

Kelly

Personally, I am happiest donating to a-thons of various sorts. And they are the only fundraisers I would go to family and friends and ask for sponsors.

• Like 2

Yes, the cards cost the school $10 ears (just guessing) and the school sells the for $20 to make a profit.

If you will not eat at subway, then it is fine to give them money and say you don't want the cards.

Fund raisers are never a "deal" for the purchaser. I would rather pay face value for a subway card than pay for overpriced chocolate that is t very good anyway. At least with subway you know what you will get.

Depends on the Fundraiser. We used to be able to by CitySaver books where we used to live. $20. Coupons were good for a year. The book had a couple of hundred coupons. The advertisers could have up to three coupons in the book. At least one had to be either "Buy one, get one free" "50% off one item". It would take me two coupons to break even. I usually did that the first week. The rest was "gravy". You'd find restaurants, activities, etc. They were good coupons that you would not find in the newspaper or elsewhere.

• Like 1

Fund raisers are never a "deal" for the purchaser. I would rather pay face value for a subway card than pay for overpriced chocolate that is t very good anyway.

Some fundraisers are about location. Like, the library has an on-going chocolate bar sale. The chocolate bars aren't very good, and are overpriced, but they're *there*. If you're at the library and you're hungry, it's either walk/drive multiple blocks or buy the chocolate bar (which, btw, you're not allowed to eat in the library - you have to go downstairs to actually consume it, but that still beats going somewhere else altogether).

And I bet some people consider the high school cheerleading team washing their car to be a 'deal'.

Our baseball organization does a silent auction as the main fundraiser.  They get people to donate whatever, and then people buy whatever. 

I bought a $100 Publix card for $100.  Good deal for the baseball people (the card was donated) with no extra out of my budget.  Win/win.

• Like 1