Menu

Timeline book or on the wall?

lamolina

I'm listening in because I've really thought a lot about this over the past week. I'm a very visual person and think we'll do the wall. That way you can just SEE it all right there. I found a great timeline to print out on vanilla joy's blog. It looks perfect for us. Then, I don't have to buy multiple sets of timeline pieces. 

Agree on wall for all the reasons above AND...

You can slap ANYTHING that you and your kids want onto a wall timeline.

Not just moments in history, but great composers and artists/works of art. Scientists and philosophers and mathematicians. Invention of the clarinet. Publication dates of great works of literature.

Our wall timeline doesn't look perfect or professional though; in fact, it's kind of crazy, because anyone who wants to add something (including the three year old) can represent it on an index card and tape it up in the proper position.

• Like 2

We have a wall and I love it. My son is going into 9th this year. We're doing World History (all in one year--egads!) and I'm going to have him make a Book of Centuries.

But for the 6th grader? It's still the wall. You don't have to write as much on the wall and you can visualize it much better.

I'm having the 9th grader do the book so that he can write in more details (since it's 9th grade) and because he's had 8 years to visualize the passage of time. And because the timeline will still be there for him to look at whenever he wants.

My vote: the wallfor younger kids and the book when they get older, after they've done a wall. :)

• Like 2

We tried a book for years because I didn't have wall space. It didn't work for us. I just don't think my dc were getting the idea flipping through pages in a book and it was hard to see the span. We moved 2 years ago and I'm finally getting around to putting timelines up on the wall this year. I'm so excited about it!

Not just moments in history, but great composers and artists/works of art. Scientists and philosophers and mathematicians. Invention of the clarinet. Publication dates of great works of literature.

Our wall timeline doesn't look perfect or professional though; in fact, it's kind of crazy, because anyone who wants to add something (including the three year old) can represent it on an index card and tape it up in the proper position.

Your crazy timeline sounds fun! What a great way for all the kids, even the 3yo, to participate.

Yes, this. Ours is color coded. Blue for rulers/leaders, red for wars/battles, brown for documents/books, green for scientists/inventions/discoveries, purple for music/arts etc. 

We put on things the kids have drawn or cut out from magazines (Nat Geo, Smithsonian etc.). 

Love the wall. I have about 5 ft. and use a 24" roll of white craft paper from Walmart. 

• Like 1

Wish I had room for one on the wall.  We do our main ones in a book.  But we do smaller ones for specific units on the large bulletin board.  Like when we studied Revolutionary War our Jackdaws portfolio came with one that we had on the board with other materials.

Currently we are working on an Earth Science unit, and one of our projects is to make one showing the different periods of prehistory. So we will hang that up on the board for awhile.

Wish I had a long hall to do one long one!

I am knee-deep in making the wall one from Vanilla Joy and I couldn't be more excited about it. I love that it is in color! It is taking a lot of ink and will fill up an entire wall, but since I have the space I am going for it. I really think this will be up for the long haul. I can see it even being up when they're in high school (we plan on sending them) as it's just an awesome visual resource!

• Like 1

Ok, we are taking our Ancients timeline down tomorrow so that we can put our MARR one up. I asked Dd to pick the 5 most important dates (besides Biblical ones, which are a given here) to add to her Memory list.

Her first pick, 3700 BC, domestication of the horse. That's my horse-lover! ;)

Edited by ScoutTN