Menu

? about lens for eyeglasses

Pam L in Mid Tenn

I have worn Progressive lenses for over 10 years.

I have had the more expensive ones; I have had the cheapest ones.

After I period of adjusting to the new lens and new script, I honestly have not been able to tell the difference.

Now... I have a new script and need new glasses. (So does my son and my dh. All 3 of us wear progressives.)

Even going the least expensive route it will cost a lot for 3 pairs of glasses!

We will have to get one pair a month for the next 3 months probably.

Anyway, my question....

I am being told that" progressives have really improved in the last few years".... that I "will be able to see much more clearly" with the more expensive lens.... that I "certainly do not want nor would I be pleased with the least expensive and lowest quality" lens!  

Is all this just sales hype?

Dh said that my script changes every year and we should just get the least expensive lenses in our glasses.

Are the more expensive lenses REALLY "better"/ "best"?

As I am typing now, I don't think I really need a "wider range of vision". I just need to see the monitor and keyboard clearly. I think I need to see a "focal point" clearly and therefore the cheaper lenses would be fine.

Any eye docs or opticians in the hive to help me?

(We do not have really "heavy" or "bad" scripts.)

Thanks!

I have a very complex prescription, and I also use Progressive lenses.  My last pair were very expensive.  This pair I got recently I got through Costco.  The Costco glasses were better.  Why?  It was the better prescription through a much better eye doctor that made the difference.  The cheaper pair are WAY better.  I see SO MUCH MORE CLEARLY.  Costco glasses were just fine.  They are great, in fact.  No issues at all with the lenses and in fact they are lighter weight than the really expensive ones I got before.  The biggest difference, though, is that the prescription is now actually accurate.

I say make sure you have a really reliable eye doctor that can give a really in depth exam of your eyes.  Put your money in the exam and the accuracy of the prescription then get the glasses at Costco, if you have one in your area.

• Like 1

This doc actually "fixed" my script last year. So, he knew exactly how to do my eye exam this time. I trust his script and would feel comfortable to return to him for help if needed.

I have been several places for quotes. I am getting a quote of $88 to $97 for the "least expensive" plastic lens. About $175 for the "better" and upwards from there.

I am deciding between the really cheap $88 to $97 VS about $175.  I can not afford more than $200 for lens.  I really want a full pair of glasses for less than $250 IF that is possible with progressives!

I really want a full pair of glasses for less than $250 IF that is possible with progressives!

It will be way less than that if you go with Zenni.  I know some people think you can't do progressives well online but honestly, there are only so many ways to divide the lens and I don't think an optician with a sharpie marking on a lens in a store (which is how I had a pair marked a few years ago) is any more precise than just evenly distributing the rx across the progressive. 

I have a very complex prescription, and I also use Progressive lenses.  My last pair were very expensive.  This pair I got recently I got through Costco.  The Costco glasses were better.  Why?  It was the better prescription through a much better eye doctor that made the difference.  The cheaper pair are WAY better.  I see SO MUCH MORE CLEARLY.  Costco glasses were just fine.  They are great, in fact.  No issues at all with the lenses and in fact they are lighter weight than the really expensive ones I got before.  The biggest difference, though, is that the prescription is now actually accurate.

I say make sure you have a really reliable eye doctor that can give a really in depth exam of your eyes.  Put your money in the exam and the accuracy of the prescription then get the glasses at Costco, if you have one in your area.

Agreed, as long as whatever eye place you use checks lenses against the prescription as they come in and is picky about quality (and balancing that with your own vision issues). Since you said none of you have really severe Rxs, you are probably fine.

My son has a pretty strong Rx, and our doctor has had to send his lenses back due to quality issues. They were issues that she said would make a difference for him, but not necessarily for someone with my vision. My mother is in the same boat--her filled Rx really needs to be through someone who knows her eyes or who will take the same level of care that her optometrist would. 

Dh just got a pair that was pricey but he is happy with them.  I have worn varilux for years and been pleased.  My most recent pair are varilux synchronEyes and I'm happier with them than any others I've had.  Dd just a new pair of single vision zeiss lenses that she is amazingly happy with.  She says it is the best vision she has ever had.  So, I guess basically I don't know what to tell you.  I think IMHO that fitting progressive lenses is an art.  I always ask for a certain optician to fit me.  I've had progresses that have been a problem because of the fitting/adjusting. 

Don't order from Zenni.  Seriously, just don't.  I had to file a complaint with the BBB and issue a chargeback on my credit card last month to get them to even ship my glasses to me recently.  As a result I read all the complaints on the BBB website and several friends have shared nightmare stories with me.  Universally, they used to be good but have grown too much, too fast, and have terrible customer service.  A simple prescrition might be fine, but it can potentially take more than twice as long as they say to even get a complex prescription past their own quality control, let alone shipped to you.  And when you do finally get them, if you take them back to your eyedoctor to be checked, chances are they will be the wrong prescription anyway.

For backup glasses for contacts they might be fine, but don't order complex lenses from them.  Ever.  I'm not against discounts, but go to a place like Costco where there is an employee IN FRONT of you, not in China, to deal with potential problems.

I love Zenni's. I've probably ordered 20 pairs from the over the years no problem at all.  I did screw up my order once (completely my fault) and they gave me 100% store credit so I could reorder them.  I've gotten progressives from them and they are great. 

I've ordered 8 pairs from them and only had a problem with the most recent order.  But it was bad enough that I'll never buy from them again.

Costco recently came in first on a Best Of list. Their glasses are excellent. I've been using them for years.

A young woman I know gets her glasses through the mail. Her lenses aren't progressive, but she raves about the "mail" glasses. I haven't had the courage, but would try them in your situation. She uses WarbyParker.com.

The glasses are so inexpensive that if you don't like them, you're hardly out of any money. And the ones she wears are very cute.

Alley