Menu

How often do you encounter anti-Arab sentiment?

maize

Never. But I live in a bubble :P

I will sometimes hear people speaking in Arabic when I'm out and about, and will sometimes engage them by speaking with them in my limited conversational Arabic. After getting over the surprise that big-tall blue-eyed white guy knows a little Arabic passes, it is always neat to see how well appreciated it is.

Bill

How big is your bubble I wonder?

My Iraqi friend is in your general area. She gets rude remarks in spite of the diversity.

How big is your bubble I wonder?

My Iraqi friend is in your general area. She gets rude remarks in spite of the diversity.

Big bubble. The liberal part of Los Angeles.

And I cut bigots out of my life so fast that I don't deal with it.

Life is too short. I did, however, watch TV last night. Nightmare.

Bill

My daughter's future roommate is Muslim. She was terrified when she (the roommate) learned she was rooming with someone from the Deep South. Took my daughter, myself, and my husband speaking with her and her parents to convince her it would be all right.

So anti- something can run both ways.

• Like 1

I occasionally run across blatant anti-Arab sentiment, and it always surprises me. Is this really a common thing in American society? Mostly I hear about it second hand when talking to people from the Middle East--a friend from Iraq who evades questions about where she is from because she has had too many negative responses in the past, or recently a woman from Syria who was here for medical treatment and had some really nasty encounters with people. Neither of these particular women is even Islamic so it's not just religious bias working against them. One (supposedly Christian) man specifically told the Syrian woman (who he knew was a Christian) that he would never help an Arab.

I was talking with some other parents this week about foreign language instruction (in the context of immersion programs in elementary school) and mentioned that ideally I would have my children learn Chinese, Spanish, and Arabic. One man reacted to just the mention of the Arabic language as if I had suggested exposing my children to the bubonic plague.

Occasionally but more often it's anti Muslim.

Never.

But we live in a fairly liberal university town.

And most people who know us well enough for even casual conversation know that we host university exchange students, some from the Middle East. They attend gatherings and outings and even visit our church, so it is unlikely that someone would make remarks in our hearing.

I have had a couple people ask me if I am afraid to host an Arab/Muslim student. While a student was living with us. I looked at them quizzically and said, "Of course not! Why would I be afraid?" I just think that's such a weird question because--duh--I've welcomed them into my home and family. Good golly. (I mean, I guess going a few months without adding bacon to everything is a little scary...but that's pretty much the extent of it.)

At least part of this will be affected by the sorts of conversations that come up in your life. I got plenty of negative comments about studying Arabic twenty years ago (people always asked if I wanted to be a terrorism expert), but that was because I told them I was minoring in Arabic. It wouldn't have come up in most conversations.

I feel like I am having to defend Islam and Muslims of every ethnicity all the time (except when I'm living in a Muslim country).

• Like 2

I feel like I am having to defend Islam and Muslims of every ethnicity all the time (except when I'm living in a Muslim country).

Me too, and I'm not even of a related religion.

It's weird, but it kinda goes along with the peace, love and mung beans stuff I'm into. :p

Me too, and I'm not even of a related religion.

It's weird, but it kinda goes along with the peace, love and mung beans stuff I'm into. :p

Hmmmmmm, mung beans. I love mung beans.

Around here Muslim and Arab are mostly interchangeable. I hear some from fellow homeschooling moms and my family - but I only talk to them when absolutely necessary and they don't live around here. 2/7 of the neigh it's on my street and they are lovely. We have always had great relationships - I've always wanted to ask about their experiences here but can't manage without being uncomfortable.