Menu

S/O trampoline - what are your rules?

Spryte

One person jumping when there are flips involved. I only let my own kids flip unless the other kids parents are present. Bigs know to watch for littles. Don't crash purposely or pull on netting. We ask all friends parents permission, some are ok with it some not, so we don't use it when those friends are here. No eating and jumping. My kids will often take picnic on the trampoline, which is fine, but they have to finish and clear everything before jumping. Bare feet. No hard items.

Edited by Gentlemommy
  • Like 1

Pretty much what everyon else has said. My kids want to use the sprinkler while on the tramp. My gut response was "no way" but dh thinks I'm a stick in the mud.

Water and trampolines mix just fine in our experience. We're in Arizona and there is a significant number of weeks ours would be unusable without the hose going on the mist setting.

Water and trampolines mix just fine in our experience. We're in Arizona and there is a significant number of weeks ours would be unusable without the hose going on the mist setting.

We have friends who put the sprinkler under the trampoline. The kids love it.

I haven't agreed to do it - feared it would be too slippery. Do you find it's not slippery? I see the appeal.

We have friends who put the sprinkler under the trampoline. The kids love it.

I haven't agreed to do it - feared it would be too slippery. Do you find it's not slippery? I see the appeal.

The mesh allows the water to drain rather than pooling. My 17yo said you can make it slippery if you try hard enough to slide but none of them have ever accidentally slipped while just jumping. We've had a series of trampolines for...15-16 years now. Wow. I feel old now.

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 1

So two people are ok at a time? Just trying to learn, I've not owned one. The first time I jumped in one was in college and the two people thing caused me a bloody lip. But we were probably being stupid (and I didn't know protocol!)

Our rule would be (assuming the two of us ever agreed to get one and one of us won't) only one child on at a time.

Why?

Because when DD was 5, jumping with another 5yo, though the little girl was bigger than DD, both little girls went up, up, up and one little girl came down on the other.  DD's leg broke at about the shin.  It really wasn't *that* big of a deal - she healed up nicely.  But when my cousin broke some part (I think it was her arm) it was in the growth plate area and more problematic.

I think our incident was a fluke.  Unfortunately ;) DH does not agree.  No trampoline here, but adding my .02.

• Like 1

I think some are small enough that I'd have a one-occupant rule, and also, some kids are wilder (ie playing tag, trying to get in each other's space) or less spacially aware (unintentionally) than others.

My situation is ok with 2, occasionally 3 jumpers respectfully jumping up and down. I wouldn't say that's a universal rule for all kids on all trampolines.

---

We also do the sprinkler underneath. Sometimes they slip, but it's not crazy. It's similar (textually) to the way you can slip on wet grass.

• Like 1

Our rule would be (assuming the two of us ever agreed to get one and one of us won't) only one child on at a time.

Why?

Because when DD was 5, jumping with another 5yo, though the little girl was bigger than DD, both little girls went up, up, up and one little girl came down on the other.  DD's leg broke at about the shin.  It really wasn't *that* big of a deal - she healed up nicely.  But when my cousin broke some part (I think it was her arm) it was in the growth plate area and more problematic.

I think our incident was a fluke.  Unfortunately ;) DH does not agree.  No trampoline here, but adding my .02.

Ouch.  That was s sympathetic like.

Those are my big fears, too, and the reason we didn't have a trampoline till now.  I waffle between loving it and fearing it.  We have a true horror story in our family, so I really understand the fear.

Ouch.  That was s sympathetic like.

Those are my big fears, too, and the reason we didn't have a trampoline till now.  I waffle between loving it and fearing it.  We have a true horror story in our family, so I really understand the fear.

I believe that is the most common injury:  2 jumpers timed wrong cause bounce back at the wrong time and results in broken legs or other injury.  That's why we have the 1 jumper at a time, no matter the age or size :).

• Like 1