Menu

How to watch NBC olympics w/o cable provider

Tranquility7

I want to watch NBC broadcast tv recorded and fast forward or skip ahead. Just the regular stations, not cable ones.

This is what we have:

Laptop

Kindle

Android tablet

Small flat-screen tv, but no service

Ideally, we could watch on the tv, but the laptop would also be fine.

I really just want to subscribe to something for a month (Hulu? Or something else???) and watch regular nbc tv (I don’t think I care about cable stations). I do not have a cable provider so can’t use anything that requires that.

I guess I’m looking for the modern-day equivalent to an antenna and a VCR, LOL.

Ideas?

Edited by tranquility7

I would guess that someone will be live streaming on Twitch.tv or YouTube. 

You would be able to watch from your laptop. You could get that up to your tv if you have an HDMI cable to hook up your laptop to your tv and use your tv as a second monitor, or have a Chrome Cast to cast your laptop browser to the tv (these are $35 and totally worth it). 

There are more technological ways of getting around the US cable subscription requirement by tricking it into thinking you're in another country (http://www.howtogeek.com/182666/how-to-watch-the-olympics-online-without-a-cable-subscription/), but I would go with trying to find someone else already streaming it and watch theirs. 

You could also try to get a friend or family member (if you know any suckers that still pay for cable) to share their login. 

Edited by joshblade

You really ought to skip NBC for the best Olympic Coverage. I suspect any other country does it better... and LIVE.

Go Tunnel Bear!

Yeah... if only it was easier to set up a VPN for a smart tv or a roku. :( I hate watching that kind of stuff on my tiny laptop.

• Like 2

Yeah... if only it was easier to set up a VPN for a smart tv or a roku. :( I hate watching that kind of stuff on my tiny laptop.

Can't you hook up the laptop to the TV and use TV screen as an output device? We have a cable that does that for us.

• Like 1

Can't you hook up the laptop to the TV and use TV screen as an output device? We have a cable that does that for us.

You can if your computer has an HDMI port. Mine's too old, though.  :glare:  Screen mirroring is another option if your tv is hooked up to the wireless network, but I've never been able to get it to work with my laptop. 

Would love to get Tunnelbear but for some reason their website won't let me pay them. Ugh.

That's strange.  Did you call them and ask for technical assistance?

The nice thing about the $8 is it works for all devices you own.  You don't have to pay more than once for multiple computers.