Menu

Making Falafels from hummus?

DawnM

I have a surplus of hummus and we don't eat it often enough to get through it before it will go bad.

Is there a way to make Falafels straight from hummus?  

I thought that may be a good thing to make and add to salads.

Need a good recipe for the yogurt dipping sauce/dressing too.

I don't see this working well. Both contain chickpeas but the texture is very different. Hummus is generally very smooth. Raw falafel is chunkier, more like finely chopped than fully puréed. If you add the other ingredients of falafel to smooth hummus I don't think you are going to get anything that will hold together long enough to cook into little balls.

I eat a lot of hummus ON my falafel so making a lot of falafel (easy to make ahead and reheat) would be a way for me to up an excess of hummus.

You can also freeze hummus.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

I've only had falafel made with chickpeas, but they're coarsely ground. Hummus would make mush balls. I'd just stick the extra in the freezer. :)

Same here with only having falafel made with chickpeas. 

Have you tried freezing it?  I have thought of that because I always have more than I can go through quickly.

• Like 1

I never make falafel with tahini, so it wouldn't quite work for me. I actually like a more rustic hummus that is a bit thicker and not puréed, but I've learned that if I want help eating it I need to purée it rendering it a bit thin for falafel.

What I've been doing lately so I'm not caught in this very position is to cook the chickpeas and freeze them and their juices separately. Then I can pull them for a single recipe of hummus OR use them for falafel. If I'm making falafel, I don't use any of the broth at all.

So, I don't think the hummus-to-falafel plan would work,because you'd need a filler to thicken it and that would leave them tasting bland OR you'd thicken them with more chickpeas and that would leave you with too much falafel instead of too much hummus. I'd freeze the hummus and start all over making falafel.

Darn, now I want falafel!

• Like 2

I never make falafel with tahini, so it wouldn't quite work for me. I actually like a more rustic hummus that is a bit thicker and not puréed, but I've learned that if I want help eating it I need to purée it rendering it a bit thin for falafel.

What I've been doing lately so I'm not caught in this very position is to cook the chickpeas and freeze them and their juices separately. Then I can pull them for a single recipe of hummus OR use them for falafel. If I'm making falafel, I don't use any of the broth at all.

So, I don't think the hummus-to-falafel plan would work,because you'd need a filler to thicken it and that would leave them tasting bland OR you'd thicken them with more chickpeas and that would leave you with too much falafel instead of too much hummus. I'd freeze the hummus and start all over making falafel.

Darn, now I want falafel!

ME TOO!

I went to a new salad restaurant and had THE BEST salad.  Greens with yogurt Mediterranean dressing and cut up falafels in it.  It was SO GOOD.  I want to try to replicate it.

Hummus is usually made from chickpeas and falafels from broad beans (lava beans) so I imagine not.

If you eat mashed potatoes, you can mash in some hummus with no ill effects. It freezes okay too.

I didn't know I could freeze it!  Thanks.  And why can't I "like" your post?  the icon isn't there.

I didn't know I could freeze it!  Thanks.  And why can't I "like" your post?  the icon isn't there.

Rest assured that hummus freezes like a dream.  My kids consume vast quantities of hummus.  Every couple weeks I make several batches and freeze it.  I usually freeze it in muffin tins, then when frozen pop it out and put in plastic bags. Then I bring up the 'hummus pucks' as we refer to them, every couple days. It is identical to freshly made hummus.

I believe falafel is made from chickpeas that have been soaked and ground, but maybe not yet cooked?  Maybe it's the frying that cooks the beans?  I'm obviously not clear on this.

And FYI they freeze as well.  I always think I should make a big batch of falafel  and then pull some out for sandwiches, but I really, really don't like to deep fry in the house. I prefer to leave it to someone else to clean up the kitchen after that.

and you can't like Rosie's posts because we all just love her so much that her like button evaporated!

JK she's a moderator so no like button for her.  But we do love her

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 5

Egyptian falafels are made from fava beans or a fava/chickpea mixture.  Many other Middle Eastern countries make them from chickpeas alone...but the key is they are soaked and ground, not cooked.  I've found a few recipes that used canned cooked chickpeas, but they never seem to turn out.

My husband made a dish which was kind of supposed to be like a take on fuul, which is an Egyptian fava bean dish.  I call it Breakfast Hummus.  Cook some chopped garlic in olive oil and then add in your hummus to heat it.  You can add in salt, pepper, and cumin to taste. Stir in some lemon (if you like things lemony....we do).  Serve it with poached eggs on top (or sunny side up, over-easy, or even hardboiled) and bread.   It was good.

But if you can freeze the hummus (never tried it), I'd do that.

Oh...add hummus to the list of Arabic words you guys already know.  Hummus is the arabic word for chickpeas as well as the actual dish.  (You can also replace the "ps" with "bs" and add bizza and Bebsi to your Arabic food repertoire.  If you know French, ananas is the same (pineapple) in Arabic and French.)

Edited by umsami
  • Like 1

Hummus from the freezer is perfect for summer outings.  By the time you're ready for lunch, it will be largely defrosted, but in the meantime it will help keep other things cold.  A bag of carrots, some red pepper slices, or a nice loaf of bread from the bread machine (pre-set the night before to be ready first thing in the morning) are all great options to go with the hummus on your outing.

Egyptian falafels are made from fava beans or a fava/chickpea mixture. Many other Middle Eastern countries make them from chickpeas alone...but the key is they are soaked and ground, not cooked. I've found a few recipes that used canned cooked chickpeas, but they never seem to turn out.

My husband made a dish which was kind of supposed to be like a take on fuul, which is an Egyptian fava bean dish. I call it Breakfast Hummus. Cook some chopped garlic in olive oil and then add in your hummus to heat it. You can add in salt, pepper, and cumin to taste. Stir in some lemon (if you like things lemony....we do). Serve it with poached eggs on top (or sunny side up, over-easy, or even hardboiled) and bread. It was good.

But if you can freeze the hummus (never tried it), I'd do that.

Oh...add hummus to the list of Arabic words you guys already know. Hummus is the arabic word for chickpeas as well as the actual dish. (You can also replace the "ps" with "bs" and add bizza and Bebsi to your Arabic food repertoire. If you know French, ananas is the same (pineapple) in Arabic and French.)

And combuter and Associated Bress

I actually tried a little experiment and used about 1 c hummus, an egg, bread crumb, and seasoning and fried it up.  I topped it with yogurt, dill, and lemon juice.  

It wasn't really falafel but it was decent enough to eat.

• Like 2