Menu

The way Amish people dress

Night Elf

I know the types of clothing worn by Amish. What other religion dresses like that? Full length dresses, bonnets, long sleeves, high necks. The man had on a hat with a wide brim and some type of brown pants. I saw them in a pet store and I've never seen anyone in my area dressed like that. It just peaked my curiosity.

What kind of prayer covering was she wearing? (Stiff or soft, black or white, covering her ears or not, ribbons tied or hanging down?) Here are some examples.

Was her dress a solid color or print? Did it have a "cape" on the front (if so, drop shoulder or full cape)?

Beachy Amish drive cars, but married men usually have beards. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

What kind of prayer covering was she wearing? (Stiff or soft, black or white, covering her ears or not, ribbons tied or hanging down?) Here are some examples.

Was her dress a solid color or print? Did it have a "cape" on the front (if so, drop shoulder or full cape)?

Beachy Amish drive cars, but married men usually have beards. 

Oh my, I didn't look that closely. I don't remember her bonnet being white but I honestly can't remember. Her dress didn't have a cape, and the dress was brown. I wasn't close enough to see whether her dress had patterns. She was a few aisles away from me. I was closer to the man. I walked over to see the ferrets and he was standing near, but I didn't stare. They walked out a few feet ahead of me, that's how I saw they had an SUV, but I was focused on getting my dog into the car so I didn't look at them closely.

In my area, there are some Old Order Mennonites who drive dark vehicles and are dressed similar to the Amish.

There are also conservative Mennonites. Generally women wear dresses and and a smaller covering, and the men just wear what would be called "business casual." That varies though. I have a friend who is conservative Mennonite, and she wears a dress and a covering to church, but wears just standard, although conservative covering when she's out. At Jazzercise she wears a loose T-shirt and long workout pants.

Edited by G5052

We have some Mennonites around here, but all the men who have joined the church , which is pretty much all of them, and definitely all of the married men, have beards.  At least, this is my understanding of it - that growing a beard is a reflection of a spiritual decision, not just that of getting married, but the two groups will coincide, because a man who has not joined the church wouldn't be allowed to marry a girl in a Mennonite family, at least not without resulting in them both being shunned.  There are different groups of Mennonites and levels of plain-ness and severity, though.

Dutch Brethren here in Michigan often where similar clothes.

Old German Baptist Brethren

Old Order River Brethren

Some Moravians though most churches have allowed modernization of dress quite a while back. Still, one occasionally will come across plain dress in the oldest elders. Pretty uncommon these days though.

Shakers, but that religion is almost extinct. There are approximately 15 adherents living in two communities - one in Maine, one in New Hampshire.

• Like 1

If the dress had a high neck and long sleeves, I'd probably guess some sort of Brethren, as FaithManor mentioned, although the Old German Baptist Brethren in my area wear cape dresses.

Most plain-dressing Anabaptists wear white prayer coverings, but sometimes they wear black bonnets over the coverings when they are out. 

There are some Christians who do not belong to any particular denomination but still cover and wear plain clothing. That is a possibility as well, especially considering the clean-shaven man and light brown SUV. 

Or maybe they were wearing historical reenactment costumes?  :001_smile: 

There is a family in my area who dresses up in an Amish-like way to sell their vegetables. I am almost positive they are not actually Anabaptists. The difference in their dress is very obvious to me but probably not to people from outside our community.  I find it very disrespectful.

• Like 2

There is a family in my area who dresses up in an Amish-like way to sell their vegetables. I am almost positive they are not actually Anabaptists. The difference in their dress is very obvious to me but probably not to people from outside our community.  I find it very disrespectful.

We have one of those families.  It is beyond disrespectful IMHO.  One good thing is that once people found out in a certain market, they didn't come back to that one.  Unfortunately, they are still in other markets.  

• Like 3

About the beards - that isn't always a full-proof sign, simply because some men can't really grow a beard.

I was guessing Mennonite myself, and while around here most have beards, a few don't, and it seems to be the guys who would only have a bit of fuzz if they didn't shave.