Menu

Becoming an Architectural Engineer ... please, some guidance

My 8th grade son is interested in becoming an engineer. He LOVES architectural stuff, but also has a strong interest in mechanical engineering as well.

I haven't done any STEM related courses with him other than math through AoPS. I'm finding a lot of computer science and robotics type stuff available for him in our area, but not drawing/drafting/3D design type courses. There is an Arduino Class being offered at our co-op, but I'm not convinced that's the best use of our time if he's interested in Architecture (though for mechanical engineering it might be I just don't know). I feel confused. I know he needs to take advanced courses in math and physics. I'm trying to figure out that one very cool class/subject he could take this year that will give him vision & perhaps goals for his future. 

Thank you for the advice and help in advance!

Michelle

I don't know anything about this field, but...

edX has some courses.  I imagine that MIT and Coursera have some offerings that would be a good fit.

Great Courses has World's Greatest Structures.

My daughter has this book, which is super cool.

Have fun!  

ETA: POst this on the high school board.  You'll get more BTDT responses.

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 1

I am an architect.  We have to do a number of structural engineering classes in school and also, to keep up our certification, need to not forget how to do the engineering of architecture!  That said, I (and most other architects I know) hire structural engineers to do both the rough and exact work of how to size beams, columns, footings, etc. in the buildings we do.  Sure, my training can tell me the header over that window would be a certain size, but unless I did the math to size it, I am mostly working off of gut instinct (and long experience building things!).  My engineer will check my work or just size it herself.  That's what she does.

It's the engineer's design that keeps the building standing.  It's an architect's work to make the building look the way it does (within reason:  budget and physics are two big "if's" of a project).

He may not know, but...is he more artistic or is he more math-y?  Math *is* it, when you look at architectural engineering.  In architecture, it's still all about drawing...and how to communicate effectively with drawing and writing as your primary mode of communication.  Structural engineering, though, is math:  all strength of materials stuff.  And, dirty secret, structural engineers get paid way more than architects do, unless you're a super whiz kid starchitect, and structural engineers get to go home at 5:00 every day...! unlike me, working my crazy hours. 

• Like 8

Focus on math, physics and art for now.

Also play with SketchUp. It is a nice, simple, free architectural design tool.

http://www.sketchup.com

structural engineers get to go home at 5:00 every day...! unlike me, working my crazy hours.

I have earned nice OT pay as a CSE intern, 1.5 times for after 5pm and 2 times for after 9pm, weekends and public holidays. Meals and cab on company expenses. So YMMV.

• Like 2

Thank you, thank you, everyone!! I will cross-post this to the high school board (as Lisabees suggested) and then research every suggestion you all have made. I'm grateful for the insight. I have no idea what I'm doing as far as this art/engineering stuff are concerned. My older daughter was ALL Latin, writing, and reading. Lol!

• Like 1

Which of these books have you used and at what age level? Were you able to find them for a lower price?

I'm curious, too.

Also, how do you fit it in to your day? Is this your science or an elective?

DS is practically frothing at the mouth at the idea, but I have no idea how to find the time. This is my last year with him home (8th) and I'm feeling the pressure to make sure he's "high school ready".

Which of these books have you used and at what age level?  Were you able to find them for a lower price?

I'm curious, too.

Also, how do you fit it in to your day? Is this your science or an elective?

DS is practically frothing at the mouth at the idea, but I have no idea how to find the time. This is my last year with him home (8th) and I'm feeling the pressure to make sure he's "high school ready".

I'm a little embarrassed to say how many of them I own. :lol: I started DS13 on Gateway to Engineering a couple of years ago and he loved it. He lives for textbooks though. (Go figure, I started out thinking I was going to be a strict CM homeschooler. HahaHA. This boy has loved what I refer to as "Fact Books"—DK, Usborne, encyclopedias of any kind, etc.—ever since he was a wee one, before he could even read. I should have been able to read those cards.)

In addition to Gateway to Engineering (this is the one middle school level book in the series), we have Principles of Engineering, Engineering Design, Civil Engineering and Architecture, and Digital Electronics. I have picked them up for anywhere between $40 and $60 each, all in new condition.

They are free reading for this boy who lives for science and engineering. They kind of straddle the line between school and hobby, as  he is a woodworker and fancies himself an inventor. Personally, I would not hesitate to use them in 8th grade as an elective or as a supplement for science. It is so important to me, especially as my kids get closer to high school, that I am engaging them in all the possibilities they find interesting. Even if everything can't make its way onto the official schedule, I think that picking up resources as interests emerge shows respect for passions and peculiarities. :D

• Like 1

Looking at your crosspost in the high school sub forum, what aspect of architectural stuff does he love?

For example models of architecture landmarks made using toothpicks http://www.toothpickworld.com/gallery/

Books by David Macaulay on the inside of buildings (modern and ancient) https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byline_sr_book_1?ie=UTF8&text=David+Macaulay&search-alias=books&field-author=David+Macaulay&sort=relevancerank

It might be worth watching a few episodes of Extreme Home Makeover just to get an idea of the volume of work.

Also how are his visual spatial skills? My hubby suffered through first year engineering CAD/CAM class because he is visual spatial challenged. He is an electrical engineer so not an issue in that field.

My oldest love the floor plans, interior design and the aesthetic aspects of buildings. He enjoys open houses for new developments because there are plenty of floor plans to look at and modify for build to order. He was thinking originally of being an architect but realize he prefer being a property developer. He wants to buy land and build his own house, then buy more land and build to order for others. I was a civil engineer dealing with cruise ships, oil tankers and oil rigs, so rarely land based.

If you have a local makerspace to visit, it might be worth a trip to do some 3D printing. Nothing like making prototypes of your own design and seeing how feasible.

• Like 1

Just a thought for in the future, depending on where you are, the programs may require one quarter/semester or year of introductory chemistry in college.  Quite a few of the western state colleges do so.  It is often a generic requirement for the school of engineering, no matter the final major.  While it may not be relevant now, it may be something he wants to get out of the way through DE, or at least is prepared to complete after his high school studies.  

• Like 2

And, dirty secret, structural engineers get paid way more than architects do, unless you're a super whiz kid starchitect, and structural engineers get to go home at 5:00 every day...! unlike me, working my crazy hours. 

:iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree:

If the choice is between being an architect or engineer, and he can do the math, choose engineer. Engineers have much better job security, pay, job offers, and work hours. Sigh.

• Like 3